Bafang 250w Reprogramming

sparkysxx

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2024
Hi,

Could anyone do some screen shots for me of whats the ideal settings to reprogram my 250w bafang mid drive to?

I've read it with penoff

Controller info:-

Manufacturer: HZXT
Model: SZZ9
Hardware ver: V1.1
Firmware ver: V2.2.0.1
Nominal voltage: 36V
Max current: 20A

Many thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not new to the forum, but forgot my password and don't have the email address I used when I first registered in 2018 ish. Was just called sparkysx then.
Your previous incarnation @sparkysx installed a BBS01B onto a BMX.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/members/sparkysx.24756/#recent-content

From that experience you already know to set keep current to 100%, among other things. Which bike is your new BBS01B installed on? Any photos?

Your 10Ah battery is limiting. Personally, I wouldn't increase the current limit from 15A.

Electric bicycle ebike Downtube Spare Ebike Battery 36V 10Ah Bottle Electric Bicycle Battery Pack f...
Item numberHAITU-3610
£113.10

These settings make starts nice and controllable, and assistance cease rapidly. Easier to make U-turns.

The only changes I've made to the above: speed limit is now set to 25kph in firmware, rather than delegated to the display. Start degree is 2. My previous programming cable broke, I'll connect the new cable sometime. Others prefer Start degree set higher, but it suits me at 2.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
can you re program it to less levels?
I'm pretty sure that it's a basic setting that you can change in the LCD, but limited options, like 3, 5 or 9 levels. If you get the programming cable, you can adjust the power for each level as well as set the number of levels.
AFAIK my DPC18 can't have the number of levels changed, but "many" 850C displays apparently can:

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/bbs02-pedal-assit-level-programming.124800/post-1815407

sparkysxx

Sep 6, 2024
AFAIK my DPC18 can't have the number of levels changed, but "many" 850C displays apparently can:

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/bbs02-pedal-assit-level-programming.124800/post-1815407

That was ages ago
Your previous incarnation @sparkysx installed a BBS01B onto a BMX.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/members/sparkysx.24756/#recent-content

From that experience you already know to set keep current to 100%, among other things. Which bike is your new BBS01B installed on? Any photos?

Your 10Ah battery is limiting. Personally, I wouldn't increase the current limit from 15A.

These settings make starts nice and controllable, and assistance cease rapidly. Easier to make U-turns.

View attachment 59729

The only changes I've made to the above: speed limit is now set to 25kph in firmware, rather than delegated to the display. Start degree is 2. My previous programming cable broke, I'll connect the new cable sometime.

Was ages ago that I had it on the BMX so I don't remember what settings I used at all, or whats best for it. I still have the bmx but it's standard now with no motor.

The motor came with the amps already set to 18.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can you upload all of your settings? You could export and upload the configuration file. Alternatively copy screenshots to clipboard using ALT+PrintScreen, to paste directly in posts, or paste into an image editing program to save as .JPG files to upload.

sparkysxx

Sep 6, 2024
P.S, the bike isn't finished yet, I still need to base coat and lacquer the frame, its an old GT Aggressor 2, 26" wheels. I had a 250w bafang on it in 2019, took it off, sold it and I'm now doing it again. Totally don't remember anything about what values to use on the penoff program though.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Basic" tab: Your small battery will give a longer service life with "Current limit" set to 15A or less. For onroad riding, I'd set "Speed limit %" to 100% for every assist level.

Let us know how you get on. I'm sure battery experts and Bafangers of old and the currently Bafanged will chime in with suggestions and recommendations.

Here's a guide explaining settings:

Last edited:
Reactions: sparkysxx

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another guide:

@Nealh posted this guide recently...

...which has this useful explanatory diagram:

Reactions: sparkysxx