Will the BMS stop the discharge before batteries are beyond point of recharging?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Crud, never mind, just googled calculate Ah of ebike battery, some reading to be done. :)

So I am thinking of buying something like this to see how long it takes for battery to discharge.

At a 5A draw, if the battery was 36V 10Ah then the power should last for 2 hours, correct?

Will the BMS turn off the battery at 30V and if so, what does that actually mean for the Ah figure?
What I mean is, the Ah figure that is given for the battery, is that the discharge figure from full until BMS stops the power drain, or is the Ah figure - the number on each cell multiplied by how many cells in parallel,and the BMS is not taken into consideration?

I hope I have explained that well enough.

Thank you.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't forget to factor in 10-20% less Ah than on the label:

- salesmen are sometimes overly optimistic :rolleyes:
- over time the total capacity will diminish to about 80% of rated capacity so it is better to buy a larger battery than you think you need

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As AK has said you will never get the full capacity stated out of a battery.
Manufacturers and independent data show that you need to discharge to 2.8v per cell to achieve this, for battery/cell longevity typically 3.2v - 3.3v is the minimum practical use of any capacity, 10- 20% of capacity isn't typically usable.