Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But fears were raised last night that Britain's new aircraft carrier could be vulnerable to a cyber-attack after it emerged the ship was still using the outdated computer software used by the NHS. Navy chiefs boasted the defence system on the UK's biggest ever warship, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, will be NASA standard - rather than like the NHS system that was hacked into several months ago. But computers in the flying control room on the £3.1billion state-of-the-art carrier showed the system was still running on Windows XP. The vast majority of NHS computers hit by a global cyber-attack in May this year were running Windows XP, which can have serious security flaws."
This clearly shows strong and stable consistency in the proud tradition of our post WW2 Royal Navy:

HMS Sheffield was an anti-missile destroyer, it's sole purpose to intercept incoming missiles and destroy them. It was sunk off the Falklands by two incoming missiles which its computer controlled systems didn't see coming.

So we designed a replacement series, the Type 45 anti-missile destroyer. We've no idea how effective that is at intercepting missiles, since it's broken down in every ocean it's managed to limp to. Most of the engine system breakdowns happen just a few miles after leaving port.

And now we have this wonderful aircraft carrier, two of them in fact, but we haven't any planes for them. So we are buying some of the new American F35C planes for just one of them, which is all we can afford, and mothballing the other carrier as soon as it's build is complete.

The aircaft carrier uses a similar propulsion system to that which breaks down in theType 45 destroyer, so it might not get very far. And as for the F35C planes, their development program is the most expensive military weapons system in history, and has been much criticized inside and outside government, in the U.S. and in allied countries. Critics argue that the plane is plagued with design flaws. As far back as 2014 it was $163 billions over budget and seven years behind schedule. And the F35C planes on the one carrier won't all be ours, half will be US ones operated by them.

Britannia rules the waves? These days she couldn't keep order in a paddling pool.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I value my insecurities, they are what make me..
We are approaching engineering design from opposite view points. In my universe, the primary requirement is that the product or process functions, if it does not the company gets mired in extensive and expensive lawsuits. Next is will the client or public wear the cost, if not can they be induced to by making the product more attractive and then can we make enough of them to be profitable. Linked into this is a whole family of product certification, test design, diagnostic tools etc.
I can see lots of words, but I'm not sure if they are actually saying anything meaningful. :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This clearly shows strong and stable consistency in the proud tradition of our post WW2 Royal Navy:

HMS Sheffield was an anti-missile destroyer, it's sole purpose to intercept incoming missiles and destroy them. It was sunk off the Falklands by two incoming missiles which its computer controlled systems didn't see coming.

So we designed a replacement series, the Type 45 anti-missile destroyer. We've no idea how effective that is at intercepting missiles, since it's broken down in every ocean it's managed to limp to. Most of the engine system breakdowns happen just a few miles after leaving port.

And now we have this wonderful aircraft carrier, two of them in fact, but we haven't any planes for them. So we are buying some of the new American F35C planes for just one of them, which is all we can afford, and mothballing the other carrier as soon as it's build is complete.

The aircaft carrier uses a similar propulsion system to that which breaks down in theType 45 destroyer, so it might not get very far. And as for the F35C planes, their development program is the most expensive military weapons system in history, and has been much criticized inside and outside government, in the U.S. and in allied countries. Critics argue that the plane is plagued with design flaws. As far back as 2014 it was $163 billions over budget and seven years behind schedule. And the F35C planes on the one carrier won't all be ours, half will be US ones operated by them.

Britannia rules the waves? These days she couldn't keep order in a paddling pool.
But apart from the carriers suffering persistant engine problems, us having very few aircraft to put on them, the aircraft we are putting on there being plagued with problems and us being unable to afford to run one of the two ships, its all a brilliant success.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
But apart from the carriers suffering persistant engine problems, us having very few aircraft to put on them, the aircraft we are putting on there being plagued with problems and us being unable to afford to run one of the two ships, its all a brilliant success.
And it passed under the Bridges too!

Am I allowed to ask this?
What is it for?
Sorry, I suppose I shouldn't ask questions like that.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
And it passed under the Bridges too!

Am I allowed to ask this?
What is it for?
Sorry, I suppose I shouldn't ask questions like that.
It's to enable strong and stable leaders to showcase their strength and leadership on the world stage. With a couple of carriers like that, no one is going to kick sand in Tessa's face now. There is no option other than to take her seriously.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's to enable strong and stable leaders to showcase their strength and leadership on the world stage. With a couple of carriers like that, no one is going to kick sand in Tessa's face now. There is no option other than to take her seriously.
Bit of shame it looks like someone didn't tell them that really classy Aircraft Carriers should have one hump not two on their back, it looks like it was designed by a committee, and ended up as a Camel.
Aha! I get it now, this is to confuse incoming missiles so they don't know which way it's going.
That way you don't need to worry about only having Windows XP on the computers.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I must be Dreaming! this is front page on the Sun!
"
SPENDING's UP AND DUP
Theresa May faces fury as deal with the DUP to stay in power could cost British taxpayers £24BILLION

PM signs a five year ‘confidence and supply’ agreement with the Ulster unionist party after 17 days of negotiations

Most of that of course refers to the rest of the UK, it is simply indicative of how far from grace she has fallen with the right wing press.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bit of shame it looks like someone didn't tell them that really classy Aircraft Carriers should have one hump not two on their back, it looks like it was designed by a committee
Near to the mark, the two command towers are in effect for operation by committee. One conning tower is for the navy to command the ship, the other is for the air command controlling flight operations.

Personally I think this design is bonkers, given how tightly interlinked these two operations are during takeoff and particularly landing.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
"The Royal Navy's largest ever warship squeezed under the Forth Bridge late last night after the captain had to wait for the right tide.
But with rising sea levels will they be able to get it back under again? Will the next one make it under?

XP was the first MS operating system I found reasonably usable. As long as you don't connect the computer to the internet. I have seen computers running XP pwnd before the end of the install process, mind blowing!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A tip here, this was an opportunity to ask tillson the following
"Was that witty and pithy remark your entry for the thread Pith Artist contest?"
I would have given him a chance to show his admirable command of satirical banter.
Remember, you have, like Mr Murdoch, to think of our ratings.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Independent
"
Philip Hammond mocks Boris Johnson over Brexit in front of German audience
Boris Johnson had said Britain could 'have our cake and eat it' over Brexit
His comments calling for a "smooth and orderly path" to new trading arrangements also appeared to clash with comments made by Brexit Secretary David Davis, who said any transitional arrangements should end before the next UK election in 2022.

Eschewing tougher language used by Theresa May before June, Mr Hammond told his German audience: "We are like-minded in so many ways, and have shared values and a shared view of the world.

"Our economy is firmly in the European mainstream, and it is our ardent wish to be able to keep it anchored there."

Mr Hammond had been set for the sack before the election. But after Ms May failed to win a majority, he made his support for the weakened Prime Minister dependent on a more open approach to EU negotiations - he is now seen as a favourite to succeed her.

He had already given one significant speech calling for change and his emergence as a force for a different Brexit, backed by Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson, has caused friction in cabinet where Brexiteers are reported to have threatened resignations if Ms May abandons her tougher immigration-focussed approach.

How much worse is this internal Tory squabble going to get before something blows?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
One of the Urban Myths is here
Concerning the doings (or not doings) of Cambridge Analytica regarding it's support (or not ) of the Leave EU Campaign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40423629/what-was-the-role-of-cambridge-analytica-and-psychographics-in-the-eu-referendum

On balance they look like a bunch of Con men, but there are questions as to whether work was carried out and not declared to answer.
There seems to be also a lot of altered versions of their position on the matter too.
And of course whether what they are selling is "Snake Oil"
If as they say a thing sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

It's not so much that I doubt propaganda works, I am just suspicious that they have the statistical and analytical skills to manipulate the public in a short time.

Like a tree Propaganda needs time to grow, and these characters claim to be able to bottle it and produce results on demand, which would make Hypnotism seem pretty crude by comparison.

In principle manipulation by means hidden from the victim is of course insidious and sinister, even if the effect is simply to con large fees from those who want to employ it to gain an unfair advantage over opposition, and exploit their Gullibility.
Morally the idea is bankrupt., but a nice little earner.

No wonder it appeals to the Far Right, it is like something out of 1984.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
In Poland, the England U21 football side lost their semi-final to Germany.....on penalty kicks. Quelle surprise! It's like that film, 'Groundhog Day'!

Aidy Boothroyd, lovely chap and ex-Watford manager, now in charge of the England youngsters, explained that his side showed that 'great British bulldog spirit'........and lost!

I wonder if there are any lessons to be learned here about how we conduct ourselves in the 'Brexit' talks? It seems to me that our representatives have been indulging in quite a lot of that 'British bullshine spirit' even at this early stage of proceedings leading towards our ultimate surrender.

Tom

• Agree

Advertisers