Crossbar or Step thru?

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Is there much difference? Step thru are sometimes call ed 'Womens' bikes. Does that really matter if it is easier to get on and off.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is there much difference? Step thru are sometimes call ed 'Womens' bikes. Does that really matter if it is easier to get on and off.
If you get a step through, it's less likely to get stolen. The kids wouldn't want to be seen dead on one!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only called womens bikes in the UK, in Europe they have more sense and both genders used step through for it's greater convenience, Step through is particularly advisable when a carrier child seat is used, it being difficult to mount a crossbar model with a child in the rear seat, they get very upset at being kicked in the head.

One advantage of a crossbar model is greater strength, but a well designed step through is plenty strong enough and can be more comfortable due to more "give" absorbing road shocks.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
A normal car uses the roof to stop the body sagging in the middle and a bike uses the top tube the same way.
If the roof is taken off a car to make it a convertible then they are generally heavier, bendier, weaker and more expensive and the same applies to bikes (maybe not the expensive bit).
So if practicality is more important than performance (why women prefer them more than men I guess) then go for it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
May I add that as you get older, the step through is much easier for men also because arthritis and general stiffness makes getting on a crossbar bike difficult.

wasim6ocgm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 27, 2011
Couldn't agree more - after much research I have just brought a Claude Butler Glide 2 step-thru - strangely enough the first few times I mounted it - I cocked my leg - must have been second nature!

Ian

May I add that as you get older, the step through is much easier for men also because arthritis and general stiffness makes getting on a crossbar bike difficult.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Step throughs are also useful if you have short legs. At 27" inside leg, I haven't found a crossbar ebike that I can use without tilting it at ridicuous angle or risk serious injury when standing stopped.

I sometimes cock my leg over to mount/dismount but usually catch the panniers with my foot.