Converting a little folder

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That perfect steel framed folder might just be this Pashley Moulton TSR 27 that I used to have and sold about twenty years ago. I rode it powered by me 40 miles in two hours and two minutes. It isn't exactly a folder, but you could withdraw a pin and it came into two pieces so it was easy to fit in the boot of a car. It was a surprisingly fast bike.

View attachment 58137
That wouldn't be easy to convert.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That wouldn't be easy to convert.
Well I won't argue with you on that one. You've done many and I haven't. Really, it would be a bit of a sacrilege to mess up a bike like that anyway. Possibly you might fit a nice BBS01 on the BB. No idea where the battery would go. No one would convert that bike anyway.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well I won't argue with you on that one. You've done many and I haven't. Really, it would be a bit of a sacrilege to mess up a bike like that anyway. Possibly you might fit a nice BBS01 on the BB. No idea where the battery would go. No one would convert that bike anyway.
There was an ARCC conversion for exactly that bike, though a bit expensive.

I've never found a bike that couldn't be converted, but I often ask why someone would want to go through the trouble and expense when there are easier options.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
There was an ARCC conversion for exactly that bike, though a bit expensive.

I've never found a bike that couldn't be converted, but I often ask why someone would want to go through the trouble and expense when there are easier options.
That video was interesting. Waves of nostalgia here thinking about my old TSR 27. She is right, it is built to be a fast bike, especially, I would say the one I had with 27 speed campagnolo gears. I said before, I rode it 40 miles in 2 hours and 2 minutes and I was about 49 or 50 and was never a crack speed rider. It just flew along, so it would probably be quite efficient with an electrical assist system. Mind - it was not a cheap bike, which was in the end why I sold it, because it was barely being used. The guy I sold it to, I met on a folder forum and I kid you not, he flew from San Francisco to Heathrow to get it when I said I would not be happy posting it. He was a Dot Com millionaire. I never understood quite why he made that trip. I am sure he could have bought a new one and had it delivered. He did say he had thousands of miles of Air Miles so the trip cost him nothing, but still... A bit weird really.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I’m sure it’s just me being a wimp, but I would be very wary of some hookey front wheel after market disc adapter. I’m not handsome but a faceplant isn’t going make me any more so…

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

Simplest conversion ever. Swap the front wheel, fit the snap on PAS, connect up to the KT controller (also in battery bag). Seems very good, more powerful than I thought, less than 4 kg added including battery.

Easy to pedal with no assist.

Redid my little test circuit

Unbelievably (and I know noone here will believe it) the battery dropped from 42V to 40.5v (measured with multimeter) for a 36v 10Ah battery (I did double check Woosh hadn't sent me a bigger battery by mistake) which would give a range of > 50 miles !

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Unbelievably (and I know noone here will believe it) the battery dropped from 42V to 40.5v (measured with multimeter) for a 36v 10Ah battery (I did double check Woosh hadn't sent me a bigger battery by mistake) which would give a range of > 50 miles !
I believe you. Ickler wheels are mightier! :cool:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Random musings on my part

1) The kit came with a KT 36V/48V 6 mosfet controller with max current 15 A, which seemed quite a lot for the little AKM-74 . Topbikekit also sell a AKM-74 48V version (I presume with different winding) - 48V 15A seems a lot of power for a microhub.
2) I wonder if the 20 inch wheel mitigates the small torque from the motor - so you end up with something that is a lot better climbing hills than I would expect
3) The front hub seems to work quite well and having the battery over the front wheel seems to help the balance - The riding position is very upright, so I think more of the weight would be over the back wheel. Its quite well balanced to move around and carry. I did add an extra strap to the battery bag, to strap it onto the front vertical bar - it is very secure now.
4 ) I wonder if the lightness of the motor mitigates some of the usual front hub disadvantages - I know @Nealh has a bike with the Bafang micro hub in a front wheel
5) I converted this bike for a specific purpose - having a bike to take in the campervan with us on holiday, so it would do limited mileage. However my wife has quite taken to it (especially how easy it is to get out and put back). I might have to persuade her for us to change to a disc braked folding donor bike and move the kit across (which wouldn't be a big job)
6) I can see how you could use a kit like this for a lightweight bike, as per Woosh Faro. There's plenty of 10kg road bikes of ebay/marketplace/gumtree. You can add a similar kit with a 36V 10Ah (or even a 36V 15Ah or 48V 10Ah) bag battery and still end up with a very light e-bike

Reactions: Ghost1951 and Waspy

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That perfect steel framed folder might just be this Pashley Moulton TSR 27 that I used to have and sold about twenty years ago. I rode it powered by me 40 miles in two hours and two minutes. It isn't exactly a folder, but you could withdraw a pin and it came into two pieces so it was easy to fit in the boot of a car. It was a surprisingly fast bike.

View attachment 58137
Far too rich for my blood! This one has SRAM Dualdrive, therefore might have 135mm rear dropouts? If so, easy no-spread insertion of powerful rear hub motor perhaps? For dudes who enjoy that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: harrys

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Far too rich for my blood! This one has SRAM Dualdrive, therefore might have 135mm rear dropouts? If so, easy no-spread insertion of powerful rear hub motor perhaps? For dudes who enjoy that sort of thing.

It was a very nice ride that bike. To be honest, it had so many gears and was so easy to ride, I don't think I'd need any electricity to ride it anywhere - even now many years later. I sold it because it seemed just too valuable to be lying in the garage, and I never dared leave it alone outside, anywhere I rode it.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
PostScript

My mother in law came up for the weekend and had a go on the folder - she was blown away.

She loved how light it is(including 36v 10Ah bag battery + pannier it is 16.3kg) to get out and put away and how easy it was to pedal with no assistance and how comfortable the pedalling position was

Even up hills she was only using level 2 PAS ( out of 5) - she is at at guess 50-55 kg though !

She used to cycle a lot but hasn't done recently and she asked if I would do one for her. I have persuaded her to start off with a donor bike with disc brakes . might swap the freewheel to a DNP one if needed

Thinking

Or https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/7844967482208701/

(Seems to get good reviews - https://road.cc/content/review/carrera-intercity-disc-9-speed-folding-bike-292787 )

Interesting in that review it mentions that it can be a bit light over the front wheel, using a front hub motor and battery on the handlebar stem would help.

Just checking if all those are steel forks (would it matter for such a low toque motor?)

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Random musings on my part

1) The kit came with a KT 36V/48V 6 mosfet controller with max current 15 A, which seemed quite a lot for the little AKM-74 . Topbikekit also sell a AKM-74 48V version (I presume with different winding) - 48V 15A seems a lot of power for a microhub.
2) I wonder if the 20 inch wheel mitigates the small torque from the motor - so you end up with something that is a lot better climbing hills than I would expect
3) The front hub seems to work quite well and having the battery over the front wheel seems to help the balance - The riding position is very upright, so I think more of the weight would be over the back wheel. Its quite well balanced to move around and carry. I did add an extra strap to the battery bag, to strap it onto the front vertical bar - it is very secure now.
4 ) I wonder if the lightness of the motor mitigates some of the usual front hub disadvantages - I know @Nealh has a bike with the Bafang micro hub in a front wheel
5) I converted this bike for a specific purpose - having a bike to take in the campervan with us on holiday, so it would do limited mileage. However my wife has quite taken to it (especially how easy it is to get out and put back). I might have to persuade her for us to change to a disc braked folding donor bike and move the kit across (which wouldn't be a big job)
6) I can see how you could use a kit like this for a lightweight bike, as per Woosh Faro. There's plenty of 10kg road bikes of ebay/marketplace/gumtree. You can add a similar kit with a 36V 10Ah (or even a 36V 15Ah or 48V 10Ah) bag battery and still end up with a very light e-bike
Glad it worked so well. Hope it proves durable. You seem to have achieved a highish average speed. Does it cut off at 15.5 mph? Your average speed is above that. Also, very good efficiency with so little of the battery used. Amazing really.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Glad it worked so well. Hope it proves durable. You seem to have achieved a highish average speed. Does it cut off at 15.5 mph? Your average speed is above that. Also, very good efficiency with so little of the battery used. Amazing really.
That's with the cutoff set to 17mph (15.5 +10% leeway that is legal). With the @saneagle DNP Freewheel (11 teeth for the highest gear) I can go at a faster speed down the hills without any assistance.
I think it should be OK reliability wise (cross fingers :) )- it's just an Aikema hub motor, PAS sensor, KT controller and LCD and battery

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Even up hills she was only using level 2 PAS ( out of 5) - she is at at guess 50-55 kg though !
Does the controller use speed control? If it does, it makes no difference whether your in level 1 or 5. The power is the same as long as you go slow because you get max power in every level until you reach the speed limit.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Does the controller use speed control? If it does, it makes no difference whether your in level 1 or 5. The power is the same as long as you go slow because you get max power in every level until you reach the speed limit.
No - its a KT 36/48V 6 mosfet 15A sine wave controller from topbikekit with the power based pas levels -the hills weren't that steep mind