Alien Aurora Freewheel Replacement?

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Lately the freewheel seems to be failing, had to make it home on the last trip almost completely on throttle alone as the pedalling did not want to lock to turn the wheel it was just freewheeling in both directions. It was doing that only occassionally and for a few seconds in the last few weeks.
Does anyone have any info on the freewheel for the Aurora or any special tools needed to replace it?
I don't really want to dismantle everything and find I cannot complete the job, as I can still use it for now on throttle...
This is a photo from the last time I took it apart it it helps:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These 13 - 34 tooth Megarange freewheels have been difficult to source, but I see Evans are advertising one on this link.

To change it follow the details on this link. This was written for a cassette, but the procedure is the same, only a freewheel removal tool is necessary, not a cassette one. They are very slightly different. Here's a low cost one.

There's several chain wrench/chain whip tools on this link.

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
The end of the removal tool might not fit over the cable.. so may have to be opened up.

Can be done by drilling (slowly and with lube) but easiest on a lathe

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True Dave, though I managed on a Shimano one with a drill and some brutality!

Another problem is that on some bike's connectors in the wiring, the removal tool cannot pass over them, meaning the connector has to be removed from the cable.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't replace the free-wheel set with the same type. Use the oportunity to get an 11T top gear one. normally. I'd say get it from Cyclezee, but, as you need the tool as well, it might be better to get both from here:
Shop (english)
you should get some of those tools to sell.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Thanks for all the replies...
I think that, based on price, and the fact that I do struggle to keep up with the throttle that perhaps an 11T replacement is a good idea.
Flecc, thanks for the instruction page - explains a lot that I wasn't sure about.
Regarding the removal tool, when you say "open it up", is that through the centre or offset like with a lambda/O2 removal socket (this link is just an example)?

C

Cyclezee

Don't replace the free-wheel set with the same type. Use the oportunity to get an 11T top gear one. normally. I'd say get it from Cyclezee, but, as you need the tool as well, it might be better to get both from here:
Shop (english)
you should get some of those tools to sell.
Hi Dave,

We have couple of extra long Freewheel removal tools for our own use, but they would be no good for this scenario where the cable comes through the the Freewheel.

To date we have never been asked for one, probably because they are rarely needed. We could offer them for hire if requested as someone might only need to use it once in a blue moon.

D

Deleted member 4366

The question about where to get a tool has come up several times with often unsatisfactory answers - the same as where to get an 11T free-wheel until you started stocking them.It would be nice to be able to point people in your direction for the tool when they need a new free-wheel because that's always going to be the next logical question: How do I get the old one off?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out, however we normally supply to people who haven't already got a kit or Freewheel to start with so a removal tool is not required.

I will put them on my shopping list.

Regards,

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
@GSol
The normal method is to open up the tool in the centre if required, however the tool you linked to ( with the side opened up) is possibly a better method.

However slotting the side may weaken the tool and cause it to collapse under extreme pressure ... But if I was going to do it then I'd risk it as it saves worrying about the cable / connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Regarding the removal tool, when you say "open it up", is that through the centre or offset like with a lambda/O2 removal socket (this link is just an example)?
The hole in the end of the tool is for a 10 mm spindle, so doesn't fit over many motor's 12 mm spindles, hence drilling it out. The alternative of slotting the tool along one side to allow it to pass over the cable is very attractive since it solves the problem of passing over the cable and connectors. However, these freewheel removal tools are very hard metal so not easily sawn. Probably grinding a slot with a thin grindstone or metal cutting disc would be more effective.

Once passed over the cable and engaged with the freewheel, a metal sliver could be inserted into the cut slot to prevent it collapsing inward under freewheel removal pressure.

Last edited:

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I took my Alien Aurora freewheel off just 3 days ago with the standard tool that I got from Winstanleys Cycles in Wigan, just 2 miles from me, no problem whatsoever just like doing it on a non electric back wheel. I had a screw fall out inside the motor, made a noise like a football rattle so I had to remove the free wheel to strip down the motor.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

It's not about the diameter, the standard removers are fine for 7 speed, but not long enough for 8 and 9 speed.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
we normally supply to people who haven't already got a kit or Freewheel to start with so a removal tool is not required.
Hi John, so if I want to purchase the 7 speed 11-32t freewheel from you, does that mean I don't need the freewheel removal tool as it comes with the gear-set? I am a bit confused about what is necessary for me to replace my faulty freewheel and gear set with the one you are selling? Thanks...

C

Cyclezee

Hi GSol,

Just to clarify we don't supply a removal tool with new Freewheels that we supply for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

You would need to find a way of removing the existing one first

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Hi GSol,

Just to clarify we don't supply a removal tool with new Freewheels that we supply for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

You would need to find a way of removing the existing one first
Thanks, but I think I may have worded my questions wrong...

Do your gearsets come with the freewheel or do I need to buy a separate one?

and do I need the (freewheel) tool to fit it? i.e. is it just hand tightened or fitted like an oil filter on a car that only needs a removal tool and not a tightening one?

I was thinking of getting it removed at a bike shop, but would I have to get them to install the new one as well? Or should I buy the tool?

C

Cyclezee

Hi again GSol,

If you buy a 7 speed Freewheel from us, this is what you get

dnp-epoch-freewheel-7spd-11-28-nickel-plated.jpg

You don't need a tool to fit it, it only needs to be hand tight. When you fit a new one, just be carefull not to cross thread it.

A bike shop might be able to help with removal of the old one.

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Hi again GSol,

If you buy a 7 speed Freewheel from us, this is what you get

View attachment 4327

You don't need a tool to fit it, it only needs to be hand tight. When you fit a new one, just be carefull not to cross thread it.

A bike shop might be able to help with removal of the old one.
Thanks for all the assistance, have sent you an email via your sales email on your website.

D

Deleted member 4366

We've gone full circle again, so I'll try and simplify it.

First, you have to get the old free-wheel off the motor. By freewheel, we mean the gear assembly in the photo above. To get that off, you need a free-wheel removal tool.

There's lots of different types of this tool. Most won't fit your motor, but some will. The trouble is, it's difficult to be certain that any tool will fit.

The one that I indicated in the german shop above definitely fits. It's a special e-bike one and I have one, so I know it works.

You want to buy a 11T free-wheel too, so you have three choices where to get it from: The German shop, Cyclezee, Ebike.ca in USA.

To me it makes sence to get the tool and the free-wheel from the German shop like I did, so that you have a simple certain solution.

There may be other ways of solving your problem where you might be able to save a couple of quid, but already you've lost a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator: