Water based degreaser/cleaner

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
VIROSOL
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Professional-Eco-Friendly-Cleaner-Degreaser-For-Oil-Dirt-Grease-Marks-Stains/290935096954?epid=1388347382&hash=item43bd15467a:g:EQEAAMXQhpdRzUm2

This stuff is amazing.
It is a waterbased citrus smelling degreaser/cleaner for all your oily gunked up dirty bike parts and can even be used as a kitchen/household surface or floor or window cleaner too.
You water it down by 50:1 100:1 or even 200:1, basically less than a capful into a full bucket of water, warm or cold for lovely streak free clean windows/doors.
Don't use neat because A) your wasting it and B) it works better watered down.
Just swish your oily dirty parts in it and see how immaculately clean they come out.
If you need to scrub the dirt just grab your wifes best toothbrush and see how amazed she is at how clean that ends up after scrubbing the oil off the dirty components.
Don't get it anywhere you want to keep the oil so don't use as a general bike wash and make sure you wear disposable gloves as it will wash out the sweat/moisture from your skin too and
When done, and you have a container of black dirty liquid, being waterbased it is environmentally friendly and can be poured down the kitchen drain to degrease the plughole too and be amazed at how clean the container you used is.
It amazes me every time I use it and 5 litres will last a lifetime.
**** My Christmas prezzy to you all. ****

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Truck wash/traffic film remover is exceptionally good, but just be careful what you use it on.

You have covered the bases of the product well, but it would still be worth mentioning that it isn't wise to use it as alternative to a dedicated bike wash product.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
but it would still be worth mentioning that it isn't wise to use it as alternative to a dedicated bike wash product.
Post edited to mention that.
I had a feeling that if anyone would like this stuff it will be EddiePJ

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
One thing I have found to my cost, use the wrong detergent on or near discs, and the contamination can ruin the pads.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks, Awol, just what I need. I ordered some.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
That's a really good tip so here's something in kind.

When I was in the business of working on other people's bikes I became really frustrated at having to clean their transmissions before being able to do the job. Picking out a pound of grit from the rear cogs was not my idea of a good time and it was clear that the reason for this had to be the oil-based lubricants used on the chain and this was also responsible for much of the wear on chain and transmission parts.
After many years I stumbled on a lubricant which was water-based and which repelled dirt and grit.....sounds a bit too good to be true but I've used this on my own and friends bikes for a few years now and it does work. Chains and transmission parts remain clean as does the lower parts of the frame when sprayed.
https://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/ultimatebikesolution.html

No connection with this company...ect..ect...

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
After many years I stumbled on a lubricant which was water-based and which repelled dirt and grit.....sounds a bit too good to be true but I've used this on my own and friends bikes for a few years now and it does work. Chains and transmission parts remain clean as does the lower parts of the frame when sprayed.

I have a Scottoiler chain oiler. Its been on my bike for over ten years and it works great. Chain is always clean and quiet, and the wear is greatly reduced. Every now and then I fill the reservoir with the fluid you mention and pump it onto the chain over a 5 - 10 mile ride and everything looks like new.
images.jpeg e91af562adab5cca994b37d2595cbb30.jpg
The model I have is obsolete now, but they do an updated version.

• Informative
Reactions: awol

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
The stuff I now use has been developed for use on bikes and comes in a spray-on bottle. The same company have a lube for motorbike chains which is highly regarded.
My experience is the same as yours in that even in very muddy conditions all parts sprayed with the lube remain free from muck and grit and for the life of me I can't imagine why more cyclists don't use the stuff.....lack of publicity I imagine.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have some ready mixed in a hand spray bottle mixed about 20:1 or maybe 10:1 to use on the grill pan and the underside of the kitchen hob extractor fan.
I also use this to degrease and prepare small components ready for spray painting.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
That's a really good tip so here's something in kind.

When I was in the business of working on other people's bikes I became really frustrated at having to clean their transmissions before being able to do the job. Picking out a pound of grit from the rear cogs was not my idea of a good time and it was clear that the reason for this had to be the oil-based lubricants used on the chain and this was also responsible for much of the wear on chain and transmission parts.

This sounds like more or less the same thing:
https://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/scottoiler-fs-365.html

Advertisers