Wanted: sec/hand Wisper, Oxygen, Emotion in Midlands area

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi all

I might consider one of the above brands or similar, with a MTB/commuter/hybrid frame, as second-hand or ex-demo. Ideally it would still have some transferable warranty left, and have decent hydraulic disk brakes (or can have them fitted). I should think I am looking for a 10-12AH battery but not keen to go over 23kg in weight, since I'll often carry the bike over short distances. I'm 6'1" so looking for a larger frame and 26" wheels.

Brakes/gears/shocks must be brand-name, if only basic Shimano, and the stem/bottom bracket must be of standardised size. Extra points for existence of dealer network and good pics!

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
That sounds like well worth a look, thanks Tim. Let me know if it would okay to come see it tomorrow - I'd be coming in by train.

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
Hi Halfer,

Perhaps you could take a look at our MTB styled e-bikes. Although, we haven't got second hand machines, I'm sure the price points on offer will be of interest to you.

Please note that the price of Stealth will go up in 5 days. But you can pre-order it now at the current price if it is of interest.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Rami

They're very nice looking machines, with an excellent weight profile and good pricing.

I'm used to rear-wheel drive however, and whilst I'll probably give central-drive a try, I understand front-drive to have slipping problems in the wet: I need an all-weathers bike. I'd also be concerned that the 9Ah battery would after a year or so no longer have the range I need, but perhaps limiting the PAS setting would help there! (My current throttle style from my old 10Ah Juicy is probably quite power-hungry, but there was no assistance modes on that to save the battery. And, to be fair, that was at least 3kg heavier).

I'd have some concerns about the Zoom forks and the unbranded mech disks as well - I've had quite a lot of components like these fail in the past. Still, as I say, I'd swap out the disks with decent hydraulic ones anyway.

If I get to Atmosphere bikes (in Coventry, so reasonably close to me) I will take a peek :D

CycloTricity

Trade Member
Aug 8, 2012
www.cyclotricity.com
Thanks Jon :). I'm pretty sure Atmosphere are out of stock of CycloTricity by now. Let me know where exactly you are located and I'll see if I can point you to another dealer.

Front-drive slipping is never a problem with a mere 250W motor as the power/speed isn't enough to cause such an effect, even in wet conditions. You don't need to worry about this unless it's a very high torque/high rpm front-drive, which isn't road-legal of course. Besides, the posture you usually have on a MTB makes the weight more evenly distributed on both wheels which contributes to better grip. I recently found a review online about our Stealth bike, there is a comment there about how well the bike grips: www.docklandsboy.co.uk » Cyclotricity Stealth – ebike review

Yes, a PAS does make a huge difference to the range of the battery as oppose to throttle only. By the way, our mech calipers are not unbranded, they are in fact ZOOM as well, just like the forks. Of course they are not top end like Avid or Shimano, but still do quite a good job and great value for the price of the bike. If you prefer V-brakes, perhaps you could take a look at the Revolver model instead.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm central Birmingham, near enough. I've no car, but happy to take the train - hopefully will be seeing a few bike shops this week.