Strange problem...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I haven't been riding my pedelec much lately, concentrating on getting some trike km under the belt when on weekends. Yesterday I charged up the battery because I was in a hurry, checked tyre pressure and set out. The motor come on briefly then cut out. The motor didn't come on again until I set off for the return journey and it was just as brief! I was riding too fast for the assistance to switch on... :eek:

So much for electrical assistance and a relaxed ride for errands! 3.4 Wh/km means I could now get 100 km from a battery that only gave 70 km before.

Reactions: chris_n

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I haven't been riding my pedelec much lately, concentrating on getting some trike km under the belt when on weekends. Yesterday I charged up the battery because I was in a hurry, checked tyre pressure and set out. The motor come on briefly then cut out. The motor didn't come on again until I set off for the return journey and it was just as brief! I was riding too fast for the assistance to switch on... :eek:

So much for electrical assistance and a relaxed ride for errands! 3.4 Wh/km means I could now get 100 km from a battery that only gave 70 km before.
This "problem" would make the new lightweight/small battery bikes a possible option.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It has me scratching my head about motorising the trike. For weight it really comes back around to putting a Q100C in the back wheel and giving it enough Amps to push me up most hills at 25 km/h... 50-34 compact road double and wide range 10 speed cassette will cover all situations.

I think that the GSM unrestricted and my current riding position (seat fully laid down) could be good for +60 km/h on the flat. A 54-38 road double would do the trick - climb like a goat and go like a scalded cat :D

Battery wise I could get my target daily km from about 30 Ah (nominative) of Multistar LiPo but even 20 Ah with a 40 minute charge at lunch time will be enough it seems. That is a few kg saved for sure (with the right charger - my power supply weighs as much as many batteries...).

I also can't wait to wear out my Big Ben on the rear and get a tubeless Almotion on there! :cool: