Current yose kit build

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Well I finished it.
Bit of tinkering to do cutting cables as I don't have crimp ends, and I need to add rear lights and bell ect. But it's going. I think the rear rack looks terrible tbh. Maybe a bag over will help?
Had my time again I don't think I'd of converted this old bike. Was not ideal without disc brakes and other problems I had. Learnt loads though
View attachment 52522
I'd extend the rack supports as long as they will go and move them as low as possible down the frame. The fixings are normally close to the axle.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
No, it won't help. Rack not only looks terrible, but also it is a really bad design. You want your rack to be as low above mud guard as possible.
Yes indeed. That rack is a seat-post clamp design and can't go lower. Any load on it will make the centre of gravity too high. The OP needs a more conventional rack which can be set much lower over the wheel, like this:-

WP_20230625_18_36_07_Pro_LI.jpg

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Looks good except the rack. That'll have to go :) It's a shame the frame doesn't seem to have bolt holes on the rear diagonal tubes to accommodate a rack. Is there a bolt hole to fit the top of the mudguard that you can use to support a conventional rack?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is there room to put the main beam between the seat stays and clamp below the crossbar? That would sort it completely.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I like your cable management.
Bottle holder on fork? Interesting... Does it work well in practice? It doesn't get dirty or affect steering?
Thank you.:)
I was lucky that, despite the bike being near the bottom of the 90's Giant MTB range, it includes threaded mounts for a low-rider rack on the forks. The bottle cage uses one of these plus a clear zip-tie. It works well -doesn't affect the steering much with a full bottle and I'm able to reach easily. The steering does "flop" a little more when stationary but I've got a decent prop stand on the rear chainstay so it's not a problem. I could equal it up with one the other side, but I don't really need that much liquid on a ride. I've not had any problems with it getting dirty.
Losing a bottle mount is one of the things I don't like about downtube batteries and I put the battery on a rear rack on my hybrid - no so good for weight distribution though.

Reactions: Az.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Personally I don't like Yose bag. I didn't bother to put it on. You can work a bit on cable management. At least replace zip ties with velcro straps on fork.
I actually like the yose bag. I usually cycle with it half unzipped so that plenty of air gets to the controller. I have also made a bigger hole at the bottom that allows air in but no rain. (The controller is tied up higher in the bag) I can also put my hand down and feel/monitor the controller temperature at any time. ( The older 350W 280rpm kit Kt controllers tended to run hot) I can fully zip up the bag if it rains.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I actually like the yose bag. I usually cycle with it half unzipped so that plenty of air gets to the controller. I have also made a bigger hole at the bottom that allows air in but no rain. (The controller is tied up higher in the bag) I can also put my hand down and feel/monitor the controller temperature at any time. ( The older 350W 280rpm kit Kt controllers tended to run hot) I can fully zip up the bag if it rains.
I think Wayners has kit with controller integrated into battery holder, so bag is used only to keep cables in.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Yes. I don't really need bag because I don't have much cable to tuck in. I carry a small tool kit in bag.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update.
Lowered rack. Removed end saddle mount and made a bracket and small bit of wooden ply to hold in place.
Use one rivnut at bottom of rack.
Couple of zip ties and Jobs iz a goodun. It's good enough and I'll feed some wires through for a rear light.
Lots of tinkering for amusement tbh.
Won't buy another seat mounted rack. Not good are they. This is now a better height.

Fitting a new front derailleur to match changer brand tomorrow.
Then next job is a rear lights and those tyres to swap for something thicker.

16888454917796122151716411001652.jpg16888457746061316870214625738859.jpg

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
This "Front suspension" label is a bit misleading, isn't it? ;)

Rack looks flimsy, but much better than before. Is it Topeak MTX compatible?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
It was £15 off eBay when I had no clue what I was buying.
They have gone up in price I see.
It's ok now I modified it but I doubt it would take 50kg as quoted in advert.
Next one I get will be a Topeak.
For now I have a plastic box I'll strap on to carry stuff.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
This build is on a budget using what I have.

Old tool bag zip tied to rack. Pops up nicely. Get loads in it.

And when it rains or dark nights
IMG-20230709-WA0008.jpeg

Oh, my garage is piled up from kit off my old van as it's for sale.
I've shut my business. Current economic climate I'd had enough of it tbh. Going another direction.
Going to turn garage into a workshop, and soon as I get some space I'll start another ebike conversion however, the next one will be better and reality nice. Planning it already. Just need to clear 35 years of tools.
Need new saddle though. Current one is causing a black backside. Hence the bag. Ha. Lidl sell good ones I hear.
Think I've finished this build now regarding the yose power kit. I'd recommend it as a first kit. Sensible money Vs some to try out a build. Learnt so much.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Some interesting improvisation with the rack. Not sure how well the rivet & cable ties will hold long term, but it's a starting point :)

Hope the job situation improves & the next build goes well.

Reactions: Wayners