Batteries

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not quite that bad, we already have over half that charging rate for some cars with leads easily handled. This is from just one of the companies involved, Gridserve:

"That takes total High Power charger installations for the year to 118, which means we now operate 141 High Power 350kW- capable chargers at 15 locations, including our Electric Forecourts® in Norwich and Braintree – where we also have dozens of 90kW DC".

No need for a power station either, there are some techniques getting round that need.

• 1 Lucid Air - 350 kW, 15 minutes. ...
  • 2 Kia EV6/ Hyundai Ioniq 5 - 350kW, 18 minutes. ...
  • 3 Hyundai Ioniq 6 - 350 kW, 18 minutes. ...
  • 4 Genesis Electrified GV70, Genesis GV60 - 350kW, 18 minutes. ...
  • 5 Audi E-Tron GT - 270kW, 21 minutes. ...
  • 6 Genesis Electrified G80 - 350kW, 22 minutes.
and of course there's Tesla's numerous 250kW superchargers.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not quite that bad, we already have over half that charging rate for some cars with leads easily handled. This is from just one of the companies involved, Gridserve:

"That takes total High Power charger installations for the year to 118, which means we now operate 141 High Power 350kW- capable chargers at 15 locations, including our Electric Forecourts® in Norwich and Braintree – where we also have dozens of 90kW DC".

No need for a power station either, there are some techniques getting round that need.

• 1 Lucid Air - 350 kW, 15 minutes. ...
  • 2 Kia EV6/ Hyundai Ioniq 5 - 350kW, 18 minutes. ...
  • 3 Hyundai Ioniq 6 - 350 kW, 18 minutes. ...
  • 4 Genesis Electrified GV70, Genesis GV60 - 350kW, 18 minutes. ...
  • 5 Audi E-Tron GT - 270kW, 21 minutes. ...
  • 6 Genesis Electrified G80 - 350kW, 22 minutes.
and of course there's Tesla's numerous 250kW superchargers.
If you go into the details, none of those things give you what they say.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY/comments/1048wep

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I disagree, read the answers. All rapid and ultra rapid chargers only deliver the full amount initially and slowly and gradually phase down the rate as the battery fills, the rate falling off a cliff at 80% charged to protect the battery. The person complaining was already at 68% charge, very close to the maximum 80% delivered by a Tesla supercharger, so obviously the rate was well down at that point.

But I've posted some actual total charging times for you of between 15 and 22 minutes, these are to 80% of course and on cars and batteries designed for the very high rates, enough time to drink a coffee before getting on your way.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I disagree, read the answers. All rapid and ultra rapid chargers only deliver the full amount initially and slowly and gradually phase down the rate as the battery fills, the rate falling off a cliff at 80% charged to protect the battery. The person complaining was already at 68% charge, very close to the maximum 80% delivered by a Tesla supercharger, so obviously the rate was well down at that point.

But I've posted some actual total charging times for you of between 15 and 22 minutes, these are to 80% of course and on cars and batteries designed for the very high rates, enough time to drink a coffee before getting on your way.
That's known as "cope". Most of the ones saying it could be done are probably all bots. You can see who are the actual car owners, who tried it, and all said 70kw.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's known as "cope". Most of the ones saying it could be done are probably all bots. You can see who are the actual car owners, who tried it, and all said 70kw.
Without knowing what charge they already had when plugging in, the numbers are meaningless. I know from my own experience how the phase down happens and it corresponds with those charge times I quoted for cars that could accept those high charge levels.

Ok, you hate e-vehicles but you try too hard to convince. Remember back in January when you tried to say our buses were burning at two a week after two had burnt for the reason I'd given.

No London e-bus has caught fire since and there's no way anyone round here wants the diesels back through our estate.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

It's a Model Y thread which may explain. Their two newest models, the 3 and the Y were developed to use Tesla's own large cell batteries, the 21700 and 4680 celled. But as I've previously reported, Tesla have been having big problems producing enough of those cells, so to keep up with demand for the cars for some while they've been sent out with 7200 18640s in each car. I wouldn't be at all surprised if those models were deliberately charge restricted for longevity, since it's the car which tells the charger its charge limitation.

That would explain why two of the owners have had no problem over time with several different chargers if their cars were the earlier large celled model Y.

Naughty of Tesla if so, but they've never been shy of exaggeration.

However, the great majority of these ultra rapid chargers are not Tesla's, they are from other charging companies and I've seen or heard of no such problem with theirs.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Samsung delivers solid-state battery for EVs with 600-mile range as it teases 9-minute charging and 20-year lifespan tech

Samsung has been shipping its solid-state battery with high energy density to electric vehicle makers, but warns that it will first land in more expensive models. It is also ready to deliver other promising battery technologies.

"Samsung's oxide solid-state battery technology is rated for an energy density of about 500 Wh/kg"

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Samsung delivers solid-state battery for EVs with 600-mile range as it teases 9-minute charging and 20-year lifespan tech

Samsung has been shipping its solid-state battery with high energy density to electric vehicle makers, but warns that it will first land in more expensive models. It is also ready to deliver other promising battery technologies.

"Samsung's oxide solid-state battery technology is rated for an energy density of about 500 Wh/kg"

If I treat my current 2020, Sanyo 18650, 10s 6p battery kindly, I might be able to keep it going so that my next battery is one of these Samsung, solid state wonder batteries.

I am trying to get my head around the idea of a solid electrolyte which allows ions to pass through in sufficient numbers. I watched an electric car take off rapidly this morning when I was walking and I tried to imagine how many ions were moving through that battery from anode to cathode to allow the huge number of electrons to be free at the anode to provide all that power.

Getting into the nitty gritty of how these batteries work is a bit mind bending, I think.

If these solid electrolyte batteries actually deliver what is being claimed for them we are in for another battery revolution.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If I treat my current 2020, Sanyo 18650, 10s 6p battery kindly, I might be able to keep it going so that my next battery is one of these Samsung, solid state wonder batteries.

I am trying to get my head around the idea of a solid electrolyte which allows ions to pass through in sufficient numbers. I watched an electric car take off rapidly this morning when I was walking and I tried to imagine how many ions were moving through that battery from anode to cathode to allow the huge number of electrons to be free at the anode to provide all that power.

Getting into the nitty gritty of how these batteries work is a bit mind bending, I think.

If these solid electrolyte batteries actually deliver what is being claimed for them we are in for another battery revolution.
We tend to visualise ions and electrons as little objects moving around, but they're not like that at all. When you get down to quantum stuff, things get a bit weird, where speed and position can't be defined, but the end result is as if they did behave like little objects.

Reactions: Ghost1951 and flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Twisted carbon nanotubes could achieve significantly better energy storage than advanced lithium-ion batteries

"They found that the best-performing ropes could store 15,000 times more energy per unit mass than steel springs, and about three times more energy than lithium-ion batteries."

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Twisted carbon nanotubes could achieve significantly better energy storage than advanced lithium-ion batteries

"They found that the best-performing ropes could store 15,000 times more energy per unit mass than steel springs, and about three times more energy than lithium-ion batteries."

The use of nano tubes of carbon on the battery anode is important because the usual material is doped graphite which can not store as many lithium ions as can an anode which has a 3d structure of carbon tunnels. Using graphene or a material with tubular structure will increase capacity for storing more lithium ions. More lithium ions means more capacity.

This is good battery video:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Don't expect radically new battery technologies to arrive on the market in the next few months - ten years might be more realistic.

New technologies such as solid electrolytes have problems attached to them, and some claims about vast increases in power density are a bit on the wild side when all factors are taken into account.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Elon Musk Announces Tesla's NEW Aluminum-ion Super Battery. 15-min Charging, 5000 Wh/kg Density

Some mad claims are made in that video. One being that the batteries have huge capacity when compared with lithium batteries. Aluminium batteries have half the voltage so you will need twice as many cells.... Doesn't stack up does it, even though a graphene cathode because it is mostly hollow will allow good storage of the aluminium ions.

I made an aluminium ion cell myself in five minutes after seeing this.

I managed to get it to 1.4 volts potential after ten minutes charge on a small lithium charger and its short circuit current was 90 miliamps for as long as I was prepared to torture it. This surprised me for a kitchen top experiment. It does store power and give it out. 90 miliamps into a dead short was a surprise.

Dead easy and fun project I am going to do this summer holiday with my eldest grandson who is 8. He loves stuff like that.

I found some thick braided copper screen from a UHF coax cable and cut off about 60 mm of it. That is the anode for the cell.

I wrapped the anode except the top (my current collector) in paper kitchen towel (my permeable insulation barrier).

I made my cathode out of aluminium kitchen foil, wrapping this around the insulated copper braid anode, making sure the two electrodes were not shorting anywhere.

The two electrodes fitted nicely into an old plastic solder container - the sort that you get when you buy a small quantity of coiled lead/tin solder.

The electrolyte is just a saturated solution of table salt in water.

I charged the cell up for a few minutes with a small lithium charger running at 4 volts which is a bit much for such a cell, but anyway, after ten minutes, I topped up the electrolyte because some of it had bubbled up as the cell was gassing a bit and it can spilled over the brim.

Aluminium copper sodium cells like this are supposed to top out at about 1.4 volts, which this one shows when it first comes off the charger (1.5v actually), but it settles back down to 1.39 volts.

Aluminium as a cathode is bound to be lower voltage than lithium which has a higher electrical potential because lithium is so much more reactive than aluminium and aluminium has much more tightly bound electrons. Lithium has three electrons and one of them is just dying to get away. That is why lithium is so much in use as a battery material, even with all its disadvantages in cost and reactivity (fire risk). Its willingness to chuck away that outer electron is great for a battery and raises the voltage to 4 volts. Alu batteries have much lower potential - hence my remark about Musk's 'wonder battery' He can not overcome that and will need to run two of his cells in series to match any lithium one.

Quite a fun project for nil outlay and quick to do.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Short circuit current new info.

I did the short test again and the battery is now putting 146 Ma into a dead short across my meter at 1.35 volts.

Pretty damned good that. I wonder why it has improved. Some sort of reaction going on in there. Even when no current is being put in or drawn out, the salty water electrolyte is bubbling gently.

EDIT:

Actually when I measured the voltage during a dead short, it dropped dramatically from 1.4v to 0.56v. So the cell has a long way to go before I become a battery magnate.... It produces 81Mahr into a zero ohms load.... :)

Maybe I'll just go and ride my bike in the sunshine rather than reinventing the re-chargeable battery in my kitchen....

I would like to try it again with tightly rolled up foils of copper, separator and aluminium. The greater the surface area of anode and cathode, the more power you can store and the more power you can extract. That's how our 18650 cells are constructed - really tightly rolled, close quarters strips of anode, separator and cathode.

I might even try it with aluminium cathode and graphite powder anode. I have some lock lubricant which is powdered graphite. I could stick that onto some foil as the current collector and see what happens.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
DCS sues Small YouTuber for accurate product review showing battery issues & misleading warranty