Carrera crossfire motor problem

Scottie

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2017
Oxfordshire
I have a problem with the motor on my Carrera Crossfire.
I've done 10000kms in 10 months on it.
I took it in to Halfords and the staff don't have the tools to open up the motor. In fact one staff member said it's impossible to open. lol
Their best guess from the play on the wheel and the noise is the bearings have gone but they are saying they can't open it so I need a new one. lol
I have asked them to send it away for repair but am expecting to get fobbed off and spend over £300 on new back wheel, with motor. Awaiting contact from manager on the issue.
Is there anyone independent who could open the motor up? cos I have tried 2 e bike shops who say they don't have the tool to do it.

D

Deleted member 4366

Wear and tear is for brakes, tyres, chains and things like that, not the motor unless it's specifically listed as not covered in the warrant agreement. if the motor's not covered, what is?

All motors can be dismantled to fix bearings, though some are more tricky than others. If you have it out of the frame, remove the cassette/free-wheel and show a photo from each side.

If it's this one, it's as simple as removing all the axle nuts including the one inside the cassette spline, undoing the 6 screws that hold the side-plate on and tapping the core out of the hub. The side-plate normally sticks to the axle, so you need to hold the edge of the side-plate on two blocks, while you tap on the axle to knock the axle through. If you're unlucky, the bearing inner will be rusted to the axle and will come out of the side-plate. If that's so, they're difficult to get off. I got a bit of steel plate and used my angle grinder to grind a fork in the shape of a wedge. After lots of smashing with a big hammer, it finally came free.. You could grind it off, but the motor needs to be completely protected from the swarf because the magnets will suck it all in.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Scottie

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2017
Oxfordshire
I didn't have the 6 month service so they will say warranty void. I will try anyway.
I want to try someone independent to look at it so Halfords don't just send it away and just tell me I need a new one.

D

Deleted member 4366

They don't touch the motor at the 6 months service. They already told you that it's not a serviceable item.

It's probably best to forget about them anyway. You can have the motor stripped down in less than half an hour. Tap the bearing out and get the number off it. Any local bearing supplier will have one, or you can get them from Ebay for next to nothing. All in all, probably less work, less stress and less cost than going back to Halfords and arguing it out.

• Agree
Reactions: awol and LeighPing