The original Beastamatic is back, and it's angrier...

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Received my new sensorless controller today, from e-crazyman.
Took 11 days from order to door, so not bad considering it came from China.
Removed old controller and battery docking plate from bike, which gave me some space to hide the wiring loom.

DSC00066.jpg

Pretty straight forward swap, apart from the following:

• The battery connector on the controller needed to be cut off. It has a neg and a pos wire, but also another smaller pos wire. I needed to solder the smaller wire to the main pos wire, as this is meant to be attached to a switch. The battery has a key switch, so I didn't need this function.

• I found that although the motor wiring had the same 3 colours, red, green and yellow, the yellow and blue wires needed to be swapped. Otherwise the motor refused to run.

• The bike's brake cut-offs have 2 individual connectors from each brake. The controller only has one cut-off connector. I therefore parallelled the brake lever wire together, and wired it into the one connector on the controller. Still works the same as original set-up.

How does it run?
Wow, I've heard horror stories on how naff sensorless controllers are to run.
Well I can say with confidence, that this little beauty runs sweet as a nut.
Smooth, progressive pull from standstill, and none of that stuttering I heard so much about.
The controller is rated at 25A, and it shows. The pull is so much stronger than the stock, shunt modded controller.
No idea what effect this will have on battery life or range, but hey, I'm having too much fun to worry :D
I'll probably stick with sensorless in the future, as there's no hall sensor failures to worry about.

Beastamatic is back and he's angry ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Brilliant work.
Have you a link to where to buy the controller?
Are you now on a 36v battery?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Brilliant work.
Have you a link to where to buy the controller?
Are you now on a 36v battery?
Link here:

36V 350W brushless controller for E - bike & scooter | eBay

You have to ask for sensorless, same price.
Not sure whether he can do sensorless with pedal sensor, but I took mine off.
It's now working on 36v :)
The main controller is totally waterproof, but gonna seal up the hole where the loom goes through with some sealing putty.

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
So the e-crazyman doesn't allow pedelec?
Have you programmed it yet by PC or just used the factory settings? There's some free software on Endless-Sphere that you need apparently...

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
So the e-crazyman doesn't allow pedelec?
Have you programmed it yet by PC or just used the factory settings? There's some free software on Endless-Sphere that you need apparently...
He may well be able to supply one with pedelec function, but I didn't require this, so didn't ask.
I'm more than happy with the controller's factory settings, and think I'll be pushing my luck trying to squeeze any more performance out of the bike.
If they can be programmed via PC sotware, then that's a Brucie bonus for anyone wishing to customize their set-up ;)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Cage the beast! :D

Yes, it can support pedelec, all you have to do is ask for the spec you want and Keywin can supply. Interesting yours was shipped from China, both of mine came from the UK. Theres details on how to program them on ES and I've also noted how in my Alien modifications thread from some time back.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ecrazyman is currently building mema controller too.
Basically one that accepts voltage from 20v up to 100v. Basically I want a controller that has full width of voltage or as wide as I can get.

I've removed the solder on my shunt now to dial it back to 20amps.