Thinking of selling my Emate City Ocygen 2011 Model

RobinRamone

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2011
Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here goes. I just want some feedback.

I am thinking of selling my Oxygen Emate City Electric Bike. I have used it for over a year and done approx 2,700 miles. Its 14 months old.

I have had many punctures and changed the tyres to Schwalbe City Jet. I cycle to work and got the bike for £1400.

What is a decent resale amount for the condition and age. It does not do the 70 miles off one charge anymore, probably more like 40 but not at full power. Its not as white and shiney as it was, I live in Scotland and did a wee bit of off road during the floods.

The reason for sale is that whilst I apprecciate the benefits of Electric Bikes I feel being a diabetic I need to put in the exercise.

Thanks,

Robin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At one year old the guide price from my formula for pricing s/h e-bikes is as follows Robin:

First find the cost of a replacement battery and deduct that from the price you originally paid for the bike.

Then take 25% (one year) depreciation from that net bike cost.

Then add back half the new battery cost to reflect the life left in the battery.

For example, if a new battery costs £400 say:

£1400 less that £400 = £1000

That £1000 less 25% = £750

Add the half battery cost of £200 = £950 s/h selling price.

That can be adjusted up or down according to bike condition, and anything less or more than one exact year of age. In your case at 14 months old the depreciation figure would be a deduction of 27%, modified by the condition if necessary

N.B. The reason for separating the bike and battery costs is the very different life of each and the high proportion of the battery price in the original cost.

For others interested in this formula, the depreciation deduction amount for more years after taking away the new battery price are:

2 year old bike: 35%
3 year old bike: 45%
4 year old bike: 55%
5 year old bike: 60%
6 year old bike: 65%
7 year old bike: 70%
8 year old bike: 75%
9 year old bike: 80%

This age depreciation formula is roughly derived from motor trade practice. The lithium battery age cost depreciation is based on one year halved value, two years no value. Subsequent batteries fitted on older bikes being treated in the same way from their original purchase date.

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
robin, try it on ebay......put a reserve on that you will not sell below. realistically maybe you could get 500 to 700.....
especially now its nearly winter in scotland......maybe a bike shop may part ex if you are buying an expensive new one from them....but have found nobody really interested in px of e-bikes, and second hand prices in scotland not as good as in the wealthy english counties....
regards and good luck....