Burisch GT250/ Alien Aurora Owners.......Your opinions required please

kwackerman

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Hi All,

After moving away from ebiking for a couple of years I now intend to get back in the saddle again!

I am looking at the GT250 or the Alien Aurora.

Both bikes have been around for a while now and both bikes seem to offer ( illegal ) performance ( intentionally in the Aurora/ with an uprated controller for the GT).

My commute is roughly 10 miles each way, fairly flat but extremely exposed to wind most of the time. My previous mounts were the much maligned Cyclamatic Folder and a Juicy Sport. Both coped with the commute fairly well but I really needed the extra speed offered by the likes of the Aurora.

I would be very interested to hear any long term reports of the GT and the Alien so that I can make my mind up which way to go. If I go down the route of the GT it will be the large framed version they now sell ( it looks pretty smart to be honest).

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Andy

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Hi All,

After moving away from ebiking for a couple of years I now intend to get back in the saddle again!

I am looking at the GT250 or the Alien Aurora.

Both bikes have been around for a while now and both bikes seem to offer ( illegal ) performance ( intentionally in the Aurora/ with an uprated controller for the GT).

My commute is roughly 10 miles each way, fairly flat but extremely exposed to wind most of the time. My previous mounts were the much maligned Cyclamatic Folder and a Juicy Sport. Both coped with the commute fairly well but I really needed the extra speed offered by the likes of the Aurora.

I would be very interested to hear any long term reports of the GT and the Alien so that I can make my mind up which way to go. If I go down the route of the GT it will be the large framed version they now sell ( it looks pretty smart to be honest).

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Andy

I've Just seen your post, and i would like to say if your choice is between :

Alien AURORA Electric Sports Bicycle Bike e-bike | eBay

and

BURISCH Synergy GT250 MEDIUM Ebike e-bike pedelec electric bicycle | eBay

then as a biased owner of the 2012 Burisch GT250, my vote goes to Burisch!

This is not just because of its devilish good looks, eg its stealthy triangular profile frame. This isn't just because of its bottle tech, or its center of gravity which is closer to what you would expect sitting over the back wheel. If speed is what you want, and we all love speed, then i can tell you i get an easy de-restricted 19mph on a new charge. Also, when i pedal harder the motor doesn't cut out above a set speed, like other ebikes out there, it actual continues to compliment my pedaling so that i can get 24mph and not feel it. The Burisch comes with a 42T chainring, i would recommend upgrading that to 44T or 46T. I'm told the rear freewheel is now available as 11T instead of the typical 14T.

Another factor is after sales service. I had reason to contact the company, and i have to say i was very impressed with their response. Really great service!

As for your commute distance, my max round trip was about 14 miles, and that's with some pretty steep hills. The battery is probably good for two of those trips but i've never really tested the limits of the battery, preferring instead to recharge after that kind of trip. My regular commutes are a lot shorter, and i often charge the bottle once a week for those.

Price wise the Burisch is value for money. You could even get a spare battery for the money you'd pay for the Alien-AURORA. A Spare battery is of course insurance and doubles your distance if you carry the battery in a pannier. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Michael Nodding

Just Joined
May 17, 2013
Boston
I only have experience of the Burisch GT250 2013 model which I purchase a litte over a month ago. Despite reading varied reviews about this bike I decided to buy one and was thoroughly pleased with it. It will do approximately 16 mph under its own steam and have had it up to 26 on pedelec. It is a slick looking bike and I have found it to be great for what i wanted. The longest ride I did on it was a 20 mile ride on battery alone and is a very impressive ride.

Unfortuantely it was stolen two weeks ago from a locked cycle rack in Boston town centre, so I am clearly a little disappointed with what I thought was a great purchase. I am now left with a charger and two bunches of keys and am still awaiting a response from the police.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Michael,
In the interests of helping others, could you tell us how your bike was secured, and to what? Maybe we can all learn from your unfortunate experience. BTW, phone the local police station, ask to speak to the station commander, and lodge a complaint. I predict dramatically improved response....

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RobertBurton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2013
Hi,

I've got the aurora. I'm 31, 6' and 96kg. I ride 18.5 miles to work recharge the battery when I'm there and then ride home. I'm pretty fit and can do my commute in about 50 minutes. My average speed is around 22mph with moderate effort from me. Quite happy with it just having a few issues with loose spokes but everything else has be solid!
Hope this helps

Regards,

Rob

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
Hi Andy

I've had an Aurora for nearly 3 years now, I use it every day to work and back, a journey of about 6 miles there and back. I'm 5' 10" and 85 kg with my work gear on I'm about 90 kg. A 3rd of the ride is over rough ground, the rest is road, uphill all the way to work. The bike cost me £999, since i bought it I have replaced the brakes with BB7 brakes, the original brakes were hard to adjust, and the brake did not make contact with all the rotor, they were 160 mm rotors so i put 180 mm rotors on, so much better breaking now. I replaced the front light, it worked, but wasn't good enough for unlit roads and track. I replaced the tyres with schwalbe marathon plus, I didn't have to but it was my preference, I didn't want a puncture on the way to work, and after nearly 3 years use, I have not had a puncture. The original battery was replaced about 12 months ago with a bigger one, I now use a 15ah battery, i get about 35 miles out of it with pedal assist. Over the 3 years, the bike has had some battering on the off road part of the journey, but it has held up well, it has got plenty of torque for the uphill part of the journey. If I was in the market to buy a new Aurora, after looking at the price of a new one, I don't think I would get one, if they were still £999, I would get another one.

Ronnie

RobertBurton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2013
Hi Andy
The original battery was replaced about 12 months ago with a bigger one, I now use a 15ah battery, i get about 35 miles out of it with pedal assist.
Hi, where did you buy the 15ah battery from? Did it fit in the original rack ok with the current connection etc?
Cheers
Rob