Alien Aurora Freewheel Replacement?

D

Deleted member 4366

OOps! I slipped up there. I''ll take one slap on the botty (but not from you).

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Not quite sure what this thread evolved into, perhaps it should be moved to the pedelexxx part of the forum :eek:

I realised a strange thing today. After being forced to use throttle only for a few days now until my freewheel spares arrive, I think that I actually really miss pedalling! The irony is I specifically bought a bike for it's throttle function (to be lazy), but it managed to actually get me to enjoy the true cycling+pedalling+effort part of e-biking which I seemed to have just developed into without realising it... now I think its most handy just to take the edge off the hills rather than turn you into a lazy cyclist. Too deep for me. Must be time for bed...

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Quote "now I think its most handy just to take the edge off the hills rather than turn you into a lazy cyclist".........
That's how I always ride my Aurora, the only way to do it. :)

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Yesterday and today I've battled with my Aurora. All sorts of muck was in and around the gear set. I had to disassemble the motor in order to remove the plate that the freewheel is attached to, then by unplugging the motor wires connectors at the controller I could remove it completely from the bike.

So with the freewheel still attached to the motor plate, I went to Moons Cycles in Ipswich around the corner from me, and they were really helpful, Simon the manager in particular, who spent quite a while trying and successfully freed the freewheel from the plate. It was so tight that he had to screw the plate down into some wood on the workbench in order to use enough torque through the tool to free the freewheel! To top it all off, they wouldn't accept any payment! Rare excellent service and I will no doubt return there for all my future purchases.

I shall be re-assembling everything tomorrow, should I be doing anything while I have it all open:
Grease the motor?
Use any specific oil/lubrication on the new freewheel/gearset?
Clean anything?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a lot easier to get the free-wheel off while it's still attached to the wheel. Once you've removed the side-plate, there's nothing to get hold off to resist the torque of the free-wheel tool. I only mention it in case somebody else tries the same. In your case it all worked out well thanks to Simon that had a bit more nouse and determination than your average bike shop.

If it's done some miles you can add some grease to the gears, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I'm not sure of the best type. I just use whatever I have. I've got some that's specially for gears, but it's in a plain tin so I don't know the spec.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
It's a lot easier to get the free-wheel off while it's still attached to the wheel. Once you've removed the side-plate, there's nothing to get hold off to resist the torque of the free-wheel tool. I only mention it in case somebody else tries the same.
Yes Simon did mention that! I just thought it would be easier to just pop over with the little plate rather than the whole wheel - silly me! I know for next time...

D

Deleted member 4366

I learn't the hard way too. When I dismantled that Q128 the other day, I couldn't get the free-wheel tool over the axle so I removed the plate. Then I realised that it was impossible to get enough torque to loosen it, so I had to remove the motor core and axle, and screw the sideplate back on. It was easy then.

C

Cyclezee

We use MolyKote PG-21 silicone grease for planetary gears.

It is manufactured by Dow Corning.