Any reviews of BionX PL250 HT SL XL kit

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I wondered if anyone had either found or in a position to point me to a review of the BionX PL250 HT SL XL lightweight/hi power kit. I am considering kit options for a Trek 6000

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
BionX not that popular as they are expensive. Even with them being available in the UK since last year. Prior to that people used to import them...

a lot of BionX info on German pedelec forum (Germans richer then us), and there are reviews of kit you are interested in:

Google Translate

let us know how you get on.....

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I agree with eddieo that the kits are far too expensive. If you want to go with bionx (and it is a great system) then get a ready made bike like the Trek FX+ or the Kalkhoff. I didn't get on with the rear rack battery when I test rode a Trek. Otherwise I think you pay as much for the kit as for a built bike. Remember battery replacement cost are extremely high - £700-1000 if I remember rightly. Last time I looked 50 cycles didn't even say how much the replacement batteries were.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I agree they seem out of kilter. Would it be possible to rebuild the battery with cells purchased from an online source?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Remember battery replacement cost are extremely high - £700-1000 if I remember rightly. Last time I looked 50 cycles didn't even say how much the replacement .
Good grief. That alone should be enough to rule out any bike using this system without the need for further investigation.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes BionX have killed the appeal just on price of battery alone.....:confused:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Guys,
I have said this many times before, the kit from Trek is the best value way to get a bionx bike. You cannot buy the kit and the equivalent bike for anywhere near the cost of the Trek. Ok recently with the £200 hike and the loss of the carbon fork its not as good a deal. Again Trek must contribute to the battery as a replacement is £450 from any Trek dealer. I like the rear rack battery as it just looks so hidden with panniers and once on the go you do not even notice it. Yes if you are pusing the bike about it does feel unbalanced but no big deal. Also remember in my case the motor Trek supply is the 350 HT and not the 250.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The FX+ is a 6.4 ah battery so will be at the cheaper end. 6.4ah is not really acceptable to most riders and I doubt would get me to work without severely restricting the power. I agree that Trek must subsidise the cost as the cheapest off the shelf battery is actually £575. The top of the range is £1050!!! I would go with the Kalkhoff given the choice but only if they discount the battery by at least £500! Sorry too many of these !!!!!

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I agree they seem out of kilter. Would it be possible to rebuild the battery with cells purchased from an online source?
Possibly but very difficult unless you had the skills. The latest batteries use a canbus system - ie all chip controlled so your new battery might not work.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Yes they have used the lowest battery they could get away with, but the bionx system seems to make the best of it. I really do think from reports of other bikes the bionx system compensates the smaller battery with a more efficent system. But on saying that you cannot beat the laws of physics and its still a small battery. I find it no problem and i can commute 17-20 miles on one charge. The key is to avoid assist 4 on all but the steepest hills, but the assist on level 4 is really cheating :)) so will drain the battery.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
better of with one of these, about 2k + £70 delivery from Germany. or better still look at the Bosch bikes

Google Translate

link not right...click on "E Bikes" on left hand column

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
Hi Guys,
....... Also remember in my case the motor Trek supply is the 350 HT and not the 250.
Overlander,
Is yours unusual for a UK bike? Trek quote 200 Watt motors in their catalogue. Perhaps I just don't understand the motor names.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi OTH,

Now that i cannot say, every one i have seen, albeit only 2 more all had the 350 watt motor. Cannot remember what post it was but i posted pictures of the motor and it had the part number on it. If you want i can look the pictures out but cannot say if all bikes have this. If you think about it, it makes much more sense to use an existing motor which is your mainstream product and i guess meet regulations using software.