Another new bike enters the market

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
For those who are looking for something a bit different from your standard e-bike, take a look on CUBE BIKES . Mountain Bikes . Roadrace . Trekking Bikes and look in the Tour section.
The EPO Model has just been introduced at Eurobike in Germany according to the BikeBiz website.
Looks very like a concept bike which was shown to me a couple of months ago and I thought then it looked a bit special all in white !
Will try to find some more details regards cost and availability and post again soon.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, looks like the BionX, they seem to have been engaged in a big sales surge recently after years of
complacently selling mainly in Canada and the USA.

Trek bikes with them now amongst others, French and German bikes makes as well such as Matra and
Riese & Muller, a new agent for the UK, lower prices for manufacturers. Clearly they want to go places,
but let's hope the quality doesn't suffer

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I see no wires...where does the battery go?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I see no wires...where does the battery go?
Hopefully in the seat tube and would be removable and if not then isn't a goer. I think the design is refreshingly different and gets my vote.

... and a quote from the website

Because of In Frame Charging the battery can be charged in or out of the frame.

Last edited:

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
Is it bionx system?

Hopefully in the seat tube and would be removable and if not then isn't a goer. I think the design is refreshingly different and gets my vote.

... and a quote from the website

Because of In Frame Charging the battery can be charged in or out of the frame.
Is that really bionx or developed by CUBE?

Look really nice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is that really bionx or developed by CUBE?

Look really nice.
Looking at it again, the casing is different, so it could be a development on one or a totally different motor. I've a
feeling I've seen that motor casing on another e-bike very recently.

P.S. Just remembered, it was on a French Matra e-bike design.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Looking at it again, the casing is different, so it could be a development on one or a totally different motor. I've a feeling I've seen that motor casing on another e-bike very recently.
Whether it is Bionx or not I hope they have got the freewheel right or it is direct drive. Certainly looks big enough to be direct drive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just been investigating the original Tidal Force motor that Matra have rights to and it was brushless direct drive.
However it's larger diameter than this new one so I don't think it's that make either.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
interesting concept, definitely aimed at the "racer" types, including the branding (anyone else spotted the "double entendre?" :rolleyes:)

Elcycoltd

Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
Indications today are that the bikes will retail at £2200 and £2400.
Hopefully we can get more information next week.

TorAtle

Aug 19, 2008
Would sure like to hear more about this bike. Very clean. Seat tube looks like one from a time trail bike. Like how the battery seemingly slots into the tube.

I'm assuming 250 watts, but how many kilos?

Photo from Eurobike here

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some of the bikes on the German market are for their high speed/power classes, not legal anywhere else in the EU.
This bike may be one of those.

Those classes are for 250 watts with 40 kph instead of the usual 25 kph assist limit, and another for 500 watts
with 40 kph. Both classes carry additional restrictions like compulsory insurance etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly looks similar, and to the one I saw on a French Matra model. Interesting if the Swiss are in this market,
but they also have a high speed e-bike class like Germany, so it may not be EU legal for other countries.

TorAtle

Aug 19, 2008
Not that it proves much, but the Norwegian agent confirmed they are importing a few EPOs. They probably wouldn't if the bike wasn't EU approved.

I feel good about the fact that it comes from a volume manufacturer and can be bought from my local bike shop. I already own a Cube MTB, and the frame is high quality as is the rest of the components.

The EPO is also made from the ground up as an electric bike which is a plus in my book.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Daniel, though it certainly seems the motor we see in some new German bikes and that Matra I saw is
the Swiss product.