Can one rebuild a Raleigh forge battery, a Tranzx BL03 to be precise. Does the BMS have to be original?

wojtek30

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2023
I bought a raleigh force bike with a dead battery for cheap, I have 40 Cells and could easily rebuild the battery. Can I just build the new battery in the old casing and just plug in the + and - to the existing connectors or is there some additional steps that must be done, I would rather not use the original BMS since it could be damaged and not functioning correctly. (bike history unknown)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How do you propose to spot weld the cells ?
How do you propose to monitor hvc /lvc and balance during charging and discharging ?

On second thoughts does the Transx use CAN type comms/handshaking ?

Reactions: wojtek30

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You can buy pre-assembled cell packs for that battery on Ali, but you need the working BMS to transfer. Google shows that bike uses the older PST system which pre-dates the CANbus/LogiX era.

For not a lot more, you can (usually) buy direct replacement BL03 batteries on Yose/PSP etc and avoid the faff altogether.

Reactions: wojtek30

wojtek30

Apr 17, 2023
You can buy pre-assembled cell packs for that battery on Ali, but you need the working BMS to transfer. Google shows that bike uses the older PST system which pre-dates the CANbus/LogiX era.

For not a lot more, you can (usually) buy direct replacement BL03 batteries on Yose/PSP etc and avoid the faff altogether.
Since its before the canbus era does that mean I can put any battery on it with any BMS? I have 40 LG mh1 cells from another ebike battery which stopped working due to the BMS being faulty.

wojtek30

Apr 17, 2023
How do you propose to spot weld the cells ?
How do you propose to monitor hvc /lvc and balance during charging and discharging ?

On second thoughts does the Transx use CAN type comms/handshaking ?
I have a stop welder, and I will use another BMS to do the hard work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it has a dumb bms and no uart or can bus programing then all it will want is the correct voltage

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Since its before the canbus era does that mean I can put any battery on it with any BMS? I have 40 LG mh1 cells from another ebike battery which stopped working due to the BMS being faulty.
Yes any battery of a similar nominal voltage.
Be very wary of the Red Daly BMS , they are a bit hit and miss with reliability.

wojtek30

Apr 17, 2023
Be very wary of the Red Daly BMS , they are a bit hit and miss with reliability.
Is there any good BMS? Or should I just get one off of eBay for £15. They have enough amp capacity for my needs.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use to use annpower on aliexpress and can't say I ever had a problem.
The recently as I switched to 12s set up I found small footprint lion 12s BMS not easily available. The daly looked ok and small size but then I had two failures coincidently after reading about issue with them on ES.
After the second failure I changed to BeMuchSmarter brand.

Select carefully the one you need , do you need a switch option also make sure it has a balance feature. Most will use a rudementry passive balance feature that will keep cells in check if they are within approx. 0.05v during the charge . If one has cells that are harder to keep in balance then one needs an active balancer which will constantly monitor cell voltages.

wojtek30

Apr 17, 2023
Also, would I need an original charger for the original battery, or can I use a £12 eBay XLR charger. Thanks

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Also, would I need an original charger for the original battery, or can I use a £12 eBay XLR charger. Thanks
It's not a standard XLR plug/socket: It's 5-pin/180 with a slot/groove and a 3rd wire connected, probably as a trigger for overcharge or overheat. If you're changing the BMS I doubt that third wire matters. Last time I looked, original TranzX chargers were £90+. I know some TranzX batteries do work with only a 2-wire +/- connection using that same non-standard 5-pin XLR.

wojtek30

Apr 17, 2023
I have finally gotten around to opening the battery, to my suprise all cells are at 0 volts. I believe the BMS has a fault which discharges the battery to 0. I also found another two wires which go into the bike, would those be important? Or is it just temperature sensing wires for the bike. I found a BMS with balancing, ocp, uvo, ovp on eBay for £15 so I will use that for my battery build

Advertisers