Washing ebike? - Without outside tap?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Hi,

How do you wash your ebike? Do you wash it once / week? I'll use mine mainly for commuting 30 miles / day

Do you use a bike wash detergent too? How often do you use lubricant / WD40? I'm guessing you protect the brake discs somehow too?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i clean and lube my bike after every ride but wd40 is for water displacement so id not use it as a lube more for cleaning.

i just use a damp cloth with some warm water let it dry and lube all the moving bits with the stuff below

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
i clean and lube my bike after every ride but wd40 is for water displacement so id not use it as a lube more for cleaning.

i just use a damp cloth with some warm water let it dry and lube all the moving bits with the stuff below

Could I ask why you linked to two types of WD40? Also that doesn't include degreaser?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Car wash/wax detergent and a wipe over with microfibre cloth is as good as any.

The stuff leaves a light shine on the bike which means dirt doesn't stick to it so much the next time.

But you would need to lug a bucket or two of water from wherever your nearest tap is.

A dry alternative is baby wipes, although probably not very environmentally friendly.

Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Car wash/wax detergent and a wipe over with microfibre cloth is as good as any.

The stuff leaves a light shine on the bike which means dirt doesn't stick to it so much the next time.

But you would need to lug a bucket or two of water from wherever your nearest tap is.

A dry alternative is baby wipes, although probably not very environmentally friendly.
Cool. So I could use triplewax, warn water and a sponge. Wash the bike, and then let it dry. Use degreaser. Let it dry. Thereafter use lube?

I have also seen the "BARBIERI PRO BIKE CHAIN CLEANER + LUBE & Degreaser"

I guess I could put degreaser through there? And you can buy that from screw fix apparently

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Could I ask why you linked to two types of WD40? Also that doesn't include degreaser?
because it is the right stuff to use tho any other stuff will work ;)

WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. ... WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime.9 Mar 2012

i use it for my chain to clean it then add wet bike lube as winter.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Why would you want to degrease it only to put lube back on again?

A degreaser would be used if a bike had been left filthy for many years and ordinary soap and water would not shift the dried on muck.

Maintenance sprays are another topic, and one which has caused many online arguments among cyclists.

I prefer GT85 to WD40 because it leaves a light lube/shine.

Don't rule out Mr Sheen or similar and a dry cloth - often a lot cheaper.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
because it is the right stuff to use tho any other stuff will work ;)

WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver. The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. ... WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime.9 Mar 2012

i use it for my chain to clean it then add wet bike lube as winter.
Thanks. Still not sure why you've linked to two types of WD40 stuff? It looks like they both do the same job?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019

A degreaser would be used if a bike had been left filthy for many years and ordinary soap and water would not shift the dried on muck.

Maintenance sprays are another topic, and one which has caused many online arguments among cyclists.

I prefer GT85 to WD40 because it leaves a light lube/shine.

Don't rule out Mr Sheen or similar and a dry cloth - often a lot cheaper.
Honestly? I had no clue, so I was hoping people here would help

So... Triplewax, and warm water - Wash, dry down.
Then add lube?

I prefer Triplewax over other car wax detergents, at least for cars. It's a bit thicker

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i clean my chain after every ride and not worn out a cassette yet.

Thanks. Still not sure why you've linked to two types of WD40 stuff? It looks like they both do the same job?

it was just the first two links i found but i use the muck off chain lube wet/dry.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Honestly? I had no clue, so I was hoping people here would help

So... Triplewax, and warm water - Wash, dry down.
Then add lube?

I prefer Triplewax over other car wax detergents, at least for cars. It's a bit thicker
Yes.

The only thing you will want to lube with any regularity is the chain.

Even then, that will not need doing after every ride.

What I do is wipe the chain with dry rag a few times, then drop a bit of lube on every fifth or sixth time.

Soundwave's link to the little WD40 dropper bottle is as good as any.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I gave up washing cleaning after a ride and bikes are lucky to get a clean once or twice a year. Go out ride bike gets mucky, clean it and next day do the same all over again. Pointless in my view.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I gave up washing cleaning after a ride and bikes are lucky yo get a clean once ot wice a year. Go out ride bike gets mucky, clean it and next day do the same all over again. Pointless in my view.
my group set alone is now over £500 rrp xx1 eagle and i sold my last 11spd cassette with thousands of miles on it for 70 quid.

when ur talking those prices its best to keep it all clean as possible but i even clean under the mud guards lol.

and just look at the crap in this. every part that moved felt like grit was in it and not even that old, the seller either road his bike up swamps or cleaned it with a pressure washer as never seen a clutch that bad felt like sand paper moving it lol.
DSC_0155.JPG

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I gave up washing cleaning after a ride and bikes are lucky yo get a clean once ot wice a year. Go out ride bike gets mucky, clean it and next day do the same all over again. Pointless in my view.
I'd probably do it once /week because then you can do it on a weekend

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I feel the same about cars. They might get put through an automatic car wash once a year but that's about it. Rain gets most of the muck off just like the house windows. My partner insists on a window cleaner but he had an accident a few months back (motorbike not falling off a ladder) so the windows haven't been cleaned all winter but I don't see any difference.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had my Number Two up in the workshop last week to replace chain and gears and gave it a quick wipe with a soft cloth. It did get a quick bucket wash last year at about the same time.

I do wipe the trike down with a rag a bit more often just so that it looks pretty :D