Can you derestrict or fit an off road button to a kudos bike??

dayglowfroggy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2011
I have a cheap china bike at the moment restricted to 15.8 mph but I find this very anoying .
I plan on getting a decent electric bike to replace my current one and the kudos city looks ideal for me.
I swore after the first three months of comuting on my exsisting bike that I would not bother with anything that could not be made to go a bit faster .
Also I want to get rid of the throttle and just have a button, don't see the need to have an uncomfortable throttle that means you can't keep your fingers on the brake and it's not as if ebikes have any serious wheelie potential a button would be much more sensible.
The pro conect has been my favorite if I could afford one but it has horendious battery costs just like most of the e bikes out there .
I have looked at the alien arour and the xipi bikes but they have just put the price up and top be honest I like the look of an enclosed chain and hub gears as well as reasonable battery cost from kudos, also the spares support looks second to non .
The only question mark in my mind is could it be fitted with a switch for more speed when late for work for example, I am a reasonably fit rider and can actually get to work faster on my normal bike at the moment but my job is very phisical so I need the option to be lazy on the way home.
I have seen that whispa's can have a deristrict button fitted ,not interested in whispa's though I can't work out why they are so expensive anyone can see that a rear rack some mud guards and suspension forks don't cost £300 .

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I doubt that they do an off road button as these are technically illegal but most bikes can be derestricted easily...Normally just a matter of unplugging a cable...

As for Wispers being expensive I have to disagree. Good dealership network with repair centres. a bit more pricey then some others but by not a lot. worth it IMO for peace of mind and excellent back up. My 3rd year with Wisper bikes and very happy with service particularly when things go wrong......... You really need to try the various bikes before you can compare? I dont get how you can be critical without riding them first:p

I considered the Kudos Carbon model when I changed our bikes recently as it is relatively light and meet the criteria for carrying on our camper....Someone I know looked at one at a show and told me to stick with the wisper I had at the time, was not impressed by the build quality at all...They are a new company so things may of improved since then. But they are obviously pricing the bikes against the big boys, so lets see how long that lasts........

My new Bosch bike cuts out at 15.5 mph dead, and it is a bloomin pain in the ass. it only needs a few mph and a bike feels much more user friendly IMO

Last edited:

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Hi eddieo, on the Panasonic based bikes you can play around with the gearing to increase the speed before the power cuts out. e.g. by adding a larger motor drive sprocket and/or smaller hub sprocket. Can you use this sort of trick on the Bosch system?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi eddieo, on the Panasonic based bikes you can play around with the gearing to increase the speed before the power cuts out. e.g. by adding a larger motor drive sprocket and/or smaller hub sprocket. Can you use this sort of trick on the Bosch system?
Not a clue I'm afraid..not that technical. Flecc could probably hazard an informed opinion....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A larger chainwheel will do that on the Bosch, but like the Panasonic one, for sound reasons it's bound to be not a standard bike type and I doubt they make an illegal option. Also the housings may not accept anything larger.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
eddie0>'they are pricing the bikes against the big boys(who are they?) lets see how long that lasts'....trust me on this it will last a long time.
John Harvey Jones,when asked what is the best product in the world....answered 'the one most people want to buy'!
Dave
KudosCycles

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You seem well funded with a half decent product so you are probably right. But you see people entering the market all the time and a year later where are they? flavor of the month last year were.... Blimey! I have forgotten their name!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
you see people entering the market all the time and a year later where are they? flavor of the month last year were.... Blimey! I have forgotten their name!
There are a number. For example, remember 720cycles and the Rush Trek?

And how about Sustain Cycles who were "on a mission to bring e-biking to the world"?

Kudos are different though, they will be around when some others are long forgotten.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
There are a number. For example, remember 720cycles and the Rush Trek?

And how about Sustain Cycles who were "on a mission to bring e-biking to the world"?

Kudos are different though, they will be around when some others are long forgotten.
not the one I was thinking off...I think someone on here bought one, others as well in fact. it appeared shortly after in the classified section. They had a big battery I remember that...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I know the one you mean Eddie, it had a 16 Ah battery, but I don't remember the name offhand.

parker

Banned
Aug 16, 2011
I doubt that they do an off road button as these are technically illegal but most bikes can be derestricted easily...Normally just a matter of unplugging a cable...
I think that you are right, it is that simple. I just worry if you have an accident you might not be able to plug the cable back in. As it is illegal, you might get the book thrown at you!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think I know the one you mean Eddie, it had a 16 Ah battery, but I don't remember the name offhand.
they where near identical bikes, from 2 different companies. One was bear print I think, remember Bruce? lol And the other still escapes me:confused: They looked like a big operation but where are they now.....

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Eddieo,

I think you are referring to FreeGo. It appears they are still going strong with a growing UK network of dealers. In fact I was in a Torquay bike shop yesterday and they were selling FreeGo bikes and Raleigh Dovers.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi you can change the controller on most 250 watt hub motors to increase the power and speed But the tiny battery's and Battery managements inside wont allow you to
the battery's would just cut out all built to be 250 watts 15 MPH which is what you are buying

Some bikes like the wisper had a off road button but added 3 or 4 miles to the speed . but no more

If you want a more powerful bike convert one using a kit like the one from ezze

A Uk company with full support and a fitting service
Cyclezee Ltd - Home

or BMS in china low cost poor support but give away prices

you can get uprated battery's and controllers for a small price

ttp://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/383-250w350w-q-85100sx-motor-bike-conversion-kit.html

Hope this helps

Frank

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Eddieo,

I think you are referring to FreeGo. It appears they are still going strong with a growing UK network of dealers. In fact I was in a Torquay bike shop yesterday and they were selling FreeGo bikes and Raleigh Dovers.
spot on! that is the one...Good that they are still in business as its more choice that we need. but a bit odd that they have been quiet of late....

dayglowfroggy

Mar 11, 2011
I have looked into derestricting my current bike but as there is no chance of a wiring diagram ,the only method I can find is to take out the little magnetic sensor inside the hub motor or cut the wires , not exactly sure but it doesn't matter as there is no way I would try to take the hub motor apart .I am not after amazing speed, maybe 18 mph would be nice.

FreeGo

Bruce? is that the Bruce that used to be "Big Cat" I believe that they traded aggressively from their shop in Southampton for a total of around six months then went bankrupt (what is they say about people living in glass houses?)
Thank you to IOM for the note, we have many dealers in the UK and are happy to live on our hard earned reputation for excellent customer service, I am happy to speak to any FreeGo owners past or present, please contact me direct at martin@freegoelectricbikes.com. Thanks all.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Did someone mention Bearprint?!
I think I am the only person on the Forum who owns a Bearprint, it is mainly because I could find no feedback about the Brand/Bike that I have been trying to give feedback about my bike while attempting to be as impartial as I can.
As you may have seen I have posted a review with photos and news of the Bearprint's performance and problems during my first year of ownership.
I believe that the Freego, Bearprint and Juicybike Ebikes are all manufactured in the same Chinese factory!?!
As I have noted before my Bearprint New City 505 bike actually has an electrical connector unit in front of the handlebars which has "Freego" imprinted in the plastic!
Overall I have been pleased with the Bearprint's performance and the back up I have received from Phil and Steve at Bearprint.

Barry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many of these bike names are dreamed up by importers and only for marketing purposes to create a difference. They can't really be thought of as brands.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
The best way to 'de-restrict' a kit is to get a higher voltage controller and battery. Try the ezee stuff for that - it works well.