Carry Freedom Axle Problem (solved?)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TheTong is ok but if I have tbh, then my small Bafang G370 front hub is more then a match for it. And tbh I prefer the G370.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I expect I shall go with boring St George flag and an olde Enlish Wyvern flag.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Kayak one looks good and your flag/pennant could be the same as your angry avatar, that might make drivers think twice.
The flag on the kayak version could be too short at 140cm? The holder might not accommodate a thinner longer flagpole, like this one I have on the Homcom:

...but if not, I suppose I could get a longer flagpole which does fit, or connect a piece to it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm getting more peds and dog walkers smiling and remarking on the my Ute/ CF combo when out on the trail/rail line , I remark today was neat.
My more modest setup gets a nice reaction from pedestrians, but of course not from drivers.

Can't CF without a flag...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can use any type of rod of the correct dia , even split came or Bamboo.
1.2m should be fine, I see no reason for a long one esp if one uses trails

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having never used a flag or outrigger rod during the three decades in which I towed trailers, usually twice a week and almost entirely on the roads, I'm intrigued by this subject. At no time did I ever feel threatened by traffic, even with the low empty trailer, indeed when towing I was usually given more space than when cycling without.

I suppose it's again about the way cyclists overestimate dangers due to their vulnerability, just like the helmets subject.

However, I'm not critical of trailer flags, they are Primary safety, and that, not having the accident, is far better than Secondary safety, protection from an accident's ill effects. But from my experience I do wonder if they really are necessary

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One can use any type of rod of the correct dia , even split came or Bamboo.
1.2m should be fine, I see no reason for a long one esp if one uses trails
I hadly ever use trails - that's a snap from my garden. The advice to dissuading bears is to look as large and be as loud as possible, so that they give you a wide berth. Perhaps a 2m tall flag (plus the height of the trailer plafrom or other anchoring point) would flap high enough to be visible behind vans/SUVs, and could warn in advance that another conveyance lurks behind?

The unladen CF isn't terribly visible without a flag. When the Homcom was fully laden, some drivers didn't pass by any further away than normal. One small red car struck it from behind and flipped it over, luckily it was empty. I flipped it back - the trailer was turned over from the side of passing traffic, theres a bit of paint missing where it was hit. I was thinking that I really should attach one of @matthewslack 's GuerniCar Defectors.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
TheTong is ok but if I have tbh, then my small Bafang G370 front hub is more then a match for it. And tbh I prefer the G370.
This surprises me. Does the Bafang G370 have a torque sensor? Isn't a mid drive better for cargo bikes? Perhaps more Tong parameter adjustment would improve matters?

I've never used a TS bike, so really can't compare... but I think @Woosh is right: at low assistance, cadence sensored mid drives do feel natural - I've only noticed the experience of "Catching up with the motor" on high PAS and low cadence. At lower assistance and high cadence, it's simply easier pedalling. At high cadence and high PAS, it similarly feels natural. Or it could just be I've got used to my BBS01B.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Todays cars are now much changed and as we know have become far to large for our roads, also now to much tech is used in cars and with mobile phones far to much distraction for most to even notice anything on the road.
Once upon atime a chelsea tractor was only a Range rover but now nearly every car is becoming to look like a chelsea tractor, they have little or no use on local congested roads or schools runs. Even my Mrs. newer shape Clio body wise is massive compared to the little super mini size itused to be.

A flag or anything fluttering can only add to catch a distracted eye one hopes.
Imv I want a driver to see my flag at their eye level so 4ft plus the 10" the base is above a ground should be enough as a distraction.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A non descript plain flag looks naff but does the job to catch the eye, a slighty descriptive flag is likely a bit more hip/cool. I have ordered two flags to fly on my flag pole the boring but plain St George and the Wyvern olde English flag from approx. 1060 a.d ( a white wyvern on a red background). I shall fly both in tandem.

I had a roadie pass me today and remarked on my combo as nice bit of kit.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Flying both flags in tandem is wise. As you said - at least one should be visible in the driver's eyeline. A full on Wyvern standard could introduce too much drag.

I'll buy the kayak flag. If the ABS mount fails, I'll adapt the mult-angle flagpole holder.

The neoprene discs arrived today. At 0.5mm thin, they look like they'll fit well, do the job. I wonder if the CF version is compressible neoprene sponge? I'm not paying their mad delivery prices to find out!

The "Extra long" thin bottle washer arrived too, will give the trailer axle innards a good old scrubbing with oil later. First with WD40, then maybe Hypoid 90. I'll extend the brush with a coathanger.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The axle bore is only approx 65 -70mm in length.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm going to clean out all the muck - thanks to the absence of those neoprene washers, I think it's got very gungy in there. Then I'll dry it out by interting a funnel on one end of the trailer axle, and pointing a desk fan at that for a few hours... then slick it with oils.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The axle bore is only approx 65 -70mm in length.
By the way, those brushes are three for £2.99 at Aldi atm, sold as "Stainles steel straw washing brushes".

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I'll leave the other flag ziptied to the Homcom. A thick block of wood bolted through the CF BASE, drilled through for the pole would do.

These are made from ABS for kayaks, could be bolted through the CF base. With flag and without:

Base or holder only:

Mounting several flags on a rail would be overkill:

Or this could be filled in with epoxy and flag pole pushed in (don't mention Brexit! :eek: ). Or simply cut off a wood pole part, glue it in, drill a hole for the trailer flag pole .

The top flag holder flagpole grippy bit is just a standard elecktrickery compression gland, they are cheap as chips, just need a bracket to fix to trailer or possibly directly into trailer bed or frame.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The top flag holder flagpole grippy bit is just a standard elecktrickery compression gland, they are cheap as chips, just need a bracket to fix to trailer or possibly directly into trailer bed or frame.
You're right! Well spotted! That did look familar, couldn't place it. Cheap at Screwfix - fix a bit of bamboo and a flag... There are brass versions too, which may be too short?

Related Articles

Advertisers