TSDZ2 with OSF in Cadence Mode

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I was going to pursue this last year, but got sidetracked. My wife was unhappy with torque sensing on her TSDZ2B equipped bike. Not enough power. The embrusa/OSF allowed me to do a switch from Hybrid mode to Cadence mode in the field. She liked it immediately, and I was surprised at the difference in response. With the embrusa settings, there's a strong assist in Eco/Tour with light pedal force. Completely unlike a Tong Sheng,

I made cadence the default setup for her. Backed the embrusa assist levels down a bit for Eco/Tour to make it more like our hub motor bikes. We did a 20 mile ride today. I don't think she left Eco mode. I didn't feel any heat on the motor casing, My wattmeter said 6.2 WH/mile, no different from Hybrid mode while peak current was 11.5 amps on a 48V battery.

I haven't tried it yet on my TSDZ2. I don't have a problem in Hybrid, but if I ever get tired on a ride, maybe I will.

Reactions: Woosh and Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
An interesting setup (cadence mode) to consider for those wanting that sort of assist which is more akin to those choosing a Bafang mid drive.

Out of interest, what is your setup for measuring watt hours per mile? 6.2 Wh/mile is a really low level of power consumption - I'm guessing the all up weight of rider plus bike is fairly light and/or the ride terrain is not too hilly or demanding?

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I use one of those inexpensive wattmeters between the battery and the controller. They can be variable in accuracy, but this one has been verified to be within 5% on current with my expensive clamp-on DC ammeter and also a fairly accurate load tester. I assume that if the current is close, whatever algorithm they use to integrate out the WH over time will be proportional.

Another method is I use to measure how many AH are needed to recharge the battery. This will in principal be a higher number than discharge, but given the instrumentation, it's close enough,

Riding fairly level terrain at 10-12 mph on the TSDZ2's, my wife will get 6WH/mile. Her other ebike is a 20" converted folder, with a Q100H on back wheel and 20A controller. That's about 7-8WH/mile. I am 60 lbs heavier, and burn 20% more.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Another method is I use to measure how many AH are needed to recharge the battery. This will in principal be a higher number than discharge, but given the instrumentation, it's close enough,
The above is the method I use too and as you say the 'Wh' re-charge figure is going to be higher than the actual 'Wh' discharge, but by how much I can't tell as I've no calibrated instrumentation to do any comparisons with, but the method used is consistent and useful for relative comparison purposes.

I have two TSDZ2 conversions (same configuration settings and same battery) - one of the bikes is noticeably heavier than the other (has a Carradice saddlebag and far too much stuff in it plus pannier rack and a frame lock, wider tyres etc) vs the other bike with just a small seat pack, carbon forks and 28mm tyres. The lighter bike consumes typically 6 +/- 0.5 Wh/mile as I use this for faster group rides where speeds are often above the motor cut-off point or even sometimes with the motor assist set to zero (not off). The heavier (and more comfortable) bike is for sauntering with my older cycling buddies as we search for coffee/cake and 7-8 Wh/mile is more typical.

The heavier bike is around 20-22Kg and the lighter one maybe 4-5Kg lighter and I'm (herump) 91Kg and round here the foothills of the South Downs are not flat - lol!