Brompton q70 motor

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I feel you with that,,, I took it off to change the inner tube today. I only just manage to do it with 3 metal tyre levers making the smallest steps around the wheel and pretty much hoping for the best I don't pop the inner tube in the process. I'm not looking forward to getting a puncture in the rain with this one. At least I can fold it up and get on the bus.
The MP tyre stops you from getting punctures. That's why you volunteer to go through that pain.

pears_91

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2023
The MP tyre stops you from getting punctures. That's why you volunteer to go through that pain.

I've got standard marathon

I've always had punctures from time to time even with marathon plus on my old bike. It's the downside of living in Sheffield the steal city.. scrap, screws, nails, nuts, bolts and glass all over the place.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can't spoke a 28h rim to a 36h motor, you need a 36h rim which has exactly the same dimensions as the original Brompton 's to fit the original tyre. Some vendors on the net don't supply kits specifically for Brompton so you get the right motor but wrong rim.

pears_91

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2023
You can't spoke a 28h rim to a 36h motor, you need a 36h rim which has exactly the same dimensions as the original Brompton 's to fit the original tyre. Some vendors on the net don't supply kits specifically for Brompton so you get the right motor but wrong rim.

Hi whoosh,,

I can't see me going down the threading onto 28h rim route, but from what I have seen online it is possible. route as the examples I can find wouldn't solve my problem anyway,, they use a crazy spoke pattern and they don't go into alternate holes on the rim,, so if they were angled they wouldn't be angled in the correct direction for this kind of spoke pattern anyway. So I would still get spokes bent and at even worse angles.

There doesn't seem to be any 16inch 36h rim out there with angled spoke holes available in the UK.. some that look like they might be from AliExpress but they don't provide enough details for me to be sure. But I'll keep going as it is for now and update if I have any problems in the long term.

I don't know if it's bedding in, or if my mind is adjusting but it doesn't look as bad to me now as it did when I first threaded them.. and if I do have any problems maybe there is a different spoke material that is more forgiving and will handle the bend,, such as titanium.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Your spoke pattern is OK. The issue I mentioned was to have the same sized rim that fits the original tyre without efforts. Here is my wheel fitted with the original schwalbe Racer. I thread the wheels myself. My kit was a prototype, the rims we use now are silver.

20231001_110911.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pears_91

pears_91

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2023
Your spoke pattern is OK. The issue I mentioned was to have the same sized rim that fits the original tyre without efforts. Here is my wheel fitted with the original schwalbe Racer. I thread the wheels myself.

View attachment 54322
Ahh on,, sorry yes I have 2 problems,
The tyre tight fit and the spokes bent..

both not ideal and if I was starting again a 28hole motor would be better for a Brompton conversion... but on the other hand this q70 motor I am pleasantly surprised how good the finish and materials are, how powerful it feels and it does fit perfectly in the front forks.

What motor did you use?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Same Q70

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
36h. It took me a while to sort out the rim. It took me a while to find the right profile and got it bespoke made.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ok Thanks,
I don't mind if it's silver or black and silver
Let me know if I'm in luck.
I have spares in black like this:

brompton-rim.jpg

It has the same rim diameter and rim width, so it fits Brompton's standard tyres 37-349 without hassle.
Check your tyres dimensions and email them to email kits@wooshbikes.co.uk