Alien Bike Kit

Trakker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hello everyone, I have AS (Ankylosing spondylitis) so suffer with my joints ect ,i'm looking for a way to keep fit but not stress my body too much and an electric bike seems just the job!:D I used to love riding my bike but am now overweight and unfit :rolleyes: :eek: i've been looking at the Alien kit but would like to know if anyone has experience with this and if it's worth the money.:confused:

Alien Electric Bicycle Bike e-bike Conversion Kit on eBay, also, Bikes, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 17-Mar-08 15:02:26 GMT)

All help greatly appreciated!
Trakker

Last edited:

Trakker

Mar 10, 2008
South Yorkshire
Yes it does look rather similar halfmedley,do you know if it's any good?:confused:

Thanks
Trakker

planky

Jan 30, 2008
Hello Trakker,

I have just purchased one of these kits. For a similar reason to you. I came down with an attack of inflammatory arthritis Christmas 2006 and so have not much strength in my ankles, knees, hips, wrists and elbows, but wanted to get back on my bike and get some fitness back.

I wanted to use my current bike due to it's very high quality, familiarity and lack of storage for another bike. I looked at lots of options but decided, as I was unsure if an electric bike was for me, to limit my expenditure. Though there were a few must haves, light weight was one of them.

My favourite money no limit would have been the Bionx.

I initially had a couple of difficulties with the kit the first was that the shape of my forks interfered with the motor, so I had to swap for an older set. The second is that my shifters hit the throttle housing so I have currently have them off-set inboard about 2 cm on the handle bars.

My first ride were a little disappointing as it seemed to stop assisting at about 12 mph, a little below my cruising speed, though it obviously still helped me up the hills!

After talking to Bob at Alienbikes it turned out that mine had two wires connected and this put it into economy mode. After disconnecting it really flies now!

Bob has been very helpful throughout and always saying if I was not happy I should send it back and he would refund me without question.

I am now very happy with this kit and I have cycled thirty miles in two days and for someone that has not been on his bike for just over one year that's not too bad. Don't forget we have some pretty nice hills here on the Isle of Wight.

Last edited:

Trakker

Mar 10, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hello Planky,

Thanyou very much for the info fella it's greatly appreciated!:cool:

Thanks
Trakker

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
After talking to Bob at Alienbikes it turned out that mine had two wires connected and this put it into economy mode. After disconnecting it really flies now!
Hi, I recently bought the Powered Bicycles "Galileo" MTB which also seems to use the same kind of kit (from what I can tell) as the Alien, or at least it uses exactly the same battery and a very similar looking hub motor.

I've also noticed that it only powers me up to about 12mph which is great but I'd like a little more if possible.

You can guess the next question! What/where were the two wires? Any more info would be greatly appreciated for investigative purposes ...

daddyboy

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Hi there

im new to the forum . ive also come across this kit and im thinking of making a purchase.

im completely new to ebikes but need a bike to take me about 15 or so miles a day.

will the motor fit on bikes with quick release wheels?

i have just about100 mm between forks is this okay?

what kind of speeds can you get after the wires have been altered ?

whats the battery life and noise like?

sorry for the barrage of questions lol

planky

Jan 30, 2008
Hi, I recently bought the Powered Bicycles "Galileo" MTB which also seems to use the same kind of kit (from what I can tell) as the Alien, or at least it uses exactly the same battery and a very similar looking hub motor.

I've also noticed that it only powers me up to about 12mph which is great but I'd like a little more if possible.

You can guess the next question! What/where were the two wires? Any more info would be greatly appreciated for investigative purposes ...
You have to excuse the quality (camera phone!) but here is a picture of my controller. The two wires to disconnect are the two blue ones that are coming towards you in the picture.

planky

Jan 30, 2008
Hi there

im new to the forum . ive also come across this kit and im thinking of making a purchase.

im completely new to ebikes but need a bike to take me about 15 or so miles a day.

will the motor fit on bikes with quick release wheels?

i have just about100 mm between forks is this okay?

what kind of speeds can you get after the wires have been altered ?

whats the battery life and noise like?

sorry for the barrage of questions lol
Hello,
My forks had quick release wheels, I had to slightly enlarge the dropouts as the motor shaft is 10.0 mm but it fits ok. The motor is held in with nuts not quick release.
Most forks have a gap of 100 mm, the only problem I had was due to my forks bulging inwards and contacting the motor, see picture in my earlier post.
Mine now happily cruises at 15 mph and I did nearly 10 miles with a couple of reasonable hills in and my battery indicator went down 1 of the 3 bars. It took two hours to fully charge up. They tell me 4.5-5 hours to fully charge from flat, so just under half used. This is obviously only a rough guide as there are lots of factors that can affect range.:)

daddyboy

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2008
thanks planky that really helps.

one other thing, can the motor take a decent hill without any pedaling (motor power only)

thanks

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I dont think you will find any legal motor, that will actually pull you up a decent hill without pedalling,the cheaper electric bikes and kits usually offer far less power,than say an ezee or powabyke,but even these would require reasonable assistance up steeper hills,probably at least halving the effort required on a normal bike,you would be well advised to try an electric bike, before buying a kit or bike.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Planky, I finally got round to checking my controller and it looks like the two blue wires on mine are already cut (see pic), so no extra juice for me, but thanks anyway.

How do you get on with battery life with your Phylion? I went a whole week without charging it and I covered about 40 miles. Although the battery went down to just one light showing, it still hadn't run down completely. Amazing really considering I live in a very hilly area.

Attachments

planky

Jan 30, 2008
Planky, I finally got round to checking my controller and it looks like the two blue wires on mine are already cut (see pic), so no extra juice for me, but thanks anyway.

How do you get on with battery life with your Phylion? I went a whole week without charging it and I covered about 40 miles. Although the battery went down to just one light showing, it still hadn't run down completely. Amazing really considering I live in a very hilly area.
Your controller looks subtly different to mine, perhaps you could ask the seller.

I don't know about absolute battery life as I have fully charged it after every ride!

tcb7416

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2008
I recently installed this kit, and after much ado getting it to fit on a specialized crossroads hybrid, getting the brakes sorted, having a holiday for 2 weeks, 2 punctures to deal with.

Today, I cycled to work, 12 miles that took an hour over fairly bumpy, hilly roads and the battery died on the hour mark....

Currently it has been charging for 2 hours and it would apparently be fully charged again.

I am 6.2, 16 stone - does this tally with anyone elses experiences?

Thanks
tony

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I recently installed this kit, and after much ado getting it to fit on a specialized crossroads hybrid, getting the brakes sorted, having a holiday for 2 weeks, 2 punctures to deal with.

Today, I cycled to work, 12 miles that took an hour over fairly bumpy, hilly roads and the battery died on the hour mark....

Currently it has been charging for 2 hours and it would apparently be fully charged again.

I am 6.2, 16 stone - does this tally with anyone elses experiences?

Thanks
tony
Similar I suppose, I generally get 1 1/2 - 2 hours use on the 36 Volt kit derestriced, pedalling slowly almost constantly with lots of stop/starting and a few moderate hills, I weigh 13.5 stone. This generally gets me 25+ miles.

Its very hard to say though and depends on how much you pedal. I would think that if it took you 1 hour to do 12 miles then the terrain must be much harsher than my route, either that or you aren't pedalling much :)

2 hours to get a full charge from flat seems very fast though. I thought it was meant to take around 4 hours although I've never sat and watched for the green light to come on. Maybe something up with your charger or battery??

Last edited:

tcb7416

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2008
additional

well the battery itself nevers shows as fully charged, just the green light on the transformer.

As for the route and my pedalling - probably a bit of both if I am being honest. although the extra weight of the kit does change the feel of the bike, so I dont feel as comfortable throwing the bike around as much as I would normally.

Tony