Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro - Chainring

Riles

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2024
Hello from a newbie to this forum.

I have a 2022 Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 725 and would consider myself an infrequent social rider looking to increase fitness, a bit.

I very much enjoy the bike I have but at 6'2" I find I am running out of gears with slightest of descents. Additionally, I do not, nor am I ever likely to, use the lowest of gears so the predominant gear selections are the upper half only.

In an attempt to better things I am thinking that if I can increase the size of the front chainring, even slightly, then I might delay the onset of the "whirring legs" and even use some of the lower gears a bit more.

The issue I have found is that I don't know how much larger in teeth count I can go before the chainring/frame interaction becomes physical!! Also, it appears that chainline is a thing but I don't know what it is on my Cube.

So, I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on how to calculate the maximum chainring size would be or if they have done something similar and would let me know what parts they used and where they purchased them from.

Thanks in anticipation.

Aerodiamond

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2021
Hello from a newbie to this forum.

I have a 2022 Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 725 and would consider myself an infrequent social rider looking to increase fitness, a bit.

I very much enjoy the bike I have but at 6'2" I find I am running out of gears with slightest of descents. Additionally, I do not, nor am I ever likely to, use the lowest of gears so the predominant gear selections are the upper half only.

In an attempt to better things I am thinking that if I can increase the size of the front chainring, even slightly, then I might delay the onset of the "whirring legs" and even use some of the lower gears a bit more.

The issue I have found is that I don't know how much larger in teeth count I can go before the chainring/frame interaction becomes physical!! Also, it appears that chainline is a thing but I don't know what it is on my Cube.

So, I would be grateful if anyone has any advice on how to calculate the maximum chainring size would be or if they have done something similar and would let me know what parts they used and where they purchased them from.

Thanks in anticipation.
Hi! I'm also 6 2 . I went the other way with my Cube reaction pro, reducing the front by 2 teeth which for me was much better riding (I have a high cadence). Don't worry about the chain line it is only ever inline for one gear. Couple of teeth either way should fit, just measure the ring diameter. You will need special tools, a crank puller and a spider for the castle nut. Use a thread lock on the threads on assembly and torque them properly as they have a habit of working loose.

Hope this helps

Nigel

Riles

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2024
Hi Nigel. Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
Knackered knees need a little care nowadays and upping the cadence is partly what I'm trying to avoid.
Good to know about the chain line.

Regards.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi @Riles, cant you measure the radius of a chainring that would fit in keeping with the existing chain line and shape of your frame? then just google for a diagram of chainring diameters and select a tooth count accordingly..

Or if lazy like me just order a few different sizes and return any that don't work out.

Related Articles

Advertisers