All this knowledge.

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
I am amazed how much you guys know about e.bikes and electrics etc.perhaps it might be an idea to put all this knowledge to good use and for someone to start up a business repairing e.bikes,just a couple in each county would be a start,it would not cost much to set up if a garage or large shed were used,just an idea chaps.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
No money in it.

Once money starts changing hands for services rendered then you start getting intto public liability insurance, vat registration etc.

I earn 3x as a Software Engineer than I did as a cytech l2 mechaninc.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have been intrigued by the idea. I went into a local bike shop and they told me, 'Don't bring an electric bike here, we don't understand them'
I thought that this was a bit short sighted on their part, there are plenty of electricians about and an enterprising bike shop owner could easily ask an electrician to call part time. Bear in mind, most troubles will be ordinary bicycle problems, not electric.
As far as the electric side of things go, it is mainly a matter of diagnosis, but good workshop manuals are not really available. But when you think about it, the electric side is a motor, a controller, throttle, pedelec system and battery.If the normal electrical readings were available, diagnosis would be quick. Whilst most on here would set out to repair these components, a commercial operation at LBS level would probably just replace defective components in the same way that motor mechanics do.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
No money in it.
Indeed! And of course once you mention a realistic overhead rate - say £50 per hour - people think you're taking the p**s......

It's the same all over the world - I was recently displaying my electrical talents in Ghana by fixing a problem with the electronics on a truck as a favour for someone - and I got offered a job on the spot by the Ghanaian who was running the business. Credit due to the one making the offer, he withdrew it before my chin hit the floor because he realized right away that doing it for nothing as a favour was not much different to what I might expect to get paid for doing it professionally!

Rog.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
One of the problems with starting such a business would be the wide range of bike brands . Then there is the problem of spares availability . If spares have to come from , say, China, it would take too long to make the customer happy. It would not make economic sense to stock a wide range of spares, because much of your stock would be obsolete before you used it. What would be very useful, would be a "Heinz Manual" on ebike repair . There could be separate chapters on batteries, motors, and controllers , and wiring. Also a chapter on test gear and how to use it , giving test procedures for all components . There could be brief chapters on common individual makes and models, and their differences . Probably much of the information could be gleaned from the forum. It would never make the best seller list, but would find a market amongst ebike owners, and bike mechanics.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
That would have to be a labour of love too, I'm afraid - as you say, it wouldn't make the best seller list, and probably wouldn't even cover the publication costs.

Looking more positively, of course all that knowledge is readily available to anyone who wants to find it - either on here, Endless Sphere, Flecc's general knowledge pages - etc. A manual won't ever teach you how to make best use of that knowledge though - you still have to be reasonably competent as an engineer before you can even make a start. That might well be the most difficult part for the average ebike owner - indeed ANY bike owner - I was amazed to find how few people can even get a tyre on or off. Certainly if you're my age you'll have learned that particular skill half a century ago - but many younger riders would never think of fixing a puncture themselves.

Rog.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
but many younger riders would never think of fixing a puncture themselves.
Sigh.... I think to a certain extent we(I) should take the blame for that as we mollycoddle our kids too much. Only yesterday my teacher daughter (she marries and moves out in August) got in on her bike and said "dad the gear changer is broken". I dutifully take it to the workshop and fix it for her. I have even sorted out a bike for her future husband and I am not sure he can fix a puncture either.

Then again I enjoy and consider it my role to keep all our bikes on the road :p

PS there is no way I would consider it for paid employment, certainly not for ebikes anyway though I have done one or two conversions for friends etc.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Sigh.... I think to a certain extent we(I) should take the blame for that as we mollycoddle our kids too much. Only yesterday my teacher daughter (she marries and moves out in August) got in on her bike and said "dad the gear changer is broken". I dutifully take it to the workshop and fix it for her. I have even sorted out a bike for her future husband and I am not sure he can fix a punture either.

Then again I enjoy and consider it my role to keep all our bikes on the road :p

PS there is no way I would consider it for paid employment, certainly not for ebikes anyway though I have done one or two conversions for friends etc.

Regards

Jerry
My son, who is 5, fixed a puncture (with a patch, not just a tube) all on his own on Saturday. All I did was check the nuts were tight and the brakes worked after he'd finished.

He regulary helps me with maintainence on my cars and especially the Westfield. He can tell me where the oil and coolant goes in the Westfield and what purpose they serve (plus he's got tiny hands that come in really useful sometimes!).

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have Wisper near me and they are brilliant. Then there is "bicycle repair man" in Bromley he is also very useful on e bikes. and I understand that there is a shop in Croydon that Flecc mentioned that also undertakes E bike repairs, so reasonably well supported locally.

As for the German bike they dont break down do they?:confused: :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are quite a few bike shops who will handle the bike side of e-bikes, the problem comes with the electrical side which almost none will touch at all.

The main objection to setting up is the very small number of e-bikes on the road, scattered very thinly across the country. The diverse spares and lack of availability mentioned is also a big problem. And as others have mentioned, a realistic labour cost and spares would be unacceptable to many e-bike owners. For example 2 hours at £50 or more, plus the spares cost and all plus VAT, on a Cyclamatic costing new £315 in some cases! Even on dearer bikes charges of over £100 would cause owners to wince and not return.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
In spite of what has been said , I sill think there is a case for the "Heinz Manual" . It need cost nothing to publish, as it could take the form of an ebook. It is true that the book alone would be of little use . However, there are plenty of guys around who can fix a normal bike, and these are the guys who would be inclined to read the book . It would also be a useful resource for the small back street bike shop owner who wanted to diversify a bit. Give instuction to a wise man, and he will become yet wiser.As ebikes become more common , there will be more guys around who can fix them. I started a successful business repairing washing machines . I started by buying a book, and some scrap washing machines to practice on. I had a good business and a good reputation until ill health forced retirement.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I just Googled "Haynes Manual" [correct spelling this time]. It is not all cars and motorcycles you know . Among other things they do washing machine repair, as I already knew, a Survival Guide Manual, and workshop manuals on the Spitfire, and the Space Shuttle! Sadly no Elecric Bike Repair Manual yet. But maybe it would be in greater demand than the Spitfire Manual.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A manual would certainly be useful to a very few, but my experience is that people are basically lazy and take the easiest route. In this instance it's asking in a forum like this one.

An apt comparison is with FAQs which are rarely used on websites as site owners know only too well. People don't bother to look up their problem, they just ask the question instead.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I was brought up by my mum only so had to learn the hard way. Trial and error no internet. Wouldn't change it though.

My lad is a vehicle technician now and although I hate it he shows me some things. Did teach him about bikes though

Last edited:

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I usually end up fixing ebikes or componants parts for others because i like doing so. It's another hobby for me and i like ebikes. I never charge people, but always get offered some reward for my time, cash or a bottle of plonk. I'll never get rich from it but i get satisfaction from making a dead componant work again. (Usually Tongxin Hubs lol).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
One or two of our dealers now do charge £50.00 per hour and one in particular is inundated with service work. These guys are experts, can normally do in an hour what other shops would take two or three over and are paid accordingly. Interestingly they do a lot of work on electric bikes sold over the internet due to the lack of support available from those particular suppliers.

We strongly believe electric bikes need regular servicing by local experts, ebikes are not cheap and if the owner is not proficient in electronics and bicycle mechanics, the only way to make certain bikes stay in tip top condition is to book them into a local dealer at least once a year for a full service.

We are putting a lot of resources into dealer training and now have a full time technical training manager who covers UK. We were a little nervous of making the commitment but he has not stopped since we took him on and is booked out for weeks to come. A sure sign that the market is maturing well.

All the best

David

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I usually end up fixing ebikes or componants parts for others because i like doing so. It's another hobby for me and i like ebikes. I never charge people, but always get offered some reward for my time, cash or a bottle of plonk. I'll never get rich from it but i get satisfaction from making a dead componant work again. (Usually Tongxin Hubs lol).
So do you fix the broken rings, have parts etc ?

I have tended to have a few spare Tongxins for backup but have not yet had one fail (fingers crossed) ?

I can disassemble them and had to when I first got a couple and they were for the roller brake fitting. Had to modify the case and shorten one of the motor shafts. Not had or tried to fix a broken ring yet though :(

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Jerry
I have fixed some motors with broken rings. I initially bought a couple of Tongxins from a pedelecs member JohnP. He's very local to me. We both had initial problems some of the motors (not all broken rings) it was various different faults and he had a few returned ones. John already had broken tongxins so i rebuilt a few cannabilising defunct ones. I have also bought a couple of dead tongxins for spares.
I think i have a spare ring, but because they are difficult to get hold of, i am reluctant to let it go, in case i need it. My Marin bike is still running a Tongxin after many miles.
It must be possible to get replacement rings although i haven't tried contacting Tongxin. John tried but didn't have any success.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Wurly,

I didn't need any rings I was just wondering if you had ever fixed one. I did a long post on here with pictures from a guy in Australia or New Zealand I forget which. Tongxin sent him a couple of rings and a special tool to fit them.

Tongxin have offered to send me a few spare rings if I need them. As I said I have yet to have a ring fail and have seven Tongxins, three in use, one I build for someone else and three spares :p

Regards

Jerry