Best supplier for Bafang kit.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
OK... I see now why you don't want rear hub. Nice bike but, How do you plan to marry mid drive with belt? Is the belt strong enough to survive extra torque?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sure you ca get carbon belts brose use them for there motors but any more than 60nm on a gear hub will rip it to bits.

tho if you up the motors amps dump the gear hub and just run with one gear at the back but the belt /chain will need to be straight or wont last 5mins.

Reactions: Brik

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
BBS01 @ 36 volts is only around 60 - 80 Newtons so I should be ok, hopefully.
It would be interesting to see how that SRF3 hub copes with the mid drive power. I've been inside one of my SRF3 hubs that had done 4000 miles plus and it was pretty much unworn. They are quite sturdy inside, so if you are not using high levels of assistance from the motor, they might last ok.

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
It would be interesting to see how that SRF3 hub copes with the mid drive power. They are quite sturdy inside, so if you are not using high levels of assistance from the motor, they might last ok.
I fitted the hub end of March this year or around 600 miles ago and so far it's all good.
I do use all of the power some of the time and occasionally will put the motor on full power in gear one and power up and over bridges or hills etc.
I did notice that the indicator chain has become twisted somehow so I need to source a replacement, I do sometimes allow it to change gear whilst the motor is supplying power because it feels good to quickly bang through the gears, possibly not the most sympathetic use though...

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I fitted the hub end of March this year or around 600 miles ago and so far it's all good.
I do use all of the power some of the time and occasionally will put the motor on full power in gear one and power up and over bridges or hills etc.
I did notice that the indicator chain has become twisted somehow so I need to source a replacement, I do sometimes allow it to change gear whilst the motor is supplying power because it feels good to quickly bang through the gears, possibly not the most sympathetic use though...
No, I doubt banging through the gears without backing off the motor would do it any good at all. You were not supposed to even pedal when you made it change.

I can't think how the little gear change chain would get twisted up, except by being twisted up as you tightened the adjustment, but you would have seen that happen, I would think.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Chicken.
I did look into putting disks on it, the front looked easy enough to do but in the end I decided to buy a whole new bike...
View attachment 58752
A downtube battery would sit nice and low on that bike, see mine below with a 20ah 36v Hailong 1 (smallest size Hailong), it rides very well

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need to stop pedalling to change gear with those hubs, but the Bafang mid-drives have a bit of run-on, which would be a problem. You'd have to use either a gear sensor or a brake sensor with a co-ordinated dab of the brake to cut the motor. Neither solution is x- fantastic, but not a deal-breaker.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
You need to stop pedalling to change gear with those hubs, but the Bafang mid-drives have a bit of run-on, which would be a problem. You'd have to use either a gear sensor or a brake sensor with a co-ordinated dab of the brake to cut the motor. Neither solution is x- fantastic, but not a deal-breaker.
If you have a Bafang programming serial cable, you can turn off that 'run on'. It is very easy once you get cable to do the job.

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS

Load this web page for the BBSxxx series, and do it all with that:

The parameter concerned is called, 'Time of Stop (x 10 ms)' in this utility. It is in the Pedal Assist tab. Set the value to zero if this is what you want.

I have mine set at a quarter of a second (25) but you can set the value to zero.

To be honest though, I think that may make the power delivery a little choppy.

EDIT:

Warning - be careful with max current and start current values. The controller will appreciate a gentle start. It won't appreciate a hard start with the wheels stationary. It will likely blow up.

Connect using the serial port and load up the existing settings. Save the file in case you wish to revert and don't mess with anything you don't fully understand.

Last edited:

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
You need to stop pedalling to change gear with those hubs...
It's not something I do all the time but I have been known to just flick through from 1 to 3 whilst using full throttle.
I can't think how the little gear change chain would get twisted up, except by being twisted up as you tightened the adjustment, but you would have seen that happen, I would think.
Possibly the chain was stretched rather than actually twisted, could of happened whilst finding out it won't change from 3 to 2, or 2 to 1 whilst under load!

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
How do you plan to marry mid drive with belt?
IMG_20240714_221726.jpg

It can't be that hard.
They sell off the shelf adapters, if I can't find the size I need then I do have a drill and an angle grinder.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"3X3 Nine Gear Hub: A (Ebike) Lifetime without Maintenance

Maximum input torque: 250 Nm"

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Max torque 100Nm

£426.00"

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
Just to update this thread, I went with PSW power in the end as they were only £476.63 for a bbs01b, 46t chain ring, magnet type brake sensors, dpc-18 display, thumb throttle, tools and a 36v 15ah battery with rear rack. It was delivered 7 days after I ordered direct on PSW's website with no extra delivery or tax charges to pay.
The two massive parcels were well wrapped and survived their trip undamaged so I haven't been able to test PSW on their customer services but other than that I would recommend them to anyone.
I was out on the newly converted bike today, sort of proof of concept cum initial test ride and overall I'm pleased with it.
IMG_20240730_201650.jpg
I need to finalise the wiring and add in the brake light loom and lights.
Also it would be nice to extend the brake hoses as they are a little taught, I may as well change the brake levers for ones with integrated cut off switches too whilst I'm there...

Reactions: Az. and Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Just to update this thread, I went with PSW power in the end as they were only £476.63 for a bbs01b, 46t chain ring, magnet type brake sensors, dpc-18 display, thumb throttle, tools and a 36v 15ah battery with rear rack. It was delivered 7 days after I ordered direct on PSW's website with no extra delivery or tax charges to pay.
The two massive parcels were well wrapped and survived their trip undamaged so I haven't been able to test PSW on their customer services but other than that I would recommend them to anyone.
I was out on the newly converted bike today, sort of proof of concept cum initial test ride and overall I'm pleased with it.
View attachment 59089
You got a bargain there then Brik. Hope it goes well.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Man, that's cheap! And with "SAMSUNG INR21700-50GB 21700" cells too. I paid Amazon seller IEBIKE £806 for my BBS01B kit with LG MH1 celled 19.2Ah battery in 2019. Mind you, I was in a hurry and didn't want to order from China because Brexit date was approaching; delivery arrangements from China were undefined... but delivery was very fast from somewhere in Europe, and he did send me a free 52T chainring from China, because he had none available at his "European warehouse", wherever that was.

I'm very interested in seeing how many miles each of your belts and that hub Sturmey Archer(?) hub gear last.

Last edited:

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
I'm very interested in seeing how many miles each of your belts and that hub Sturmey Archer(?) hub gear last.
The new bike is the one with a belt and Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub.
The old bike has a single speed chain with a Sturmy 3 speed hub.
If you are really interested in seeing how durable the 3 speed is then don't forget that the bike is listed for sale, I don't have space for two bikes so you could probably get it for around £450.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The new bike is the one with a belt and Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub.
The old bike has a single speed chain with a Sturmy 3 speed hub.
If you are really interested in seeing how durable the 3 speed is then don't forget that the bike is listed for sale, I don't have space for two bikes so you could probably get it for around £450.
I've never seen a second hand BBSXXX kit on ebay - would the kit offered separately be snapped up fast? Bafang mid-drive conversions seem to take ages to sell.

A certain old 16" wheeled folding bike I've got an eye open for, has a 135mm Nexus 8 speed hub... which I could rip out to replace with a powerful hub motor, to make an epic rear hub motored commuting monster to rival my excellent Dahon Helios P8 BBS01B conversion's hill climbing ability, and perhaps maybe it's speed, possibly using the same 36V battery. Can't do that with a Brompton, not easily anyway: almost certainly stuck with a front hub motor. But I'm always wondering about conversions which will never happen, because the one I already have is brilliant.

Last edited: