Car carriers

dirtmother

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Well, we're inching along towards acquiring my electric bicycle. Bit of a project. New (to him) non-electric bicycle for spouse, check, towbar fitted to car, check... the next thing is a towbar mounted carrier. I notice there are 'electric bicycle' carriers, but the weights of likely purchase don't seem bad enough to warrant anything special (esp if battery removed for transport) Any thoughts on that?

Anyone got any pointers on what to go for? We're looking at carrying 3-4 bikes, only one of which will be electric.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
watch the wheelbase..if battery behind down post it will be longer then a normal bike. make sure rack is either adjustable or will fit. that's why people buy specific e bike racks.. cos they fit!

dirtmother

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Hmmm... a bit worrying then if the manufacturers (eg Thule) are simply working to provide for heavier cycles which is what the product descriptions imply.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Hmmm... a bit worrying then if the manufacturers (eg Thule) are simply working to provide for heavier cycles which is what the product descriptions imply.

Not really as the normal thule tow bar rack will take most ebikes already just not three of them at once due to weight. Mind you im puzzled how it can can take 75 kilos plus anyway when most cars state for a caravan a 60-70 kilo (or less) max nose weight ?.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the e bike specific racks are adjustable for wheel base, others may be as well but not all.....just shop carefully

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mind you im puzzled how it can can take 75 kilos plus anyway when most cars state for a caravan a 60-70 kilo (or less) max nose weight ?.
I think this is as much to do with steering stabilty with a trailer. The tendency of a heavy trailer to "wag the tail" is much greater than that of the close coupled weight of a rigidly mounted carrier.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I still think a medium size car would be a bit nose light with 70kg hanging off the back

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
FWIW we've used a Thule e-bike carrier for a couple of years without fault. Built like a thing that's very well built, they come in 2 or 3 bike models. You can even buy/devise a loading ramp.
Happy e-biking.
Tom

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
With all that engine up the front?
I seriously doubt it.
You would be suprised. Car is designed to allow for weight at the front so a large weight hanging of the back wil cause the back end to drop. Having towed quite a bit even a light trailer or caravan within the recomended nose weight limits noticable effect the steering. Not to the point of being dangerous but you notice the diference. So a cariier full of bikes that weighs even more will almost certainly have at least the same effect.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The worst case of this rear weight problem was the Hillman Imp of years ago. Designed for a light twin cylinder air cooled engine as a Citroen 2cv competitor, it had to have a rush change when the existence of the forthcoming Mini was found to be imminent. The lightest 4 cylinder water cooled engine they could find was the 750cc Coventry-Climax fire pump motor which they bored out to 850cc, but it's rear weight made the front dangerously light on bumpy roads. The permanent solution was standard tyre pressures of 15lbs front and 30lbs rear!

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
In the case of a Harvey Frost crane fitted to a Land Rover... the kinda 'permanent solution' when lifting anything heavy was a railway sleeper onto the front bumper tied on with rope :D

emjaiuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2011
NW Surrey TW17
watch the wheelbase..if battery behind down post it will be longer then a normal bike. make sure rack is either adjustable or will fit. that's why people buy specific e bike racks.. cos they fit!
Also the longer wheelbase bikes may be wider than the car. My pro-Rider only just fits behind my motorhome.

Malcolm

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
The worst case of this rear weight problem was the Hillman Imp of years ago. Designed for a light twin cylinder air cooled engine as a Citroen 2cv competitor, it had to have a rush change when the existence of the forthcoming Mini was found to be imminent. The lightest 4 cylinder water cooled engine they could find was the 750cc Coventry-Climax fire pump motor which they bored out to 850cc, but it's rear weight made the front dangerously light on bumpy roads. The permanent solution was standard tyre pressures of 15lbs front and 30lbs rear!
I had a Hillman Imp It was brilliant in the bad winter, (think it was 1978) at driving through the snow, but the steering was absolutely useless unless there was some heavy weight in the front. In icy conditions it would carry on in a straight line when the wheel was turned. Also because the engine was in the back it sucked in fumes through the back window. Apart from that it was a good little workhorse and never let me down , eventually selling it for same amount as I paid. £200 I think. those were the days (lol)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Me wanted one...never got one :-(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had a Hillman Imp It was brilliant in the bad winter, (think it was 1978) at driving through the snow, but the steering was absolutely useless unless there was some heavy weight in the front. In icy conditions it would carry on in a straight line when the wheel was turned. Also because the engine was in the back it sucked in fumes through the back window. Apart from that it was a good little workhorse and never let me down , eventually selling it for same amount as I paid. £200 I think. those were the days (lol)
The Coventry-Climax engine was very good, much better than the ancient A series engine in the basic Mini, but I was always sorry they lost their nerve when they heard about the forthcoming Mini. A two cylinder Imp would have made a great low cost competitor for the 2cv and Fiat 500 and would probably have sold better in that market, rather than trying to compete with the Mini.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I actually had a Singer Chamoix. I think that was a slightly different spec to the imp

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Imps were popular with the hill climb & trials enthusists down here. Many were still going strong well after their sell-by date.

AA Bob was a well-known Imp man & would get the right hump if the Skoda's beat him.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Well, we're inching along towards acquiring my electric bicycle. Bit of a project. New (to him) non-electric bicycle for spouse, check, towbar fitted to car, check... the next thing is a towbar mounted carrier. I notice there are 'electric bicycle' carriers, but the weights of likely purchase don't seem bad enough to warrant anything special (esp if battery removed for transport) Any thoughts on that?

Anyone got any pointers on what to go for? We're looking at carrying 3-4 bikes, only one of which will be electric.
Why buy one?

Find a friend with a welder. Buy some angle, thick wall box and some hammerite and make one to fit.
You can make to suit the bikes to the mm.

Made one myself about 20 years ago. Cost me about £5 from memory using scrap steel.

Go on, give it a go. It is not alway the best option to purchase off the shelf.