And todays idiots are

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah! Honk em! A little tinkle bell might not have been heard, or reacted to as fast.

She looks like a soft landing, but don't most of them these days? Four of my neighbours are very friendly young single women with pretty faces, but they're all sofa shaped. XXXL to L, no M or S.

Reactions: Saracen

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Sad but not surprising :oops:
I've had a pedestrian on mobile phone step off a footpath without looking and walk in front of me when I was driving a large family car though a town center. The look on her face when I blasted the horn and she looked up to see 1 ton of car heading her way almost made up for the scare she gave me.

Driving in Portugal is even worse, pedestrians at crossings have right of way - hence they have no need to signal they are crossing or to look for traffic. Very different to UK where pedestrians are expected to check it's safe. https://portugaldrivinglaws.com/pedestrians.php

Denmark is similar, if a motorist hits a cyclist at a junction the motorist is at fault regardless of the cyclist behavior .

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Driving in Portugal is even worse, pedestrians at crossings have right of way - hence they have no need to signal they are crossing or to look for traffic. Very different to UK where pedestrians are expected to check it's safe. https://portugaldrivinglaws.com/pedestrians.php

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fwiw im now in the habit of flicking the bell whenever i come up behind anyone where its otherwise quiet, most will signal an acknowledgement, a few remain oblivious requiring a 2nd ding , once the startled rabbit response when i passed even made me take a 2nd look for something i was unaware of..

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Looks like school going-home time. Younglings are concentrating on going home. Your bike is silent, they weren't aware of you.

They were in the wrong but you were going too fast. You should have antipated the movement and been prepared to stop.

Beep your horn at the wrong people and they'll kick you off your bike.

Honestly, give someone, anyone, motorised transport and immediately they're beeping and blowing off at any more vulnerable road user in their path.

Reactions: flecc

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Looks like school going-home time. Younglings are concentrating on going home. Your bike is silent, they weren't aware of you.

They were in the wrong but you were going too fast. You should have antipated the movement and been prepared to stop.

Honestly, give someone, anyone, motorised transport and immediately they're beeping and blowing off at any more vulnerable road user in their path.
Thats why I have kept the inoffensive tho penetrating (on quiet roads/paths) ding of a bell.. I have considered a horn,, even bought a 2a truck horn.. Yep its loud.. and it may still find its way on the bike for emergency hollering.

Only folk i recall showing annoyance at the sound of a bike bell are those who walk their toddlers on 5m+ leads and need to reel them in from the other side of the road/paths.. which was met with my equal annoyance at having to stop while they did so..

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

10 mph TOO FAST ? are you serious

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Snapped this lunatic this afternoon on my car dashcam as I came to the edge of Newcastle.

These two were flying along on a shared pedestrian path with the circus performer probably doing about twenty miles an hour on an electric motorbike - unregistered of course, as is the way with these outlaws.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sad but not surprising :oops:
I've had a pedestrian on mobile phone step off a footpath without looking and walk in front of me when I was driving a large family car though a town center. The look on her face when I blasted the horn and she looked up to see 1 ton of car heading her way almost made up for the scare she gave me.

Denmark is similar, if a motorist hits a cyclist at a junction the motorist is at fault regardless of the cyclist behavior .
UK highway code has changed , vulnerable road users (that includes pedestrians etc on footpaths have right of way at crossing points/junctions whether light controlled or not.
Some one needs to get real with today and know the rules of the road.

I have had many an encounter with road killers who simply ignore the new rules and given them a piece of my mind.
I have a pair of the d8veh's vid specs now so can use them and send in bad driving reoports to plod now.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you had hit them then you would likely have been found at fault for not being fully aware and ready to stop. The guy in London who nearly lost his house when he hit a woman sounded his horn/ bell , and the judge said he had plenty of time to stop instead or trying to warn the woman.
In your case the pedestrains would be deemed the vulnerable user whilst your actions may have been considered as inconsiderate.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Before I situated the small blister switch for my Hornitt 135db onto my left handbar grip, so that my left index finger rests on it at all times, I had to make sure to avoid colliding with these crazy walkers first and sound the horn afterwards, if there wasn't much time and I had to decide how to react. Now, I can apply the brakes and sound the horn at the same time. Previously I would swerve or brake first, then sound the horn, because I realised sounding the horn doesn't guarantee avoiding a collision. Irritating that I had to unlearn sounding the horn first, because I'd just bought a new Hornitt 125db/135db to blast at numbskulls. They're wandering and weaving all over the place after pub closing time. Setting my 6000LM headlights flashing usually alerts them if I notice them on or near the road from a distance, all gentle like.

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Responding to the comments above, I'm familiar with the updated highway code but I see no mention that pedestrians and cyclists are excused from looking around for traffic when stepping off a pavement onto a road.
The new rules for vulnerable road users specifically mention at crossings.

The latest link I can find is below, see rules for pedestrians rule 7: "Green cross code" try not to cross between parked cars - stop - look - listen - wait for traffic or pass etc.

If anyone has a link saying it's now acceptable for pedestrians to - without looking - step off a pavement (not at a junction) in front of cars driving on the road, just add a link and I'll read it :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If anyone has a link saying it's now acceptable for pedestrians to - without looking - step off a pavement (not at a junction) in front of cars driving on the road, just add a link and I'll read it :)
It is, that is the law.

The UK does not have a *jay walking" law, pedestrians can cross the road wherever they wish to. It is always and has always been, the responsibility of a vehicle user to stop for them without a collision. That is why cyclist Charlie Alliston was sent to prison for 18 months when he thought the pedestrian he killed was at fault. Even though she dodged the wrong way, in part causing the collision when he shouted a warning, she wasn't. A pedestrian crossing the road is never legally at fault.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wish it was like that here in the UK, we cyclists crush easier and flatter than motorists. As flat as crushed pedestrians in many cases I imagine. Perhaps a bit more ridged because of broken bike frames poking out through the flattened flesh either side. Carbon frames will probably shatter and crush down flatter, making us easier to scrape off the road with shovels... thus cyclists crushed into street pizza would be more of cohesive pancake shape, which would be more convenient for emergency services to roll like tacos, for easier packaging/body bag insertion. A crêpe experience for all concerned.

Last edited:

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
10 mph TOO FAST ? are you serious
If two people walk into each other @ say 2.5 mph - they'll just bounce off each other and remain standing, no harm done, sorries all round.

If two people run into each other @ say 5 mph - they'll bounce off each other and probably fall over and get bruised. Ouch. Footballers.

If I cycle into a pedestrian @ say 10 mph - and they're little (say 50 kg to my 100 kg) - they'll be hurled through the air and get hurt on landing. Worse - the impact might buckle my front wheel.

Sometimes it is better to get off the bicycle and wheel it along rather than risking a collision at any speed with obstacles, children, dogs, old people, etc, etc.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That's exactly what happened to the guy in London with one small difference. The people were crossing when they shouldn't, so the cyclist sounded his loud horn, which stopped the new people from crossing and left a gap as the stragglers already on the road, ran to the other side, then a female panicked and tried to run back. He hit her and injured her arm. The judge said that he knew she was there because he sounded his horn, so he should have stopped until it was clear. The only difference was that the female ran back, which we know often happens, especially if their child or partner is left behind. You were very lucky. The other guy was ordered to pay a massive amount, like around £100k IIRC. Are you insured?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I accidentally whacked someone very hard on the leg with a heavy Canon inkjet printer on the bus the other week, thought I was going to get sued, my picture was snapped surreptitiously but they didn't ask for my details. Wasn't my fault, that leg was sticking out into the isle. I apologised profusely, and suggested they apply an icepack or bag of frozen peas ASAP. This led to a conversation during which I was shown video of a man being kicked into unconsciousness in the the city center, recorded shorty before this person with the newly injured leg boarded the bus.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I gave you the link above, but I will copy/paste relevant fragment for your convenience.

The updated code clarifies that:

• when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way
  • if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way
  • people driving, riding a motorcycle or cycling must give way to people on a zebra crossing and people walking and cycling on a parallel crossing
Of course nobody ever will advice you to cross the road with eyes closed, but you still can do that and die under truck knowing it was drivers fault.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and saneagle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you ask your friends, neighbours and family, you will find that hardly any will know about the changes to the highway code that put an obligation on road users to give way to pedestrians not only crossing at junctions, but also waiting to cross.

Related Articles

Advertisers