Speakers on an ebike - any thoughts?

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Hi all,
I'm not a fan of wearing headphones while cycling as I quite like to hear what is coming when going slowly, and be able to turn my head to hear what is coming when going faster.

However, now that the bike is going OK I'm beginning to wonder about adding more gadgets (!)

Has anyone put powered speakers on their bike? If so what experience have you had of hearing them? My thoughts are that wind noise above about 12 mph is significant, so I'm actually wondering if it is not even worth doing. I tend to pedal along at about 15-17 mph on the flat, so would like to hear audiobooks at this speed without it blaring out.

Most I've seen are designed for motorbike use, and would seem to work when they are sheltered and sound can reflect off a fairing/wind deflector, but I'm not sure of their efficacy otherwise.

Thanks in hope,
Phil

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I've had mixed results:
Best for satnav directions was a bluetooth earpiece, but that blew out of my ear'ole on a fast downhill.
I now put my phone in the top pocket of my backpack, so it's just behind my head & that's ok upto about 12 mph, then wind noise obliterates it.
Keep meaning to try my little powered spherical veho speaker in the same place...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Has anyone put powered speakers on their bike? If so what experience have you had of hearing them?
I think one forum member tried this and reported that he couldn't hear anything because the voices inside his head were louder than the speaker output.

Two men, armed with a large butterfly net, arrived at his house in an anonymous white panel van and took him away. The last I heard, he was getting better and it's hoped that he will be well enough to remove the speakers early next year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please don't, it's bad enough with the noise sometimes blaring out from cars and the very occasional motorbike so equipped.

It's claimed to be music, but how electronically generated loud thuds constitute music is not explained.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Thanks all for the input. About the only thing I miss when cycling is the ability to catch up with podcasts, listen to Radio 4 and the like.
Maybe I'll have to continue just listening to the voices in my head :)

Reactions: axolotl and tillson

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Maybe I'll have to continue just listening to the voices in my head :)
I never listen to the voices in my head. If I did, a couple of people would be in trouble. ;)

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Thanks all for the input. About the only thing I miss when cycling is the ability to catch up with podcasts, listen to Radio 4 and the like.
I know exactly where you're coming from. And I'm not comfortable with wearing headphones either. I know people do it, but I'd rather be aware of the traffic that's about to pass me.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it would be possible to build some very small speakers into the helmet. They wouldn't need to be anything like as powerful as speakers mounted to the handlebars or frame, and they'd still allow you to hear what's going on around you.