New Project Started

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I need to find a shorter stem too, otherwise the weight in the basket will act like a pedelum and I won't be able to ride in a straight line.
Its possible to fit an additional quill type stem (often found on budget bikes) by taking off cap and punching down the spider nut. You can then fit two sets of handlebars, the upper as usual but a lower cut down set of bars on a shorter stem to support the basket as shown incomplete below.54530

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Its possible to fit an additional quill type stem (often found on budget bikes) by taking off cap and punching down the spider nut. You can then fit two sets of handlebars, the upper as usual but a lower cut down set of bars on a shorter stem to support the basket as shown incomplete below.
Great idea, but I have another solution for now.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I need to find a shorter stem too, otherwise the weight in the basket will act like a pedelum and I won't be able to ride in a straight line.
Stem 120mm -> 40mm saves 80mm, basket length ~250mm, hmm. How about a child seat clamp around the head tube so as to frame mount the basket?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Where are they then?
They are still in China. Tongsheng told me they should be ready about now, then 5 weeks at sea. I will check with the sales rep tomorrow. The torque sensor kits for hub motors arrived this morning. Andy is testing it on his bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The problem in post #17 is now solved, and I found a shorter stem on one of my other bikes. Waiting for delivery of the MPMTB tyres before continuing.

see how handy a basket and a pile of lead weights is when you have one of those stupid Aldi stands:

Reactions: guerney and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
see how handy a basket and a pile of lead weights is when you have one of those stupid Aldi stands:
Oh I dunno... after a thorough clean with isopropyl alcohol, my Aldi bike stand (with admittedly poorly made clamps) held my 24.41kg+ bike with battery attached steady enough with me operating the throttle to update my thoroughly underwhelming and supremely boring Aldi spoke light video. The throttle was in my hand not on the handlebar, and I wasn't holding the bike. For more joined up patterns I'd need to derestrict for over 20mph and use Magic Lantern firmware on the camera, not that I plan to do either for this. Perhaps you should have kept your Dahon Jetstream? (Which wasn't actually designed by Dahon, according to @Bonzo Banana)

A three clamp head in an adjustable triangular arrangement would be better.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How much is the + ?
24.412kg, 24.413kg , we need to know :)
I really don't know, my digital luggage scale lacks digits. It's + another 1800LM headlight + 2400LM headlight + aluminium waterproof two way motorbike switch + wires + Oxford safety arm + Planet X Super Mini 2 Way 200 Lumen Bike Helmet Light made red and situated on the Oxford safety arm + another bright red LED light + Minoura handlebar extension + various alloy GoPro extension arms of different types + probably other stuff I can't recall just now. Tell you what, I'll weigh it if I can lift it :D

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I really don't know, my digital luggage scale lacks digits. It's + another 1800LM headlight + 2400LM headlight + aluminium waterproof two way motorbike switch + wires + Oxford safety arm + Planet X Super Mini 2 Way 200 Lumen Bike Helmet Light made red and situated on the Oxford safety arm + another bright red LED light + Minoura handlebar extension + probably other stuff I can't recall just now. Tell you what, I'll weigh it if I can lift it :D
I'm going to have to weigh my bikes now !

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I'm going to have to weigh my bikes now !
Carrera xl rear hub conversion (bafang G020) with mudguards, lights, kickstand, 2* rear panniers (empty) 22kg without battery
Boardman Large 29er, BBS02b , lights. Kickstand, 17kg without battery
48v20Ah battery 4.5kg
Claud Butler step through XF08C conversion, with 36v 20ah battery, will have to weigh it when I get it back, but that was much lighter than the carrera

Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Building a bike for your sister d8veh ?