Commuter Light Deal

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
That rear light is 2*1/2 watts not 2*12 watt which is a typo in the main heading as stated by amigafan.

Although the other one linked is only 1*1/2 watt, at £6.99 for the full set its still a pretty good deal.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
I recently brought a set of these lights. There appear to be different versions of the smart lights. The version of the the smart light I have does not have the strip in the middle of the front light. The Maplins light gives a less focused beam than this smart version. Which is better I can't really say. I can say that the rear light is better than the one in the other smart set however. In that version the on off switch was difficult to use. (Maybe I had a faulty copy, I don't know). This rear light with this set is quite bright and really good. They are an absolute bargain at this price. I have just ordered myself another pair.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Last edited:

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Just been into maplin and they have a maplin branded set for £9.99. They are the EXACT same lights minues the Smart branding. They claim the front light is 3 watt rather than "w

3W Cycle Light Set : Cycle Lights : Maplin Electronics

I bought a set and tested against my Smarts - theya re without question off the same production line (or the same moulds/machine tools) Everything is 100% identical and power output seems the same to my eyes

So a total steal in my book for a tenner.
Even better at £4.99, which is the indicated Maplin price just now when I looked...

Rog.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes but they are all sold out. I just picked up the last one from my local Maplins.

They will probably be all over ebay soon lol.

Jerry

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
A good deal but you need to spend OVER £10 for free postage :(

Jerry

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
A good deal but you need to spend OVER £10 for free postage :(

Jerry
Shame ...still if you chuck in an 89p High5 energy gel or something like that it's not difficult to tip borderline free postage orders into qualifying free postage territory if necessary :).

D

Deleted member 4366

I just bought one. I couldn't log-on with my Windows PC - possibly Internet Explorer 9 blocking something. They suggested using Firefox or Chrome, but I'd already found my way on with my Linux computer and Firefox. I swallowed the £2.95 because I paid about £18 for the last one, so I was happy. It seems that they're more road bikes than MTBs, so there wasn't much else to choose from.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I just bought one. I couldn't log-on with my Windows PC - possibly Internet Explorer 9 blocking something. They suggested using Firefox or Chrome, but I'd already found my way on with my Linux computer and Firefox. I swallowed the £2.95 because I paid about £18 for the last one, so I was happy. It seems that they're more road bikes than MTBs, so there wasn't much else to choose from.
when in doubt search the Energy & Nutrition section on a Road Bike site ;) ...

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/energy-nutrition/energy-recovery-gels/high5-sports-energy-gel-plus.html

... +1 (with caffeine) = free postage :)

Paid £17.50 for mine off e-bay a couple of weeks ago as had to get on the road and it had no lights. Curses :rolleyes: !

D

Deleted member 4366

I went through every section of their site except that one. Blast!, I need re-energising, but anything "gel" gives me the creeps.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ you could always use it as shower gel :eek: :p