Cyclamatic foldaway

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
NO IT IS NOT!

We have never and will never deal with the company that makes these batteries, they were passing them off as Wisper, we have NOTHING to do with them.
That's quite a robust statement about the manufacturer of my battery, now I'm starting to wonder what's wrong with that company? I guess it's just the sticker.

I have also noticed how similar some aspects of my bike are to the folding Wisper bikes too.

I had another ride today, as long as you're not in a rush it's OK, if you ease off on the effort you put in it feels good, I'd say that if you lived somewhere flat you'd be better off with an ordinary bike, I find it slow on the flat and downhill, pedalling above the assistance level isn't very rewarding, but it does work well up the hills.

Despite having M.E I still prefer to pedal a bit, so I now realise a good pedelec system is needed, this bike has just one power level. Can I take it that more sophisticated systems have different assist levels?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's quite a robust statement about the manufacturer of my battery, now I'm starting to wonder what's wrong with that company? I guess it's just the sticker.
Zhenlong are one of the companies making cheap batteries for the budget bike market. That sort of company doesn't put in the research effort simply becaue they haven't the margins at their prices to do so. They just manufacture using commonly known specifications and in consequence, they lag behind in battery performance.

The top Japanese and Chinese companies such as Panasonic, Lishen, Phylion and Advanced do all the long term in-depth research and their prices reflect the high costs of that work. We get the extra benefits of that in terms of the life and performance of their latest designs. Whether the extra cost is worthwhile for the gain is for us to decide and buy accordingly. Personally I prefer the best performance regardless of cost, but others will prefer the lowest cost option.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks for the explantion Tony :)

I think one day soon I'll end up with a much higher spec e-bike, but for now I'm enjoying the experience, just so long as I accept the limitations of my current bike.

Having said that I feel fairly confident this foldaway would allow me to pedal up Winnatts Pass. In fact I will take the bike in the car to the bottom and see if it will get me up there!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having said that I feel fairly confident this foldaway would allow me to pedal up Winnatts Pass. In fact I will take the bike in the car to the bottom and see if it will get me up there!
The small wheel folders are all quite good at climbing, the physics in their favour. On the other hand they mostly suffer from undergearing with top gear too low, only some pricey options overcoming that problem.

Rach

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for the explantion Tony :)

I think one day soon I'll end up with a much higher spec e-bike, but for now I'm enjoying the experience, just so long as I accept the limitations of my current bike.

I'd love to know if this does get up Winnatts Pass! I used to travel from Buxton to Castleton to work on a trusty 50cc Honda many moons ago. I was amazed the scooter could manage it never mind a leccy bike :eek:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'll give it a go when I've recovered from my ride yesterday, recovery takes a few days with the M.E. even then my own battery only ever gets up to 20% of full.

I wonder what sort of Honda 50 you used to ride? edit just seen it was a scooter ;)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

I have also noticed how similar some aspects of my bike are to the folding Wisper bikes too.

I had another ride today, as long as you're not in a rush it's OK, if you ease off on the effort you put in it feels good, I'd say that if you lived somewhere flat you'd be better off with an ordinary bike, I find it slow on the flat and downhill, pedalling above the assistance level isn't very rewarding, but it does work well up the hills.

Despite having M.E I still prefer to pedal a bit, so I now realise a good pedelec system is needed, this bike has just one power level. Can I take it that more sophisticated systems have different assist levels?
There isn`t anyway of controlling the pedelec power (on none of my bikes either) but the motor is very progressive to the throttle so maybe use the throttle in conjunction with pedalling.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
At the moment I find the pedelec fine really, I just thought that if you had a much more powerful bike you'd want a way of adjusting how much assistance you get, lots for the hills and a little less on the flat.

I had another outing on Saturday and have to say it is fantastic to be out and about on a bike, since getting M.E I've not really been able to ride a bike due to the hills around here.

I think the chain problem is down to the angle when in top gear, going over bumps, a very long run and perhaps being a tad slack. That 55T could be fine with the extra tension it gives.

Just had to tighten the headstock, it had come really loose.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Wisper have a high/Low pedelec switch box, and I believe that some kits also have variable power settings. TBH though, I've found the best solution has been to leave it in Low mode (I have a Wisper 905se BTW), and vary the power with he throttle, it takes a little practise but ultimately rewarding, with the fine control achievable. If I were you, I'd disconnect the pedelec sensor and simply use the throttle.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Throttle

Just for the records I totally agree with you Straylight! It takes a bit of getting used to but it is most economic with power and gives the rider complete control.

Regards

David

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The Quando looks the nicest with the straight downtube, that must be a single speed then with a rear-hub motor?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it is Arstu, 48 tooth chainwheel with 14 tooth BMX freewheel, gear at just under 70".

Still a wicked hill climber though, due to the highest power Bafang motor version.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Claimed my first cycling victim today, oh what joy to pass a pretty fit looking cyclist hard at work on my sit-up and beg folder :D