20inch 24volt Alien kit

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
More info about the Alien 24volt 20inch installation in my Dahon Speed D7 folder:

Took the bike up and down a hill, total distance 3 miles average speed 13 MPH, max speed 25.5 MPH. This was in max throttle down the hill and pedelec mode up the hill for the majority of the time (just gave it max throttle to get over the mini roundabout 3/4 up the hill). Max no-load speed of motor 18.5 mph, max assisted speed 18mph. Max pedelec assist speed 13mph on flat and approx. 10mph up hill.

The bike now weighs 20Kg that's 8Kg more than the standard bike, this is made up from 4.5Kg battery and 3.5Kg front wheel hub motor.

The bike is not a moped and needs you to pedal although in moped mode I've gone up a steep hill at 6mph but just a little pedalling brings this back to 10-11mph where it is happy to sit.

Hope this helps I'll post photos and measure the hill incline to give a fuller report later...

Last edited:

stevew

Pedelecer
Not in my area by any chance are you ?
I want to buy one of these but can't get a reply from Alien by email.
Do you have any other way of contacting them

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
I just used the ebay email seller link and got a near instant reply and follow up to a few questions. I live in Basingstoke where are you?

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
"pedelec mode"

Did you get a pedelec with your Alien kit? All I got was the throttle.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
"pedelec mode"

Did you get a pedelec with your Alien kit? All I got was the throttle.
I'm guessing he meant peddling along with the trottle? I have heard of people using a pedal sensor along with this kit though. I think that the only benefit of a pedal sensor is that you can keep the motor running while taking your hand off the throttle to indicate. If you don't have a pedal sensor I'd recommend putting the throttle on the left side of the handlebars because at least then you can indicate right.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Yes, I expect that is what is meant. I have the throttle on my Speed TR on the left side as the right side of the handle bars is occupied by the gear lever and shifter. I can therefore signal right without losing throttle assistance.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Thinking about it, I don't know what this means though: "max assisted speed 18mph. Max pedelec assist speed 13mph on flat and approx. "

I would have thought that Max pedelec assist speed and max assisted speed were the same thing unless he has a seperate pedelec circuit that provides assistance only upto a lower speed than the throttle?

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Yes "The Maestro" has it. I got the sensor and magnet ring with my kit so since I was having problems with my bottom bracket, fixed the sensor at the same time as the bearing repair.

Did my first commute today, max speed I can maintain without breaking a sweat on slight undulation is 16-17 MPH with the thumb throttle at max (fitted to the RHS). With just pedalling I get a max speed of about 11MPH and still feel the motor, at 13MPH the assist is no more...

This seems to support the max torque being produced at half motor max speed.

BTW the motor is marked as 20inch with 250max rpm

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thinking about it, I don't know what this means though: "max assisted speed 18mph. Max pedelec assist speed 13mph on flat and approx. "

I would have thought that Max pedelec assist speed and max assisted speed were the same thing unless he has a seperate pedelec circuit that provides assistance only upto a lower speed than the throttle?
In fact some bikes do have different top speeds for pedelec and throttle. On a de-restricted Wisper 905se you can get an extra couple of mph by using the throttle. Urbanmover, I believe, is the other way round.

I think the reason for it, in the case of the Wisper, is that if they made the maximum power available to the pedelec, it would be too much at low speed - you would have wheel-spinning, etc.

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
I think the reason for it, in the case of the Wisper, is that if they made the maximum power available to the pedelec, it would be too much at low speed - you would have wheel-spinning, etc.
frank9755 that's a good point, even 10MPH can be too much assist when manoeuvring through subways etc. :eek:

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Yes "The Maestro" has it. I got the sensor and magnet ring with my kit so since I was having problems with my bottom bracket, fixed the sensor at the same time as the bearing repair.

Did my first commute today, max speed I can maintain without breaking a sweat on slight undulation is 16-17 MPH with the thumb throttle at max (fitted to the RHS). With just pedalling I get a max speed of about 11MPH and still feel the motor, at 13MPH the assist is no more...

This seems to support the max torque being produced at half motor max speed.

BTW the motor is marked as 20inch with 250max rpm
Come to think of it I did get a funny magenetic ring thing with wires coming off it with my kit but as it wasn't mentioned in the instructions I thought it was some random bit of junk that had found its way into the package accidentely. I think I might have binned it but I hope not. Is it easy to fit?

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
I think I might have binned it but I hope not. Is it easy to fit?
It was easy to fit for my bottom bracket, I had to remove the crank to fit the magnetic ring sensor, just pushes on the shaft and the lock nut on the bottom bracket had to be removed to fit the pick-up. So for this type of bracket you will need a crank tool about £8 and a "C" spanner £?

Not sure how to fit on the newer type bottom brackets though.