advice please!

a1chalky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2008
Hi

I have around £500-£700 pounds to spend on an electric bike which i will use to commute to work(which is a 10 mile round trip with some short steep hills)

any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Adam

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, buy the dealer/reseller. Many bikes at this price point are going to be more or less the same in terms of what you get...it's the after sales that makes the difference...look towards Kudos, Alien, Juicy etc.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Adam
Where in the country are you? We should be able to point you towards a good local dealer who has a range of bikes to let you try. The good thing about going off for a decent ride is that you won't have to listen to the dealer browbeat you! I hope you get to try a Juicy, but the only bikes we have in your price range are ex-demos, available only from our workshop in Derbyshire. We have 3 or 4 available at present.

You may also want to consider a conversion kit, widely available from advertisers on these forums: Cyclezee, Xipi, 8Fun, Alien, DaHub from Wisper (and our own kit of course).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Checkout Woosh bikes. I visited them last week and was pleasantly surprised. It's run by very nice people that care about quality. The Sirroco is a nice bike - all good standard parts, which makes repair/replacement easy in the future if you ever need anything (which I doubt you will). They also can support via this forum.
The Sirocco | Electric Bikes from Woosh | electric bike sales & hire
The one you pointed out looks OK, if that's what you want - nice and light but no gears or suspension and pretty small battery. That's how they get the weight down.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd say no because it's single speed, no gears for you to assist with up those steep hills you mentioned.

Even though you said they are short hills, an e-bike motor is primarily assistance and won't climb unaided. You need to do your bit when climbing, so having at least some lower gears is important.

N.B. Crossed with d8veh's post.

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
If you can cope with the idea of a step-through then ask Chevron if the Technium she was advertising recently in the Classifieds for £600 has been sold. That's a very good quality bike which is probably £1,500 worth of value at today's new prices. I went down the £700 new bike route (which I enjoyed as a first electric bike) but when I first got on a Technium I was shocked how much better it was to ride, including getting up some serious hills in Derbyshire.