Power

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The power (Watts) is less (PAS = Pedal Assist Sensor)

Full charge 36v battery and typical 15 Amp controller = 630 Watts
Empty battery = about 480 Watts

Motor speed will also be reduced because it = RPM per Volt X number of Volts

In the real world that means I used to recharge as soon as the voltage reached 35.9v or there abouts. Now that I use a 44v battery I recharge at 43.8v so I always have about the same or more power than with a full 36v battery.

D

Deleted member 25121

The power (Watts) is less (PAS = Pedal Assist Sensor)

Full charge 36v battery and typical 15 Amp controller = 630 Watts
Empty battery = about 480 Watts

Motor speed will also be reduced because it = RPM per Volt X number of Volts

In the real world that means I used to recharge as soon as the voltage reached 35.9v or there abouts. Now that I use a 44v battery I recharge at 43.8v so I always have about the same or more power than with a full 36v battery.
Yes, a 44V battery will store more energy than a 36V one if their AmpHour capacities are the same.
I think the OP was asking whether the motor assistance drops as the battery voltage drops.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, a 44V battery will store more energy than a 36V one if their AmpHour capacities are the same.
I think the OP was asking whether the motor assistance drops as the battery voltage drops.
anotherkiwi had covered the original question in the first part of his reply. The 630w was for full 36v battery (42v) and the 480w for empty 36v battery (32v).

The comment about a 44v battery was an extra aside.; relevant though not a direct answer to the question.

D

Deleted member 25121

anotherkiwi had covered the original question in the first part of his reply. The 630w was for full 36v battery (42v) and the 480w for empty 36v battery (32v).

The comment about a 44v battery was an extra aside.; relevant though not a direct answer to the question.
The comparison of power available would be applicable if the controller was delivering full current all the time. Watts = volts * amps.
In the real world that wouldn't be the case and typically the lower battery voltage isn't too apparent, it's only when the motor is working hard that it's noticable.

Isn't that what you find?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The comparison of power available would be applicable if the controller was delivering full current all the time. Watts = volts * amps.
In the real world that wouldn't be the case and typically the lower battery voltage isn't too apparent, it's only when the motor is working hard that it's noticable.

Isn't that what you find?
Yes, I agree with that .... though of course it is when the motor is working hard that the loss matters. Also when the motor is working hard you will get voltage sag as well which exaggerate the difference; maybe to the point the BMS cuts the battery completely to protect it.