a revolting human cannonball

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
My other/better half returned from the Unda Da Pound shop with a brand new shiny black human canonball type helmet which she insists I wear whilst out on my bicycle. But whatever her motives may be, I just look silly(sillier?) in her headgear of choice and anyway do not feel the need for it at 36volts trundling along at 15mph, derestricted!
The only solution to this conflict that I can see would be to introduce an element of risk, up the voltage to 48 andride faster . However I still have a good 36v 10a/h battery and with the cost of the new helmet and all, can only afford a 48v 10a/h which may not have the range of the 36v one. Is it possible install a 48v controller and then swap from 48v to 36v(battery) as and when the situation dictates? Will the controller need altered/reprogrammed each time I revolt?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
With regard to the helmet.
I wrote on here saying that there was no need for helmets, ridden bikes all my life etc.
Following day, my phone rang, it was my son in law, he had just come of his bike. Got to him, he had 3 inch gash along the side of his head besides other injuries. Hospital....stitches...off work etc,
make you own mind up.

D

Deleted member 4366

You most likely don't need a new controller, just use the 36v one, but check that your 48v battery has low voltage control in its battery management system BMS).

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ok depending on your controller combination you may be able to just add the 48v battery.

What you will need to do is first locate the controller. Then to open it up to look at the Mosfets and the capacitors and look at what ratings they have on them. They are usually written on. Or if the model is written on them a quick google search should surfice.

Most controllers are fitted with a 63v max. So you may be able to just add the battery. This will increase nominal speed with upping to 48v.
It should not affect range to much so long as your not hammering the assist so much.

As the 48v 10ah battery actually has more watts (48v x 10ah = 480watts vs 36v x 10ah = 360watts)
So you actually have more pwoer to start with.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Hech

You might look like a revolting human cannonball But if the worse happens and you collide with something you wont end up a BRAIN DEAD revolting human cannonball

She must LOVE you very much

Frank

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I think what you need to do is prove to her that you couldn't possibly be hurt at such low speeds. So I suggest you run really fast (that may still be under 15 mph though) without a helmet on into a brick wall, or maybe just jump head first off a garden wall onto a kerbstone.

When you get back up totally unscathed she'll soon see the uselessness of her purchase.

(Apologies for above - it is after all a personal choice but I've been reminded about the fragility of the human head as I am sporting a 3 inch scar on my forehead since April after I tripped over the dog!)

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
ok thats great I thought it had to be either a 36v combo or a 48v(battery and controller). So I can mount the new battery on the stock 36v battery with a switch between using the same controller(which accepts upto 60v). Perfect!
And thanks for the kind and touching concern regarding the shape and condition of head. It maybe irregular and odd looking but its my only one!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I personally don't wear a helmet, but what should I think of anyone who feels it's necessary but uses one from an "under a pound" shop?

There seems to be a mixed message in that!

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
Helmets are like insurance (and Umbrellas) all the time you have it ( or them) bad things don't happen,

Dont have one, you can bet bottom dollar that it would have been wiser to have it (them)

Simples.

!Sucking squeak noise !

Rgds

Blo@@dy meercats get everywhere !

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I started wearing a helmet as I became fed up with motorists constantly shouting at me to "put a ****ing helmet on"; truly, their concern was touching, so what could I do. Since I have become helmeted, not one motorist has raised his voice in my direction. So, although I'm not convinced the helmet will do much good if I come off the bike, it's worth wearing one just to keep the drivers quiet.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Perhaps the fact that drivers see you not wearing a helmet and take enough notice to shout at you is a good thing.

Once you are wearing one they won't notice and will drive close to you thinking if I knock him off his bike he will be fine, because he is wearing a helmet :p

(lights the blue touch paper).

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I started wearing a helmet as I became fed up with motorists constantly shouting at me to "put a ****ing helmet on"
What a weird experience, where on earth is that? In all my cycling years I've never worn a helmet and never heard that yelled out by anyone, let alone drivers.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
What a weird experience, where on earth is that? In all my cycling years I've never worn a helmet and never heard that yelled out by anyone, let alone drivers.
Had the same on the rare occasions I wasn't wearing a helmet. Wasn't motorists though but people walking past.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Reminds me of the time I was cycling through North Harrow with a mate, when some girls shouted out, "where's yer 'elmets?" In unison we both shouted "Ooooh!" in mock-shock. Much laughter ensued :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks 12xu22, that accounts for it. I'm at the other end of the country, cycling in the Croydon, South London and North Surrey areas.

I guess our Croydonians are too busy burning shops to bother with cyclists, and the preferred headwear on our looting BMXers is a hoodie. :rolleyes:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of wearing a helmet, if my wife tried to "make" me wear a helmet if I didn't want to (which I don't btw), she'd soon be an ex-wife!