Battery not fully charging

pears_91

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2023
I have a bike with 36v battery. When it was new I'm sure it used to charge to 42v. But now it charges only to 36v.

I made the battery pack myself, and will take apart and measure voltage over each cell etc.. I don't have any equipment for reviving battery cells or charging them other than my ebike charger.. so probably if I want to fix anything I guess I'll have to buy some equipment.. also I installed standard BMS not smart so I can't see any info on an app etc.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what itay be.. and any advice best way to test and fix?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can take the ten cell readings directly via the cells by alternating the meter probes to the correct cell group or via the BMS sense wire connector.

A pic of the battery build might also be helpful.

One needs to register ten individual cell readings and the result should pin point where the issue is. At 36v though it sounds like a dead cell group or a verrrry low one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I made the battery pack myself, and will take apart and measure voltage over each cell etc..
Were they new cells or cobbled together from various used cells ?

pears_91

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2023
It's probably had around 40 charge cycles 18 months old. Unused for about 6 months at 1 point.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Likely BMS has drained a cell group low but until one can take the ten cell readings it is a guessing game.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Bikes4two

Advertisers