a2b obree

hburtonr

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Hi guys/gals,
i have just purchased an A2B Obree, it is a non runner, the battery seems to charge and has 5 red lights when switched on but the display does not switch on, after looking deeper inside the hub, i found a traloc power dc-dc transformer with a couple of pins broke, would this stop the bike from firing up ? i think it may be for the lights ? where is the controller board located ? going to try and work backwards to determine the fault. Also when i check the output from the battery from the 2 pins, it is only showing 8v
TIA
richard

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I hope you didn't pay much for it. The controller is inside the hub, and it'spotted. The main components are locked by comms, so repairs are virtually impossible. Most people remove the controller and other parts, then run with standard Chinese ones. The battery won't give power until it's done it's handshaking with the controller through the comms. If you want to use it with standard stuff, you'll probably need to change the BMS.

If you're lucky, you might find a broken wire or dirty connector. You can test the MOSFETs in the controller, but that's about it for testing without access to the software that can read the comms.

hburtonr

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2024
I hope you didn't pay much for it. The controller is inside the hub, and it'spotted. The main components are locked by comms, so repairs are virtually impossible. Most people remove the controller and other parts, then run with standard Chinese ones. The battery won't give power until it's done it's handshaking with the controller through the comms. If you want to use it with standard stuff, you'll probably need to change the BMS.

If you're lucky, you might find a broken wire or dirty connector. You can test the MOSFETs in the controller, but that's about it for testing without access to the software that can read the comms.
Hiya buddy,
i took the battery apart and tested the voltage it is kicking out 41.9v going into which i presume is the BMS and 7.6v coming out of the BMS. i couldn't find anything else inside the hub only the dc-dc transformer and a 2 part plug which then goes to the motor
cheers
". If you want to use it with standard stuff, you'll probably need to change the BMS. " is this easy enough to do ? a standard BMS ?
cheers

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
It will be a bit of work to convert your motor so it can be used with a standard external controller.

The motor needs to be completely rewired and I think it uses optical sensors instead of hall sensors, so if you do decide to convert it you may be better off running it sensorless.

And a standard BMS will be needed so you can get rid of the canbus interface.

Maybe best to stick it on eBay as a non runner and buy an Argos bike if any are still available.

Last edited:

hburtonr

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2024
It will be a bit of work to convert your motor so it can be used with a standard external controller.

The motor needs to be completely rewired and I think it uses optical sensors instead of hall sensors, so if you do decide to convert it you may be better off running it sensorless.

And a standard BMS will be needed so you can get rid of the canbus interface.

Maybe best to stick it on eBay as a non runner and buy an Argos bike if any are still available.
Thanks for the reply, just looked at the little electric bikes from argos, £180 but the reviews are really bad, what if i put a different motor on with a standard controller ? would that work ?
cheers

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the reply, just looked at the little electric bikes from argos, £180 but the reviews are really bad, what if i put a different motor on with a standard controller ? would that work ?
cheers
You don't need a different motor. They're 24v, so a bit low on power. You get a 36v rack battery for about £250 and a KT controller kit for £80, which would give an excellent ride and sensible power. It would easily hold 15 mph. The KT controllers are 24v/36v dual voltage, so you can get just the controller first, then upgrade the battery when you're ready.

Can you give me some links to bad reviews? What did they think was bad. It's a standard Chinese bike with the same stuff as most of the others.

I bought the £360 E-Plus. It's a very good bike. I couldn't find anything not to like about it except one minor easy to fix assembly issue. If I kept it, I'd change the controller to a KT one for current control. Other than that it's perfect.

hburtonr

Just Joined
Aug 10, 2024
You don't need a different motor. They're 24v, so a bit low on power. You get a 36v rack battery for about £250 and a KT controller kit for £80, which would give an excellent ride and sensible power. It would easily hold 15 mph. The KT controllers are 24v/36v dual voltage, so you can get just the controller first, then upgrade the battery when you're ready.

Can you give me some links to bad reviews? What did they think was bad. It's a standard Chinese bike with the same stuff as most of the others.

I bought the £360 E-Plus. It's a very good bike. I couldn't find anything not to like about it except one minor easy to fix assembly issue. If I kept it, I'd change the controller to a KT one for current control. Other than that it's perfect.
Hi, thanks for the reply, i meant a new motor on my bike not the argos one. it was the e plus 20" wheel bike, the reviews weren't good regarding battery life, tyres ill fitting, innertubes getting splits in them, bad assembly regarding brakes, on the argos website buddy

franksmissing

Just Joined
Aug 3, 2024

I once bought a Chinese electric bike, inexpensive! And then I constantly repaired it(((

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
A2B bikes were expensive and German designed. They went out of business when the cheap Chinese bikes flooded the market.

The same thing happened to Bionx who made the Smart bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I once bought a Chinese electric bike, inexpensive! And then I constantly repaired it(((
Really! I've had loads of them and never had any issues to speak of. They all went on for thousands of miles. One had wheel bearings a bit tight when it arrived, but that was fixed in seconds. I can't think of anything there is to go wrong with them. What exact problems did you get?

I've only ever dealt with one A2B. It was a Metro. The guy bought it new in a sale in a shop in the town centre, but they gave him the wrong battery. For whatever reason, they'd nicked a smaller battery off another A2B bike. It couldn't give enough power, so It kept cutting out. I rang A2B to see if they could help, but they wouldn't because they said the seller was not an authorised one. They only offered to sell a replacement battery at full price, which was some ridiculous amount. The case is the same for both size batteries, and the difference was an eaxtra row of cells down the middle, so I added the row of cells for him, then the bike worked perfectly and he went away happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951