And todays idiots are

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Much the same with majority of drivers.
I have to say, that is rarely the case where i am. People wait behind me for lobg periods. I often have to wave rhem past. In the city though, it is very different.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have to say, that is rarely the case where i am. People wait behind me for lobg periods. I often have to wave rhem past. In the city though, it is very different.
What I meant is how man drivers give way/stop for pedestrians at crossings esp drop kerb ones, they don't. One often has to walk out to force them to stop, very few seem to realise the new vulnerable road user law.

Reactions: Ghost1951

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think the change should have had much more publicity. As said above, most drivers (and cyclists) are unaware of the change; making the situation more dangerous than before.

Reactions: esuark

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Cycling and Osteoporosis: How to Improve Your Bone Density

"The primary reason for cyclists having low bone density is that it is a non-weight bearing activity. High-level cycling in particular has been shown to have negative effects on bone strength because of the amount of time cyclists spend training and riding. You are spending a lot of time seated, with no compression forces on your spine and pelvis. Even though it may feel like you are pedaling hard at times, the forces you are putting into the pedals are not distributed in a way that puts significant strain on your bones, which is needed for bone growth. "

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have a Pashley 'Dingdong' bell. It is loud and sonorous giving two notes on about a decscending 4th.
Once, when coming up behind a large straggly group of chatting walkers, i rang the bell and they started to part. One woman said, 'ooo what a lovely bell' I said, 'It is isn't it, would you like to hear it again?' and rang it. This received a cheer from the walkers.
I regard it as the worlds friendliest bell and much prefer it to any horn. Though it does seem that some people just don't recognise it as a bike bell. My voice is much louder though and can be employed when needed.

After conversations with horse riders it seems they would prefer you to call out to alert them to your prescence. If the horse (with near 360 vision) sees you before the rider is aware a dreadful double startle occurs. First the horse, then the rider in reaction to the horse then more from the horse in reaction to the riders startling. Result - large horse bucking or rearing within the confines of a narrow country lane. Scary stuff.
One rider told me that a horse doesn't recognise a silently moving bike/human combo as being human and, being a prey animal, reacts accordingly. So they now get a, 'Helloooo, bike coming' from me at some distance.

Reactions: Az. and thelarkbox

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One rider told me that a horse doesn't recognise a silently moving bike/human combo as being human and, being a prey animal, reacts accordingly. So they now get a, 'Helloooo, bike coming' from me at some distance.
OK until you meet a foreign bred horse with no knowledge of English. :)

• :D
Reactions: Az.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I have a Pashley 'Dingdong' bell. It is loud and sonorous giving two notes on about a decscending 4th.
Once, when coming up behind a large straggly group of chatting walkers, i rang the bell and they started to part. One woman said, 'ooo what a lovely bell' I said, 'It is isn't it, would you like to hear it again?' and rang it. This received a cheer from the walkers.
I regard it as the worlds friendliest bell and much prefer it to any horn. Though it does seem that some people just don't recognise it as a bike bell. My voice is much louder though and can be employed when needed.

After conversations with horse riders it seems they would prefer you to call out to alert them to your prescence. If the horse (with near 360 vision) sees you before the rider is aware a dreadful double startle occurs. First the horse, then the rider in reaction to the horse then more from the horse in reaction to the riders startling. Result - large horse bucking or rearing within the confines of a narrow country lane. Scary stuff.
I meet quite a lot of horses on my motorbike rides around here, when I ride on the very small, back roads. I like just pootling along at low speeds enjoying the views. So when I meet a horse rider, I just pull up and stop the engine until they either pass, or the rider has them in full control and takes them into a gateway, or onto a verge. I am in no hurry, so why risk the animal doing something unpredictable?

I know that like cyclists, horses have a right to be on roads, but I do question the sanity of riders who take horse on faster roads than, the absolute smallest ones. They are unpredictable, frightened and pretty dangerous creatures, I would say. I really don't like being around them. I once was asked by a farmer I know to hold a 16 hands mare while he was mating her with a 14 hands stallion. He wasn't really tall enough to reach, so I had to hold her next to a hillock of ground so the stallion could be led up onto the hill and could do the job. It was one of the most unpleasant five minutes of my life. The farmer kept shouting from around the back, 'Hold her firm Tony. Put your shoulder into her chest. She is getting away from him!' Never again.... I'm keeping the description civil, and won't go into all the snorting, slavering, eyes goggling and the banging of his hooves on her sides. Those stallions are pretty rough in this business... You REALLY don't want to be at close quarters with this stuff - at least I don't. #mentally-scarred.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I think the change should have had much more publicity. As said above, most drivers (and cyclists) are unaware of the change; making the situation more dangerous than before.
It is noticeably different in the city and the countryside. I am frequently close passed in the town and a few weeks ago I was cut up on a roundabout by a driver who forced me to stop as he shot into a mini roundabout in front of me. He absolutely knew I was there because I was wearing my very bright yellow jacket.

In the countryside I receive amazing amounts of courtesy and patience from drivers who on a 14 to 16 foot road will just follow me for ages until I feel obliged to pull up and wave them past. They sometimes even ignore my 'pass me' signal, done by waving my arm to indicate that I know they are there and want them to pass. This is a very polite place though.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It is noticeably different in the city and the countryside. I am frequently close passed in the town and a few weeks ago I was cut up on a roundabout by a driver who forced me to stop as he shot into a mini roundabout in front of me. He absolutely knew I was there because I was wearing my very bright yellow jacket.

In the countryside I receive amazing amounts of courtesy and patience from drivers who on a 14 to 16 foot road will just follow me for ages until I feel obliged to pull up and wave them past. They sometimes even ignore my 'pass me' signal, done by waving my arm to indicate that I know they are there and want them to pass. This is a very polite place though.
In the daytime:
yellow reflective jacket = invisibility cloak

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I once was asked by a farmer I know to hold a 16 hands mare while he was mating her with a 14 hands stallion. He wasn't really tall enough to reach, so I had to hold her next to a hillock of ground so the stallion could be led up onto the hill and could do the job. It was one of the most unpleasant five minutes of my life. The farmer kept shouting from around the back, 'Hold her firm Tony. Put your shoulder into her chest. She is getting away from him!' Never again.... I'm keeping the description civil, and won't go into all the snorting, slavering, eyes goggling and the banging of his hooves on her sides. Those stallions are pretty rough in this business... You REALLY don't want to be at close quarters with this stuff - at least I don't. #mentally-scarred.
Clouds and silver linings, the stallion will be your friend for life!

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Clouds and silver linings, the stallion will be your friend for life!
I NEVER want to see him again! :) It was a pretty gross experience, as I think you can imagine.

The good thing is that a nice foal resulted. I saw it later.

Reactions: flecc

Farf

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2024
If you had hit them then you would likely have been found at fault for not being fully aware and ready to stop. The guy in London who nearly lost his house when he hit a woman sounded his horn/ bell , and the judge said he had plenty of time to stop instead or trying to warn the woman.
In your case the pedestrains would be deemed the vulnerable user whilst your actions may have been considered as inconsiderate.
I would even had that there is plenty of time for you to stop: you are ona ped. Crossing, that was to be expected to see them crossing, and you should have slow down.

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
I think that one takes the cake
I’ve seen plenty of brave / mad motorcyclists filming themselves riding fast between cars etc. endagering only themselves of course.
mad cyclist filming himself trying to run over peds at a zebra crossing ?

I’ve sent it to media, should make the tv soon

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Chains? We don't need no stinking chains.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/24554851.child-illegal-e-bike-drugs-arrested-north-swindon/

Yet another nasty bike with no chain. I bet the brakes aren't up to much either.

The local police keep banging on about stickers, my conversion does not have one, I think I'll have to order one from eBay.

Quoted from the above article:

"An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it must show either the power output or the manufacturer of the motor, and must also show either the the battery’s voltage or the maximum speed of the bike

Its electric motor must have a maximum power output of 250 watts and should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
"

Shame there are appear to be no MXUS stickers but the manufactures name appears to be optional.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
They were in the wrong but you were going too fast. You should have anticipated the movement and been prepared to stop.
Looked to be doing about 8mph and beeped the horn at what looks to be about 50' away.
So I wouldnt say that is anywhere near too fast, and he obviously anticipated because he hit the horn with plenty of stopping room(especially at 8mph)

The other thing is puling any sort of rapid stop due to silly person stepping out or like here effectively playing int he roadway is whats happening behind you.
Worst case is in a car another rear shunts you, but on a bike you get creamed.

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Looked to be doing about 8mph and beeped the horn at what looks to be about 50' away.
So I wouldnt say that is anywhere near too fast, and he obviously anticipated because he hit the horn with plenty of stopping room(especially at 8mph)
You're probably right. However, the cyclist didn't practice good roadcraft, demonstrated by the clue-less and care-free pedestrians having to jump out of the way in every direction, in order to clear themselves from the rider's path.

The other thing is puling any sort of rapid stop due to silly person stepping out or like here effectively playing int he roadway is whats happening behind you.
Worst case is in a car another rear shunts you, but on a bike you get creamed.
The IAM (Institute of Advanced Motoring) advises motorists to brake well before a hazard - in order to reduce speed and slow-down following traffic. I agree a little more difficult whilst cycling with impatient motorists behind you. Fitting a rear-light with inertial activation (stronger display whilst braking) might be handy.

Related Articles

Advertisers