Bottom bracket replacement

Riverboots

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2012
Trondheim, Norway
Hi all.
The original external bearings on my 906 (3000km) came loose whilst cycling and upon inspection were found to be badly worn, dirt and wet having got in.

I noticed that the frame still has a lot of paint where i've read it should have been "chased and faced" before installing the original BB.
1. How critical is this for a bike with external BB's?
2. Could this have caused the premature failure of my bearings?
3. Is it worth scraping the paint away myself or is it strictly a proff job?
4. Can anyone at Wisper shed light on if the bike should normally be delivered "chased and faced" during quality control?
Regards
James

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
"chased and faced" on a Chinese bike? it's more like 'dip and shine', they are not going to face the shell before fitting the BB from fear of cracking the spray paint.
3000km sounds a little low but you could fit a new Shimano BB with cartridge bearings from ebay for £10.

Reactions: Riverboots
D

Deleted member 4366

Did it go on the pedal sensor side? If so, I think it's because the magnet disc interferes with the lip on the bearing seal. I always chamfer the inner corner of the magnet disc to make sure that it stays well clear of the seal's lip.

Reactions: Riverboots

Riverboots

Jul 3, 2012
Trondheim, Norway
Thankyou for the replies.
Trex: You don't think I would gain anything by removing the paint myself then? (see pics below).

I did try to fit a shimano SM-BB70 but the chap in the shop eventually took it back after I showed him that the crank does not go all the way through this type as the original did. I assume the extra clearance is necessary for the sensor on this bike. In the end I sourced an original Samox BB from the Wisper dealer in Oslo to be safe.

d8veh: It did indeed become loose on the sensor side. I first noticed when my pedals started to seize while cycling and the only remedy was to pedal backwards! Both bearings are horribly worn and "grumbling".
These are the parts I have after removal (minus the crank and pedals!) Which is the magnetic disk you refer to? Is it the small ring 2nd left? I hope I'm not missing anything!

Regards
James

photo.JPG
IMG_1329 - Version 2.jpg IMG_1330.jpg

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

The magnet disc is the black plastic disc with magnets in. it's not in any of your photos. IIRC it's more like a star than a disc and it has little flutes on the inner diameter, which are the things that need to e chamfered back. It's probably sitting behind the chain-wheel on the main shaft.

stevel

Aug 18, 2010
Thankyou for the replies.
Trex: You don't think I would gain anything by removing the paint myself then? (see pics below).

I did try to fit a shimano SM-BB70 but the chap in the shop eventually took it back after I showed him that the crank does not go all the way through this type as the original did. I assume the extra clearance is necessary for the sensor on this bike. In the end I sourced an original Samox BB from the Wisper dealer in Oslo to be safe.

d8veh: It did indeed become loose on the sensor side. I first noticed when my pedals started to seize while cycling and the only remedy was to pedal backwards! Both bearings are horribly worn and "grumbling".
These are the parts I have after removal (minus the crank and pedals!) Which is the magnetic disk you refer to? Is it the small ring 2nd left? I hope I'm not missing anything!

Regards
James

View attachment 7821
View attachment 7818 View attachment 7819
Interesting as my 906 Alpino is fitted with a sealed cartridge bottom bracket
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Sizes-Raleigh-Shimano-Type-Bike-Bicycle-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Sealed-Cartridge/110979389130?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.RVI&ao=1&asc=20205&meid=4720263447329164915&pid=100033&prg=9064&rk=0&rkt=4&sd=181006959309

Advertisers