Possibly the worst cycle accessory i have seen this year

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I think the concept of these is good, but the application is dreadful.
they are far too bulky in my opinion.
The directional arrow seems to be always visible. Drivers won’t know the difference of them being stowed and deployed.
A much simpler set of orange flashing lights would be more than enough. And these already exist!

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I haven't seen them myself, so I don't have an opinion really, either way, but may I ask why you feel that they are not a good idea?
And anyone else with a strong opinion, for or against them!
I am fascinated to learn more!
regards to all
Andy
"Safely swerve around obstacles" What in hell difference do they make in the example shown in the video?.

Main problem see is that they are not really visible in daylight. Night use might at lease help a little bit. Need something more obviously visible but only in actual left/right use for direction, in daylight for a start.

• Agree
Reactions: Deus and 01wellsd

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
In Daylight I think you'd be better off with something really bright in use and directionally controlled that you wear on your back or shoulders. Your head may not be wide enough to indicate distance even with an arrow.

Reactions: KirstinS

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
"Safely swerve around obstacles" What in hell difference do they make in the example shown in the video?.

Main problem see is that they are not really visible in daylight. Night use might at lease help a little bit. Need something more obviously visible but only in actual left/right use for direction, in daylight for a start.
They apparently do flash very bright LEDs, but I agree, especially in the daytime, swerving around obstacles could be a really bad idea indeed.
That is also a strange way to advertise them IMHO too!
I do have two mirrors, but if I did not know 200% exactly what is near to me, I would rather pull up, and check, not swerve......
Thanks for the reply, and they will now not become my preferred Birthday present in October!
Regards
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I dislike all these arrow or flashing light direction indicators for bicycles. The fact that they are not a standard feature on bikes and set far too narrow means that drivers are likely to miss them. A simple straight outstretched arm is far clearer and being in the drivers eyeline is not easily missed.

For night cycling reflective back cycling gloves do the trick.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
First I think he would have served himself far better getting some mirrors or at least turning to look round behind more than the shots indicate he does.

I forgo one hand gripping on the bars and very "pointedly" signal to any involved party exactly where I intend turning, then only do it when I know it is safe to do so. Riding at manoeuvring speed single handed IMO presents little risk.

I rarely ride in dark enough conditions where in a drivers headlights they would not clearly see my arm clad in Hi Vis top, stuck way out.

I also feel in day light conditions, most drivers would not notice something as novel as a little plastic arm pointing out, seeking something far more indicative of what the cyclist intend to do. I will wait till they are mainstream and so being looked out for by motorists, probably that's a longer wait than I can give.

Then I also don't like adding clobber like them to my bikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: oriteroom and flecc

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Looks like a gimmick, I think I will stick with my arm in a hi viz. I looked at these gloves a while back and reckon they would be a better buy if you want some kind of indicator light.

Reactions: TedG and KirstinS

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is it my computer, or is that flashing glove pulling in sync with the flashing, both his arm and the road itself? ;)

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Yes, the worst cycling accessory - I'd go as far as to say that they present a hazard to the user in that other road users are very likely not see them mainly because they are simply not used to seeing such things.

Using your hand fully extended at shoulder height (assuming no physical constraints of course) is by far and away the most assured way of indicating your intentions to other road users.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I looked at this and came up with an idea.
If there could be developed the ‘indicator shirt’ A shirt with rows of orange led’s on the sleeves.
when an outstretched arm is deployed for turning the leads would flash to draw the attention of other road users of your intentions.
Now to operate the led’s it would have to incorporate a switch mechanism of some sort, wired direct from the actuating switch to the individual ‘light sleeve’.

1). A switch on the elbow?

Pros.
At hand metaphorically speaking easy to actuate on and off with practice.

cons.
Rider when turning either way would look like an awkward grandad trying to do the chicken dance at a wedding or about to fall off or have a motor neurone disability.

2). On the thighs of ones legs or top of head.

pros.
Able to easily Operate by the hand other than the direction hand.

cons.
possible loss of control having both hand off the handle bars.
Coordination difficulties in tapping head or leg with opposing hand while indicating and completing the turning manoeuvre. The visual look of a mobile one man busker on a bike.

I’m not technically minded as some folk on here so others could better my ideas I’m sure.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Simply follow the Highway codes "Arm Signals" as these are what everone driving "ought" to know and expect to see plus to anyone else they are about as intuitive to understand as it is possible to be. Wearing hi-vis at night.

Why oh why clutter up and complicate a bike other than to make money for someone seeking gulible punters.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Simply follow the Highway codes "Arm Signals" as these are what everone driving "ought" to know and expect to see plus to anyone else they are about as intuitive to understand as it is possible to be. Wearing hi-vis at night.

Why oh why clutter up and complicate a bike other than to make money for someone seeking gulible punters.
I agree. However, once on a folding bike with narrow handlebars I raised my arm to indicate just as my font wheel hit a pot hole (it was dark and I hadn't seen it). I was thrown off and I injured my elbow quite badly. So if implemented properly, an indicator system could have it's uses. I'd hate to see this sort of thing mandated though...

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I looked at this and came up with an idea.
If there could be developed the ‘indicator shirt’ A shirt with rows of orange led’s on the sleeves.
when an outstretched arm is deployed for turning the leads would flash to draw the attention of other road users of your intentions.
Now to operate the led’s it would have to incorporate a switch mechanism of some sort, wired direct from the actuating switch to the individual ‘light sleeve’.

1). A switch on the elbow?

Pros.
At hand metaphorically speaking easy to actuate on and off with practice.

cons.
Rider when turning either way would look like an awkward grandad trying to do the chicken dance at a wedding or about to fall off or have a motor neurone disability.

2). On the thighs of ones legs or top of head.

pros.
Able to easily Operate by the hand other than the direction hand.

cons.
possible loss of control having both hand off the handle bars.
Coordination difficulties in tapping head or leg with opposing hand while indicating and completing the turning manoeuvre. The visual look of a mobile one man busker on a bike.

I’m not technically minded as some folk on here so others could better my ideas I’m sure.
Aldi used to do reflective Velcro bands for arms or legs ( trouser clips) with a ring of flashing led’s driven by a button battery. They were only about £2 so I bought a couple to hang on the rack bag. They would be fine for wrist indicators.

Reactions: KirstinS

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Aldi used to do reflective Velcro bands for arms or legs ( trouser clips) with a ring of flashing led’s driven by a button battery. They were only about £2 so I bought a couple to hang on the rack bag. They would be fine for wrist indicators.
My dog used to have a reflective led collar, any Vicars here?

Last edited:

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall

my post was tongue in cheek lol