Bristol Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Right, I've just done a bit of investigation. According to Google Earth, the race length is 0.14 miles. According to the video, the duration was 33 seconds. The average speed therefore was 15.2mph. Allowing for the 4 seconds it takes to reach 15mph, and the fact that the hill is less steep at the bottom half, so speed would be above the average for that half, I would deduce that the riders were doing slightly less than 15 mph for the second half of the climb, in which case Colin would be correct about the motor running, but incorrect about Oxygen cheating.

When you record a video with a fixed camera, you get a pronounced wine from the motor. For the following video, the motor was rigidly fixed direct above the motor, and you can hear the wine quite loud when the rider turns the bike at the start and finish of the race. You can also hear it cut after 4 seconds of the race. The wine can't be heard during the rest of the race, except that there might just be something in the last 20 meters. There is some chain and tyre noise that may be drowning slight motor noise as it cuts in and out with low power, but judge for yourselves. If I were on the adjudication panel, I would find in favour of Oxygen. Let's have a vote.

Video coming shortly.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
To me in the first video it looks like It only needed a fraction more assist speed to win, perhaps it just boils down to a 1 mph or so difference ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the video is 33s long but the race up to the finish line is only 29s - check the time index.
Average speed: 17.38mph

D

Deleted member 4366

This is the one. I measured 33 secs from go at 1:11 to crossing the line at 1:44. In the first video, they've already started before the video:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Just out of interest, I've had a look at this. The race distance is 243 metres (Starting from outside Park House / Java to the south of the St George's Road junction, and finishing on the north side of the Charlotte Street junction) I used a measuring tool which we use at work (Measure Map).

The race duration was 32 - 33 seconds, I can't work out when the front wheel crossed the line, but the rear wheel was certainly over after 33 seconds.

To travel 243 metres in 33 seconds gives an average speed of 16.47 mph.

D

Deleted member 4366

Does the measurements of the race distance from a map take into account that it is on a slope

http://www.ams.org/samplings/feature-column/fcarc-surveying-one

That mapping system has errors. Look at the start frame of the first video. You can see the slope of the hill from the line of the railings. It doesn't bear any relationship to the above picture. The actual slope has a slight gradient for the first 10 meters or so, then the next 50% is a constant gradient, and the next 50% is slightly steeper

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
That mapping system has errors. Look at the start frame of the first video. You can see the slope of the hill from the line of the railings. It doesn't bear any relationship to the above picture. The actual slope has a slight gradient for the first 10 meters or so, then the next 50% is a constant gradient, and the next 50% is slightly steeper
If you are measuring the horizontal distance from a map then the race distance travelled by the bike up the hill will be underestimated. Therefore the average speed will be overestimated.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You mean underestimated surely?

ground distance: 243m
elevation (Park House): 24.4m
elevation (at the top): 47.1m
race distance: 244m
average gradient: 9.3%
steepest section: 14% (half way up)

If the race was run in 33 seconds, average speed is 16.6mph

Then the rightful winner is the one with the motor off the longest.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hold on, I thought it was the electric bike word championships, not the non-electric bike world championship. We need to find a steeper hill so that the motor's on all the time.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You mean underestimated surely?

ground distance: 243m
elevation (Park House): 24.4m
elevation (at the top): 47.1m
race distance: 244m
average gradient: 9.3%
steepest section: 14% (half way up)

If the race was run in 33 seconds, average speed is 16.6mph

Then the rightful winner is the one with the motor off the longest.
Yes you are right trex, if the distance is underestimated that will result in the speed being underestimated.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
is it just me or does that video suggest the assist is on all the way up on the Oxygen?
I've not ridden an Oxygen bike, but my understanding is that if you are riding above the cut off speed, the motor does just that, cuts off, effectively making it an unassisted bike.

The bike being used on that video didn't sound like like an unassisted bike at any point during the race.

Hold on, I thought it was the electric bike word championships, not the non-electric bike world championship. We need to find a steeper hill so that the motor's on all the time.
exactly...

because its possible to get above the cut off speed, and the short distance, mean I would have been faster on my road bike.

But I stand by my point... the Haibike and KTM cut off on that hill when the riders got over the speed. The Oxygen didnt.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
To be fair, it does sound like the motor is on all the way up the hill. Of course, that's not scientific as we don't know what the top speed is.

On a personal basis, I'm not bothered about it one way or another. However in the interests of fair play. Oxygen and KTM need to send me a bike each for a month. ;) Come on, you can't blame me for trying. :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Doing 16.8 is just within the tolerances if a legal bike but to be fair it did seem to run all the time.
It's not sour grapes from KTM but no real evidence of foul play by Oxigen either as tire size and pressure can all factor into it.

A win to Oxigen but no dishonour to KTM as they cycled a fair hard race. On a good bike too

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Did I see someone on a grassy knoll about two-thirds of the way through the video?