48v battery, which to buy?

Sparkomatic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2023
I'm currently looking for a 48v battery to go with a ToSeven 500w mid drive kit.

First & foremost I'm looking for a high quality, well made battery. I'd love an em3ev battery from Eclipse Bikes but they've been out of stock for ages. Ebikebatteries(.co.uk) have sadly had to stop trading.

I'm currently looking at GreenCell or Dillinger batteries, the latter being much more expensive but may be worth it?

- The GreenCell battery claims to be assembled in Poland & has a 30a BMS. 696Wh is £270. No mention of which cells are used.
- The Dillinger uses Panasonic/Sanyo cells in their 672Wh NT battery which has a is priced at £479+mount & charger.

Is the latter really worth over £200 more? Any advice or other recommendations appreciated.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I think it is safe to assume Greencell is using no name Chinese cells (and batteries they sell are very expensive).

I bought battery from PSW and I am happy with it.
You can have 48V 15Ah Samsung battery delivered for £175

Another option is Greenlance

PS Where did you buy Toseven motor?

Last edited:

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
I bought the motor from their own AliExpress store: 'ToSeven Motors Store'

Thanks, I've heard of PSW power batteries but wasn't sure of the quality

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Thanks, I've heard of PSW power batteries but wasn't sure of the quality
They sell batteries with no name and branded cells. It is up to you to choose a good battery.

PS Why did you choose Toseven motor from China? It is illegal and practically without warranty.

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
Price, torque sensing, allegedly better than the Tongsheng equivalent. I understand the potential warranty issues. The vast majority of DIY kits are illegal & I understand the risks. What kit would you recommend that is legal?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Price, torque sensing, allegedly better than the Tongsheng equivalent. I understand the potential warranty issues. The vast majority of DIY kits are illegal & I understand the risks. What kit would you recommend that is legal?
I have quite a few. Depends for what purpose.
TSDZ8 is the one I like most. It is legal and probably more powerful than Toseven.

Why do you like Eclipse battery so much? Is it because it has Panasonic grade A cells? You can buy something like that from Woosh.

Edit: OK... I see why you like Eclipse battery. Looks very nice, but price is really high and OOS as you said.
Out of batteries you shortlisted, Eclipse is by far the best. Dillinger and Greencell are in completely different league. Having that said I would still buy battery from PSW.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I would speak to @Woosh about your requirements - they sell batteries and chargers - they are more expensive but they use Panasonic and Samsung grade A cells and I think they have them certified and have insurance - David is risk averse and makes sure everything is safely done

Reactions: Sparkomatic

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
I would speak to @Woosh about your requirements - they sell batteries and chargers - they are more expensive but they use Panasonic and Samsung grade A cells and I think they have them certified and have insurance - David is risk averse and makes sure everything is safely done
Thank you! Their 720Wh downtube battery for £340 all-in looks promising. I'll be messaging them

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Thank you! Their 720Wh downtube battery for £340 all-in looks promising. I'll be messaging them
Yes - do talk to them - I think they sometimes have other capacities as sell as those on the web site - I recall a 20Ah 48V one - but I might be mistaken