Current yose kit build

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Hi all.
Just posting for interest as new here.
This is my current ebike build.
Waiting for new second hand set of forks as the ones fitted don't line up well.
Tried to grind the forks but decided to buy a ridged set that will work properly. Got lucky with those on eBay.
This is my first build as not worked on a bike for over 35 years. It's a learning curve.
New rear axel and 6 speed freewheel.
New sealed bottom bearing and who knew they made sealed replacement? I never but got one.
New tubes and tyres.
Got loads more to do. Not the 3 hour quoted conversation as has taken 2 days work so far. Ha. Keep having to stop and buy tools or parts takes time.. it's a 22 inch zoom X fire bike and I don't think it was ever sold in UK.
Was a store import sample I was offered it for free. Its not good quality tbh. Solid steel though and old. Bit rusty as was left in rain for 2 years before I got it.
Would of been easier to buy a bike and convert but this is something I want to learn with.
Can you get centre changer chain guard thing. Mine is plastic and gone yellow? Not in picture as taken off.
Oh. Waiting for new chain from Amazon..

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Hi all.
Just posting for interest as new here.
This is my current ebike build.
Waiting for new second hand set of forks as the ones fitted don't line up well.
Tried to grind the forks but decided to buy a ridged set that will work properly. Got lucky with those on eBay.
This is my first build as not worked on a bike for over 35 years. It's a learning curve.
New rear axel and 6 speed freewheel.
New sealed bottom bearing and who knew they made sealed replacement? I never but got one.
New tubes and tyres.
Got loads more to do. Not the 3 hour quoted conversation as has taken 2 days work so far. Ha. Keep having to stop and buy tools or parts takes time.. it's a 22 inch zoom X fire bike and I don't think it was ever sold in UK.
Was a store import sample I was offered it for free. Its not good quality tbh. Solid steel though and old. Bit rusty as was left in rain for 2 years before I got it.
Would of been easier to buy a bike and convert but this is something I want to learn with.
Can you get centre changer chain guard thing. Mine is plastic and gone yellow? Not in picture as taken off.
Oh. Waiting for new chain from Amazon..

View attachment 51944
Front wheel and forks look back to front. I hope you have put the motor/wheel in the right way round with respect to the forks?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@WheezyRider

Good spot. Wheel flipped around and I never noticed. Steerer is loose as new forks coming tomorrow. Just took photo for interest.

@Az.
Yeah.
Tyres and tubes I had already, but it became a money pit having spent £70 on it in the last week. I've got mudguards and lights already. Got a rear rack boxed somewhere I bought. It's more a learning project tbh that I'm enjoying tinkering with. If these £14 forks go on tomorrow then it will be worth it. If they don't fit I could be in trouble! It's a 22 Inch frame and steel so that's a plus as I'm just over 6 foot.
Truth is. I'd of been better buying a bike already fitted out. Kit was £363 from UK site

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Bargain £14 forks arrived and fit a treat.
You will all sleep tonight. Ha.. Just sprayed metallic black as they were very bright red.
Result. The build is progressing slowly but that was a worry. Well for me..
PXL_20230609_163505864.jpg

Reactions: WheezyRider

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Steel forks don't need torque arms. That saves you hassle if ever you need to take the wheel off. Also don't forget that the wire should exit downwards from the motor. You're going to kick youself when I tell you you should have got disc brake forks, or you could have welded on a disc brake mount before you painted them.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've got a welder. I thought about welding adapter on forks? Is that a thing?..
I can still do that. Plenty of paint here.
Regarding torque arm. I won't fit then if not required.

I could not find any disc forks 25.4mm with 175 steerer.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

If you go to the tip, you often see steel disc brake forks on the cheap catalogue bikes chucked in a skip. A few years back, I found a whole bike in a skip with steel frame and forks with disc brakes. I gave the guy a fiver for it, the BB was shot, the chain was rusty and the brakes were shot. I put in a new BB, added hydraulic brakes, put in the motor, battery etc, and I had a nice bike for about £500 that I used for a 1000 miles in one month no maintenance winter test to prove that theere was nothing wrong with cheap bikes. After the test, I sold it to a forum member.

Whole bike here with steel disc brake suspension forks:
perfect for conversion:

Last edited:
Reactions: Az.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@saneagle

I've been looking for a cheap bike around me. They always seem to be 100+ miles away. Looked at eBay. Gumtree ect.
I need a large bike with most being too small. I'm not ready for another just now but your advice is good and I plan to follow.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ebay and Gumtree sellers tend to never want to deliver or post, and the best bargains as you say are often many miles away. Search reguarly, what you are looking for may turn up eventually nearby at the right price, as they often have for me. Or the same bike can sometimes be bought at Cashconverters and Cashgenerators for about twice the cost.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
[QUOTE="guerney, post: 682778, member:
Ebay and Gumtree sellers never want to deliver or post, and the best bargains as you say are often many miles away. Search reguarly, what you are looking for may turn up eventually nearby at the right price, as they often have for me. Or the same bike can sometimes be bought at Cashconverters and Cashgenerators for about twice the cost.
[/QUOTE]
There's also often a bicycle recycling charity in your town too. They take scap bikes and either strip them for spares or repair them, so you can buy either an unrepaired one or a fixed one.

Don't forget that buckled wheels are no problem if you're going to replace it with a motor wheel. All the other parts that you see worn out on well used and neglected cheap bikes are easy to replace with good quality parts that don't cost much.

I see all these guys on this forum buying new bikes to convert, which just doesn't make sense to me when you immediately invalidate any warranty by fitting a kit, and they're normally asking about the Cycle to Work scheme because they haven't got enough money. You can buy a whole bike for the same price as a single repayment of the CTW scheme. Most of the advantages of an expensive bike go out of the window when you fit a motor and battery to one.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Forks on. Easy job.
Just swapping breaks and think I need thread lock? Also need to look up which side of fork stem break cable goes.
I'm swapping break cables and never done that before. Never setup breaks either.
I put torque arm on as I've got one. Use some self amalgamating tape under the arm.
This is slow going but enjoying it..

1686426257117400643190892238118.jpg16864266771701804138969639706296.jpg16864266771701804138969639706296.jpg
Cables everywhere. Not tight yet, or in correct position, I need to get it all connected up then I tighten

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
View attachment 52009

Did you put washers there to fill up recess?
Inside and outside?
Well yes, but I'm not sure I've done it correctly tbh.. I'll have to look it up and see If I can find example as I'm unsure..

PXL_20230611_193706945.jpg
From left to right
Hub supplied thick washer with the bit going through forks. Then the c washer that came with torque arm. Then torque arm and nut.

Guess it's the outside recess that needs a washer. That will bring it flat.
I'll take apart both side and look again.. The side in photo has c washer. Maybe a full round washer would be better..

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yose is selling many kits. Mine was designed for flat forks. I had to buy extra washers, without them it wouldn't be safe to install front wheel. It is easy to overlook it.

Edit: outside

Reactions: Wayners

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Yose is selling many kits. Mine was designed for flat forks. I had to buy extra washers, without them it wouldn't be safe to install front wheel. It is easy to overlook it.

Edit: outside
Yes, I had to drill out the existing washers from the old wheel to fit the larger diameter of the motor axle as they fill out the gap made by the "lawyer's lips" (as I think they are sometimes referred to :) ) and then the motor axle nut is seated properly.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Inside and outside?
Well yes, but I'm not sure I've done it correctly tbh.. I'll have to look it up and see If I can find example as I'm unsure..

View attachment 52025
From left to right
Hub supplied thick washer with the bit going through forks. Then the c washer that came with torque arm. Then torque arm and nut.

Guess it's the outside recess that needs a washer. That will bring it flat.
I'll take apart both side and look again.. The side in photo has c washer. Maybe a full round washer would be better..
You must fit a washer in the dimple, otherwise the nut will come loose.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Ok. I'll check it and fit washer. Thanks
2 washers. One on each side of the wheel.
Here:
washer.jpg

It would be ideal if Chinese made nuts of a proper size so they would fit snug as bugs into recess, but no.... They made nuts 1mm bigger, so they hold only onto this 1mm. Washers should solve the problem. After all we don't want your front wheel to come off, do we?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Well I finished it.
Bit of tinkering to do cutting cables as I don't have crimp ends, and I need to add rear lights and bell ect. But it's going. I think the rear rack looks terrible tbh. Maybe a bag over will help?
Had my time again I don't think I'd of converted this old bike. Was not ideal without disc brakes and other problems I had. Learnt loads though

Reactions: WheezyRider