625w battery upgrade

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You need to say why you need anything special. Otherwise, take it out, buy a new one, charge it and put it in.
(and dispose of the old one properly)

You can't use any 'generic' batteries or batteries by other makers; there's communication between the battery and the controller/motor.
You may be able to get the old one recelled. I think TorquyCycles or some such name in Torquay.

Merlin have good deals on some Bosch batteries.
I don't know if what you need is there.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
his no is in my sig but last time i spoke to him the down tube batts could not be recelled as to how they are made.

Reactions: bikermouse

bikermouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2024
You need to say why you need anything special. Otherwise, take it out, buy a new one, charge it and put it in.
(and dispose of the old one properly)

You can't use any 'generic' batteries or batteries by other makers; there's communication between the battery and the controller/motor.
You may be able to get the old one recelled. I think TorquyCycles or some such name in Torquay.

Merlin have good deals on some Bosch batteries.
I don't know if what you need is there.
How is a 500w battery an upgrade on 625w?

bikermouse

Apr 30, 2024
his no is in my sig but last time i spoke to him the down tube batts could not be recelled as to how they are made.
So I would have to get a complete battery say 750w for example and swop it for my 625w?

Can I run twin batteries?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So I would have to get a complete battery say 750w for example and swop it for my 625w?

Can I run twin batteries?
You can use any battery you want of the same voltage if you're prepared to do a bit of DIY. The Bosch system will only work when a Bosch battery is present and active. There's nothing to stop you adding a parallel connector to the two main battery wires, then plug in any other standard 10s li-ion battery (not LiFePo4). The two batteries need to be at approximately the same voltage when you connect the parallel one. Some people add blocking diodes in case of mistakes, though they're not strictly necessary. You can find several examples of people doing this mod on YouTube and other forums.

Also, there is a special and relatively expensive Bosch harness for that purpose, but it only works with Bosch batteries.

If you do any modifications, pay attention to the safe routing of wires and the security of the additional battery. Many of the ebike fires are apparently caused by modifications. I can imagine a lot of difficult questions for you if things went wrong.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
How is a 500w battery an upgrade on 625w?
The link was for the 500 battery (which I had bought) and was just to get you to the right site as I didn't know what battery type you had. Also, I must admit I misinterpreted the 'upgrade' in your post#1.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
You can use any battery you want of the same voltage if you're prepared to do a bit of DIY. The Bosch system will only work when a Bosch battery is present and active. There's nothing to stop you adding a parallel connector to the two main battery wires, then plug in any other standard 10s li-ion battery (not LiFePo4). The two batteries need to be at approximately the same voltage when you connect the parallel one. Some people add blocking diodes in case of mistakes, though they're not strictly necessary. You can find several examples of people doing this mod on YouTube and other forums.

Also, there is a special and relatively expensive Bosch harness for that purpose, but it only works with Bosch batteries.

If you do any modifications, pay attention to the safe routing of wires and the security of the additional battery. Many of the ebike fires are apparently caused by modifications. I can imagine a lot of difficult questions for you if things went wrong.
Some of the 625wh batteries are compatible in a dual system, but apparently some are not.

In the merlin sale they've one 625wh reduced to £425(BBP201) but in the descript it says it cant be used in parallel, and they have another not in the sale but the same powertube 625(BBP290)which is full price at £725, which i think says it can.

This was news to me, as i thought any of the vertical powerbank 625wh batteries was a case of a simple swop over.
That said, my bike is configured to run as a dual, so if i buy the non dual 291, i might find that it isnt going to run and i can only fit a battery that can run dual. It might though just be a case of the shop can change that setting, but currently i dont know.

Now I have the bosch powerbank 625wh vertical, and i can friggin guess which one im going to have. Fate will determine its not the cheap one lol

So i think at least the OP should check the numbers on his battery to see if it has dual capacity or not, before buying anything.

Last edited:

bikermouse

Apr 30, 2024
Some of the 625wh batteries are compatible in a dual system, but apparently some are not.

In the merlin sale they've one 625wh reduced to £425(BBP201) but in the descript it says it cant be used in parallel, and they have another not in the sale but the same powertube 625(BBP290)which is full price at £725, which i think says it can.

This was news to me, as i thought any of the vertical powerbank 625wh batteries was a case of a simple swop over.
That said, my bike is configured to run as a dual, so if i buy the non dual 291, i might find that it isnt going to run and i can only fit a battery that can run dual. It might though just be a case of the shop can change that setting, but currently i dont know.

Now I have the bosch powerbank 625wh vertical, and i can friggin guess which one im going to have. Fate will determine its not the cheap one lol

So i think at least the OP should check the numbers on his battery to see if it has dual capacity or not, before buying anything.
Oh right

archieleach170

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2024
Hi I have a cube reaction 500 one hybrid and I need to change the lock as it’s broke.. I bought an axa lock but the key wasn’t long enough. Does anyone know the best place or shop to fit one

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi I have a cube reaction 500 one hybrid and I need to change the lock as it’s broke.. I bought an axa lock but the key wasn’t long enough. Does anyone know the best place or shop to fit one
Start a new thread. Explain what's broken about the lock, or, better still, show some photos.

Related Articles

Advertisers