Carrera crosscity folding bike rear hub

Timbarge

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 6, 2019
Hi,I agree with you ,there is a load of movement in the gear mechanism I thought maybe the bearings are shot, when I got it the hub wouldn't move at all.managed to loosen it so I could push it home,buying a puller so I can remove the assembly for a look,don't know if the bearings come out .But as for the make it's a Bafang 8FUN.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,I agree with you ,there is a load of movement in the gear mechanism I thought maybe the bearings are shot, when I got it the hub wouldn't move at all.managed to loosen it so I could push it home,buying a puller so I can remove the assembly for a look,don't know if the bearings come out .But as for the make it's a Bafang 8FUN.
That's very interesting. I've not seen a Bafang like that before. The bearings are probably standard and possibly removable, though you might need a bearing puller to get them out and a press or strong vice to put them in.

Does the clutch still work? Normally that's the first thing to go when water gets in and it goes rusty. You should be able to get a replacement, as it looks fairly standard, but if you need gears, bearings and a clutch, it might be better to get a replacement motor.

Before anything, you should check that the hall sensors work. For that, you need a voltmeter to check the 5v pulses on the three hall signal wires when you turn the motor. You need to supply 5v on the red and black wires for that (+ and - on the pcb).

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
It looks to me that someone has tried to fit the wrong gear set to it.

Can you post a photo of the engraving on the motor cover?

Last edited:

Timbarge

Dec 6, 2019
That's very interesting. I've not seen a Bafang like that before. The bearings are probably standard and possibly removable, though you might need a bearing puller to get them out and a press or strong vice to put them in.

Does the clutch still work? Normally that's the first thing to go when water gets in and it goes rusty. You should be able to get a replacement, as it looks fairly standard, but if you need gears, bearings and a clutch, it might be better to get a replacement motor.

Before anything, you should check that the hall sensors work. For that, you need a voltmeter to check the 5v pulses on the three hall signal wires when you turn the motor. You need to supply 5v on the red and black wires for that (+ and - on the pcb).
hi ,sorry ive been unwell this is my first chance at a reply,thanks for your intrest and help.i would guess the cluch is working as i was able to make the wheel turn under walk mod ,suprisinngly the electrics are working.is the clutch a spragg bearing?

Timbarge

Dec 6, 2019

HI sorry ivbe been ill,heres the pics.

Attachments

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
There should be more markings on the outside of the case that show the model code. The printing on the halls pcb suggests it’s a Bafang SWX.

Reactions: Timbarge