Powered Pedicabs/Rickshaws seized by the Met.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No one being prosecuted apparently but all sent a warning letter.
All machines were illegal due to over powered motors and no speed restriction, none were licensed or insured a legal requirement and riders had no drivers license as well.

Reactions: Amoto65

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Perhaps plod will put all those seized machines on their auction web site, I doubt it somehow.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The repeated use of the phrase, "Maximum power outage" suggests to me that this was a labelling issue. Maximum speed is another thing entirely and is obvious and directly measureable. I'm not an advocate for illegal bikes per se, but that this took the time of 40 officers to, "Keep the streets safe" seems to me to be a mis-allocation of scant resources when there are far more urgent issues.
To come back to that phrase " Maximum power outage", does this imply that there was a watt meter involved? Are they actually measuring power draw and then saying it should be 250w? If so we're all in trouble.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I reckon it is more to do with lack of insurance with them carrying fare paying passengers if the bikes are classed as illegal.

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The operation was likely due to complaints from legal operators who probably felt there business was under threat. Don't forget they are carrying passengers without being licensed or insured on the public highways, tourists/customers need to be sure they are safe and legal.
No motors can be seen so looks like rear hub drive as cranks are visible, as we know the cheapest kits are the D/D ones available which are 500 or 1000w.

The operation was the second such one and an earlier one removed 20 odd off the road, either the message isn't getting through to the dodgy 3 wheeled taxi's or they are just willing to take the risk to make money.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's exactly as Nealh says, just an intermittent exercise.

In fact many of them are using illegal higher powered motors since our usual 250 watt rated motors aren't up to shifting circa 140 kilos of trike plus three people on board, rider and two passengers. The total weight can approach a quarter tonne.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
So what will happen to those impounded machines I wonder ? Presumably it's not illegal to own such a piece of equipment only use it, so when they're handed back what can the owners do with them....get the correct licences I guess.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I suspect correct licences, plus the insurance that would be involved, would make the whole thing financially untenable. From what has been said it is awkward and expensive enough to get insurance for any s-pedalec, but to get it to cover paying passengers would be even more difficult.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
From what I saw on TV they were ripping tourists off......saying £10 for a journey then saying £10 a minute per person.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So what will happen to those impounded machines I wonder ? Presumably it's not illegal to own such a piece of equipment only use it, so when they're handed back what can the owners do with them....get the correct licences I guess.
Since many are over powered and fall well short of the requirements for motor vehicles, they can't be made legal for the roads. So they may be crushed, since the owners may not claim them back and the magistrates can order that anyway if used illegally.

A few owners may claim them and remove the illegal motors to use them on pedal power only as designed.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I don't think they will be handed back unless the owners could provide proof of insurance, it would be the same as a car being impounded for no insurance and no license.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here the lad rides one with a 750W Bafang BBS02 marked (badly) 250W. He is set up as a proper business and insured and top speed is limited to 25 kph, I pass him under pedal power alone. I think 25 kph is the sweet spot for little old lady passengers...

He charges 2€ per km with a 2€ fee per ride on top so a mile would cost 5.20€

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
No one being prosecuted apparently but all sent a warning letter.
All machines were illegal due to over powered motors and no speed restriction, none were licensed or insured a legal requirement and riders had no drivers license as well.

Is that not one of the jobs the Police get paid to do?
I myself see no problem when the bikes are illegal....as getting people injured and having no insurance is really bad news!
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They get paid to do lots of jobs, but not enough to do them all properly. I'm sure there would be lots of time involved taking this case further rather than just issuing a warning. It might prove a small extra deterrent, but the fact they have bothered to take the steps so far is already a deterrent.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's all about resources and trying to keep roads safer rather then being over handed.
It is like a lot of the Met operations /exercises trying to keep streets safe and offering advice, it's not just the Rickshaws. E scooters users and non compliant cyclists (Red light running) etc, have been targeted in the past.
Generally no one is prosecuted, details are taken and a warning is given. Second time round might be different if caught, also why riders can get away with riding S-peds or derestricted bikes as the likelihood of being caught is zero.

• Agree
Reactions: Sanjuro and flecc