Bafang brake sensor bypass

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake sensors may be needed for crappy systems that have over run or if one has throttle that shorts.
I had brake sensors on two early systems because of over run , one was lishui and the other BBS01.
I soon after those two found the KT 's and haven't needed them since.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake sensors won't prolong motor life but may save the controller from failure if one has a throttle short or terrible motor over run.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
About 8 years ago, there was a guy on this forum, who broke his throttle, which made the motor run continuously at half of maximum speed. That's what happens when the zero speed magnet gets broken off, or you break the plastic throttle-stop. Instead of switching off, he used his brake to stop the motor and he didn't have a brake switch installed. The high current due to the stalled motor blew the MOSFETs in his controller. The motor was OK.

That's a really daft thing to do. If your throttle breaks and causes your motor to run when you don't want it to, all you need to do is lift the spinning wheel off the ground or lay the bike on the ground, then you have all the time in the world to switch off the bike. After that you can disconnect the throttle or cut the wire, then you can ride home with just the pedal assist. You need a new throttle anyway, so it no problem to cut the wire, or a big heave-ho should pull the cable out of the throttle, and if you haven't got the strength to do that, use a stick like a tourniquet.

vantage

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2022
How do you think what happens inside motor when you apply power and brakes at the same time?
Other than reasons I've stated earlier, what possible reason would you have to pedal and brake at the same time?
Even in that case, the motor would only be under the same strain as it would under a steep hill climb...depending on how hard you're pedalling obviously.
Throttle shortages etc can be overcome by a very technical method known as "the off button". It's a fantastic device.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Even in that case, the motor would only be under the same strain as it would under a steep hill climb...depending on how hard you're braking obviously.
Not if the motor stops while power is applied - say in a fault condition. It will draw very high current. Hence warning about the controller mosfets.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Other than reasons I've stated earlier, what possible reason would you have to pedal and brake at the same time?
Even in that case, the motor would only be under the same strain as it would under a steep hill climb...depending on how hard you're pedalling obviously.
Throttle shortages etc can be overcome by a very technical method known as "the off button". It's a fantastic device.
Slowing down for a junction and "ghost" pedalling to change down gears, so that you are in the correct gear for starting off from a junction - this is where a torque sensor is handy - ghost pedalling won't engage the motor

Last edited: